Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Hot Shalosh Seudos

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:51 pm
My family was saying today that we would love to have something warm for shalosh seudos on really cold shabbosim. DD suggested overnight kugel. Is it feasible to have kugel in the oven in essence for 23 hours? How do I do this? Do you have any other suggestions?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:55 pm
Hot usually is a more filling meal. Are you up to that in the winter when a big lunch was just eaten a few hours before?
You CAN do overnight kugel if you add enough water.
Personally, in the winter I would rather go with a warm drink. Save the hot food to enjoy again after shabbos when there’s more of an appetite.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 7:59 pm
You can put potato knishes or bourekas on the blech; we do that sometimes.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:00 pm
Hot noodle cups (minus the seasoning packet which can't be cooked with hot water on shabbos)?

Simple1

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:08 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Hot usually is a more filling meal. Are you up to that in the winter when a big lunch was just eaten a few hours before?
You CAN do overnight kugel if you add enough water.
Personally, in the winter I would rather go with a warm drink. Save the hot food to enjoy again after shabbos when there’s more of an appetite.

I feel this way too. You can have a soup with bagels or with a full meal for Melava Malka.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:09 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Hot noodle cups (minus the seasoning packet which can't be cooked with hot water on shabbos)?

Noodle soup cups can't be made on shabbos at all, wether you put the spice or not. You're cooking the noodles by adding hot water.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:10 pm
Soup in the crock pot? But I agree, a full meal on a short shabbos is just too much for us. We do breads and spreads with salad or cut veggies.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:12 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Noodle soup cups can't be made on shabbos at all, wether you put the spice or not. You're cooking the noodles by adding hot water.

Look up ask the rabbi in Ami this week. Noodle soup cups in America are all fully precooked and can be made on shabbos without the spice packet.
In Israel the manufactured noodles are only partially cooked and therefore cannot be made on shabbos.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:12 pm

AYLOR

The noodles are already cooked, just dehydrated. (Some will tell you that goes for the spices as well.) Thus, אין בישול אחר בישול comes into play.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:13 pm

There was an article about this last week
There seems to be a difference in how companies cook the ramen
and countries

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:15 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
AYLOR

The noodles are already cooked, just dehydrated. (Some will tell you that goes for the spices as well.) Thus, אין בישול אחר בישול comes into play.

We asked and were told that because adding water changes the texture to soft, it's like cooking the noodles & cannot be made on shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:15 pm
Sorry, some of you misunderstood.

I didn't say I was planning on a full meal at this time of year! Just one freestanding thing, but hot. If we have kugel that would be all we have. If we have soup thats all we would have. Etc.

Olive, how much water would you add to make overnight kugel work? Anyone else have precise directions.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:18 pm
We asked and were told that because adding water changes the texture to soft, it's like cooking the noodles & cannot be made on shabbos.

Do you make instant coffee on shabbos? Curious as to the difference.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 8:22 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Do you make instant coffee on shabbos? Curious as to the difference.

Yes, coffee is different because it dissolves. It doesn't get cooked into a solid food.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:21 am
OP, there are so many things you can make and then warm up on the plata just for seuda shlishit.
Do you use a plata? Or a blech? We've done ziti, hot dogs just to name a few. Its always fine. Just like food on friday night and shabbat day, put on the plata for a bit and its nice and warm.

Another mom

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:42 am
We treat it like the morning meal - I warm up precooked things like kugels or macaroni. I wouldn't keep soup for 23 hours!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note