Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Shutdown in nyc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:44 am
The latest numbers in nyc are 12,606 new covid19 cases - the highest daily amou t since March. We've broken a record. Does that mean a shutdown will be enforced again?

I'm seeing conflicting information. Generally I get the impression that deblasio wants to shutdown and Cuomo doesn't. Who has the power to enforce their decision in nyc?

Btw, I find it very ironic that back in September/October, the govt was so strict in the red zones in Brooklyn, threatening stores, harassing children going to schools etc. - the numbers then were hovering daily at a 1000.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:43 am
I think that number is more like the number for the entire state in terms of a daily new positive case count.

I think the state will shutdown again or at least several regions.

The comparison with the zones is interesting. I had similar thoughts. I think that was when the strategy was to control pockets of outbreaks. Now that it’s all over, that’s not really a goal.

I do think focusing now on hospital capacity or lack thereof is a better direction although it’s a lagging indicator of local severity.

I think January will bring shutdowns after the gatherings in the next couple weeks.

I’ve already been asked to work from home the entire first week of January if I do desire and can find what to do to defend getting a paycheck as my employer is trying to mitigate risks due to the expected surge.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:47 am
I have tickets to go to NY the end of this week for a week and plan on staying in the city, in a hotel. Do you think it would be a problem?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:14 am
that's what we're all trying to figure out, lime. If you're coming for a vacation, you should be aware that restaurants are closed. You can only order takeout.

amother
White

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:23 am
The numbers are completely fabricated.
And the cases that are true, are easy mild cases.
Hospitals are NOT overwhelmed with Covid and I know this for a fact.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:30 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

Watch I can do the same thing. The “internal numbers” on imaother are completely fabricated and the cases are raging and there is a 300 percent increase in hospitalizations and the community is hiding cases not to sow panic so they can continue to have their stores open and make money. Oh and I know this for a fact.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

Really? I was told by a relative in northern nj hospital they converted dining rooms in the hospital into COVID wards again for non critical patients and every bed is full.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

Hard to take you seriously when anonymous. I'm posting under my screen name,my facts, I know several people sick in the hospital. Both my kids have had multiple cases in their classes in the past 2 weeks. Wonder how an anonymous poster knows the situation in all hospitals🙄

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

And the people I know who died the last few weeks are really hiding under the couch waiting to come out and say boo.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:39 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Really? I was told by a relative in northern nj hospital they converted dining rooms in the hospital into COVID wards again for non critical patients and every bed is full.

This thread is about NY, not NJ so dont conflate the two. In NY, cuomo said that a shutdown "is avoidable":

"A shutdown would kick in if a regional hospital system notifies the state that it is three weeks away from hitting 85% capacity. "That's when we would shut down the economy," Cuomo said.

But no hospital in the state had given such notice as of Friday, he said.

"That's good news, because you have no hospital in the state saying they think they are going to hit 85% of their maximum by January 8," he added.
"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wat......html

As of now, there will be no shutdown in NY because hospitals are not even close to capacity, as per cuomo himself. And we are slowly starting to give people the vaccine so there may never be a shutdown again in NY. Lets see what happens after the holidays.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:45 am
Will the shutdown mean schools also ?

amother
White

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 10:59 am
I’ve been proven right since May. Again in the summer.
Again after Yom Tov.
Again after (secret) packed wedding season.
Again after thanksgiving.

And I’ll be right again. You’ll see.
Talk to you in a month.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:04 am
elisheva25 wrote:
Will the shutdown mean schools also ?

Who knows about private schools. But according to the NY post the testing in ps is yielding a lot of positive results for both teachers and students, and over 1,000 classrooms and 50 schools have had to temporarily close.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:27 am
I have 2 family members who are seriously sick with covid19 at the moment, one of them hospitalization is imminent.

According to our hospital dr ( transplant team in nyc) his nyc hospital is very full with serious really ill covid patients that are affecting organs seriously, but not too many deaths fortunately. He accounts for this that we've learned of many different treatments to dispense.

He says hospital is not yet overwhelmed but is very full and is operating at crisis mode again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics