Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Personality types explain so much where have I been !!
1  2  Next

lk1234

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:51 am
I always see posts with a bunch of letters INTJ INFS etc. and had no clue what those posts were about and therefore ignored them. I figured it was some sort of computer code or something!! Recently on imamother someone posted about a certain personality type and when I started googling I saw that it describes a person in my life to a tee. I had so much resentment and pent up anger, frustration and charge regarding this person yet after 1/2 hour of researching their personality type I realize that it is simply their personality. That is how their personality is. I've been to therapy to help me deal with this person with little to show. And then 1/2 hour of fast research and poof -years of anger, resentment just melted away. I'm feeling a lot of different feelings now:
1. annoyed I wasted so much time and money on therapy on this person when my answer was so simple.
2. wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with personality typing and realizing that the person that they struggle with is just this way.
3. curious about which book or video to read to get a more in depth but still easy broad stroked understanding of personality types.

I feel like I've been living under a rock - how come I missed this!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:55 am
I love learning about personality types (not only Myers Briggs)and agree that finding out about them can be life changing. I first learned about the enneagram mode than 20 years ago and remember being shaken by the epiphanies.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:58 am
Eh. Overrated.

lk1234

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:59 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I love learning about personality types (not only Myers Briggs)and agree that finding out about them can be life changing. I first learned about the enneagram mode than 20 years ago and remember being shaken by the epiphanies.

Yes!! And just as an aside I've taken many parenting and self development courses that have been life changing. I feel like this is in that category yet free and so easy and quick to understand.

lk1234

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:59 am
It makes me wonder what else is out there that I am missing!!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:15 am
lk1234 wrote:
Yes!! And just as an aside I've taken many parenting and self development courses that have been life changing. I feel like this is in that category yet free and so easy and quick to understand.

I found this fascinating too

https://gretchenrubin.com/book.....ntro/

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:20 am
I don't get these things no matter how many times I've tried to read about it or it's explained to me.

lk1234

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:23 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Eh. Overrated.

I hear that for most of my relationships. However I was struggling with one particular relationship with an INTJ - I found working with her in close proximity to be extremely challenging. I am an ISFJ and no matter what I did to work on the relationship - nothing helped.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:46 am
I like using Colorquiz.com.
It is very accurate in telling you your personality. Try it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:53 am
lk1234 wrote:
It makes me wonder what else is out there that I am missing!!!

Attachment theory. Spent hours in useless talk therapy when all I needed was an attachment based approach

lk1234

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 5:23 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Attachment theory. Spent hours in useless talk therapy when all I needed was an attachment based approach

okay - so that I am already familiar with... Anything else Smile

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 7:08 am
Meyers briggs didn't work for me. I've taken the test several times over some years, and I always get the same result, (INFP) but the discription was totally not me .

I just took the enneagram and I feel like it saw straight into my soul! (I got 4)

Anybody else find that enneagram is much better?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 7:33 am
My husband and myself just recently came across Myers Briggs personality types and it has been eye opening.

DH is an INTJ and I'm an ESFJ, you can imagine how many misunderstandings there were over the simplest of things as we didn't have the understanding that we are both so different and it's ok to be like this, neither of us is wrong !

As we learn about each others personality types, we understand how each others brain works.

Our 2 personality types are very very different, it's the only 2 type which are recommended as unfit to be married to each other. So the work is extremely hard, it's very difficult to ever properly understand one another but the reward is amazing.

After all , opposites attract each other and ensures there is always passion in marriage.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Meyers briggs didn't work for me. I've taken the test several times over some years, and I always get the same result, (INFP) but the discription was totally not me .

I just took the enneagram and I feel like it saw straight into my soul! (I got 4)

Anybody else find that enneagram is much better?

Same here. Myers briggs is nice but enneagram saw straight into my soul. I'm a 3 with 4 wing. My family is very anti 3 (as in someone like that is sort of OTD!). This book made me appreciate who I am, value myself and understand Hashem loves me as much as he loves all my other family members.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:12 pm
chocolate amother where can I learn more about attachment theory

I'm infj married to esfp - huge struggle too

looking into enneagram

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:23 pm
I’m infj married to estj and its ttly accurate re our relationship issues

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:33 pm
The book of appreciating people really helped me understand why I felt so different from my family as a teenager. I was an INFP.

When my friend introduced it to me when I was in sem it was amazing.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 12:43 am
Myers-Briggs never worked for me - every quiz I’ve done I got exactly borderline for three of the properties and two or three percentage points away from borderline for the fourth... the results give me a list of four or five combinations that they decided could be most like me, and yes, bits of each description fit me, but I can’t be classified into one type apparently, surprise surprise.

I never understood how people can claim to categorise the entire population of the world with every person’s unique nuances into 7 or 14 or 16 categories. Serious over-generalisation.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:05 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Myers-Briggs never worked for me - every quiz I’ve done I got exactly borderline for three of the properties and two or three percentage points away from borderline for the fourth... the results give me a list of four or five combinations that they decided could be most like me, and yes, bits of each description fit me, but I can’t be classified into one type apparently, surprise surprise.

I never understood how people can claim to categorise the entire population of the world with every person’s unique nuances into 7 or 14 or 16 categories. Serious over-generalisation.

Did you check out the enneagram? See if you're a six. Some six people have similar to your results with Myers Briggs.

I find that each person identifies best with a different system.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:24 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Did you check out the enneagram? See if you're a six. Some six people have similar to your results with Myers Briggs.

I find that each person identifies best with a different system.

Have tried it long ago, don’t remember the results. I just did one today out of curiosity and got almost equal 3,1,5,8 in that order. 4 and 6 exactly equal at the bottom, and 7,9,2 around the same somewhere in the middle.

What can I say? Apparently I’m just a very well-balanced person?🤷‍♀️
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics