Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Maternity leave as a therapist/related services
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:25 pm
Hi!

I'm a therapist now in two schools I'm due in a few weeks and apparently I was told that according to NY state due to my license pending I can only take off 30 days.... So I'm planning to only be off for 30 days exactly after baby is born. I feel extremely guilty leaving my kids in the middle of the year.

Also, when would I stop going to work? Do I work right up until my due date? I wish I could stop now but I can't. Im in so much agony throughout the day with intense rib pain/discomfort Sad

And then what if I go into labor during the school day or the night before? Just not show up? I want to do the right thing. I work in a very big girl school and have nothing to do with the menahel/menaheles. Do I just tell the therapist in the cubby next to mine that I have contractions and go home early?

I wanted to know what the right protocol is for taking maternity leave off- when do I call parents to let them know? Or do I send a letter home?

No I do not have a supervisor to ask. I asked her a few months ago and she told me I am on my own to find out.

Tysm!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:29 pm
Fellow therapist here.

Firstly, do not feel guilty. You are allowed to have a baby and take maternity leave.

Here is what I did: I worked right up till my due date, but BH I felt great in the ninth month. I had my baby on a Sunday so I wasn't in labor in school. I emailed the school and the agency the day after I gave birth. I texted all the parents about a day or two later.

And yes if you are in labor DO NOT SHOW UP. Just email the relevant school/agency staff.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:34 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Fellow therapist here.

Firstly, do not feel guilty. You are allowed to have a baby and take maternity leave.

Here is what I did: I worked right up till my due date, but BH I felt great in the ninth month. I had my baby on a Sunday so I wasn't in labor in school. I emailed the school and the agency the day after I gave birth. I texted all the parents about a day or two later.

And yes if you are in labor DO NOT SHOW UP. Just email the relevant school/agency staff.

Thx for replying. Can I ask what type of therapist you are?
I'm a CF so I was told I can only take off 30 days?

None of the parents knew you were expecting? They didnt get upset that you told them after the fact?

I'm nervous Ill go into labor in school (this is my first)

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thx for replying. Can I ask what type of therapist you are?
I'm a CF so I was told I can only take off 30 days?

None of the parents knew you were expecting? They didnt get upset that you told them after the fact?

I'm nervous Ill go into labor in school (this is my first)

I'm a speech therapist with 5 years experience. And yes your maternity leave is very short in your CFY because you are not allowed to have a break in time (then again I had a baby in grad school and only got two weeks off...).

I had my baby in October, I dont think anynof the parents knew (unless the girls told them I was pregnant??). No one was upset. Why should they be? Everyone understands that you are allowed to have a baby. Do you think parents are upset at teachers who have babies in middle of the year?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:49 pm
I'm a speech therapist with 5 years experience. And yes your maternity leave is very short in your CFY because you are not allowed to have a break in time (then again I had a baby in grad school and only got two weeks off...).

I had my baby in October, I dont think anynof the parents knew (unless the girls told them I was pregnant??). No one was upset. Why should they be? Everyone understands that you are allowed to have a baby. Do you think parents are upset at teachers who have babies in middle of the year?

Ah ok good to know then.

My student's dont know Im pregnant. Im carrying very small so I doubt any of their parents were told. Would make my life easier though if a kid told their parents something!
I guess they would be upset with me since the agency I work for doesn't send replacements. So my kids won't be getting speech services for the month I take off and I feel guilty over that. At least with teachers substitutes are sent in.

I was thinking to send home worksheets as well during my time off so that they can do some carry over at home...

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:54 pm
Everyone understands that you are allowed to have a baby. Do you think parents are upset at teachers who have babies in middle of the year?

Unfortunately, yes. People will, for the most part, accept that you gave the right to have babies. That doesn't stop them getting upset about it. Some people seem to think that teachers should only have babies during the summer, so that their child doesn't suffer. Without a replacement, the OP may also catch some of that attitude.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ah ok good to know then.

My student's dont know Im pregnant. Im carrying very small so I doubt any of their parents were told. Would make my life easier though if a kid told their parents something!
I guess they would be upset with me since the agency I work for doesn't send replacements. So my kids won't be getting speech services for the month I take off and I feel guilty over that. At least with teachers substitutes are sent in.

I was thinking to send home worksheets as well during my time off so that they can do some carry over at home...

My agency did send a substitute for me...but honestly its not your problem that your agency does not. I personally don't think you need to send home worksheets (especially if you are only taking off four weeks) but if you want to be nice and you have the time then go for it. I'm sure the parents will appreciate

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:59 pm
As a parent of a child who received speech therapy in school I would not be upset that you're taking off for maternity leave. What does bother me is if the therapist does not let me know a little in advance that they will be taking off sometime in January.

My child's therapist did not let us know and didn't show up for 2 months. My child needed structure and routine and waited at the set time twice a week for those 2 months. I tried reaching out once and could not get through. I contacted the agency who was able to reach the therapist and let me know she's out for maternity leave. My child had a very hard time on school during that time. Not so much cause the lack of the therapy, rather cause the lack of structure. Had the child known in advance he would've been prepared that for the next 2 months you will stay in class and not be leaving for therapy, and not wondering twice a week why is she late, time is passing where is she...

Please notify the parents and child that you will be taking maternity leave and the estimated time so that the child knows not to expect you.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:04 pm
My sons OT broke her leg and went on leave. That was in October and she’s still not back. The agency never replaced her. I understand that things happen but I’m upset it’s dragging this long. I got him a replacement myself but it’s a pain.
Op my point is don’t worry. Everyone understands that life happens. Although I am not sure how you’re planning on going back after 30 days, most people would expect you to be out for about 6-8 weeks. What happens if you have a c section?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Unfortunately, yes. People will, for the most part, accept that you gave the right to have babies. That doesn't stop them getting upset about it. Some people seem to think that teachers should only have babies during the summer, so that their child doesn't suffer. Without a replacement, the OP may also catch some of that attitude.

I'm of the opinion that a therapist does not have to share personal details about her life with the parent. (The same way a teacher won't sent home a note to the parents that she is having a baby soon). But if it will really make a difference to the parents, then definitely send a text that you are expecting a baby soon and will be out for one month on maternity leave. Tell the parents that they can call the agency to request a substitute (maybe if enough parents call your agency will rethink its policy about not sending subs)

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:27 pm
I'm an OT. I always tell the parents that I'm due in a certain month, and then I let them know once I've had a baby. In general I have a lot of contact with the parents so I can't imagine not sharing this with them. Many of them see me at some point during my pregnancy anyway so they're not surprised.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:06 pm
As a fellow CF that gave birth during my CFY year. It is HARD!
After the fact my supervisor told me I wish I can tell all CFs to go on BC! Surprised

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:26 pm
I had a baby during my CF year.
I would first of all let the agency know you’re expecting and will be taking off when your baby arrives. If you’re planning on taking off before baby comes that’s completely fine. I would let the agency know as soon as possible.
Your CF supervisor might be useless here, mine was. But you do need to tell the agency.
Ideally, you should tell someone in the school but if you don’t have a go to person in the school then don’t worry about it.
I personally would not tell the parents. You’re not a classroom teacher.
Someone wrote above you have to come back quickly because it’s your CF. I took off a good 4.5 months and it was fine. My CF took awhile. Call up ASHA. People sometimes have things happen and there is a break in the middle of the CF year.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:37 pm
Wanted to add:
If you have a close relationship with a parent by all means you can tell them. It’s just so many parents have nothing to do with the therapist or the therapy overall and seems strange to share something so personal.

Another thing, as long as you tell the agency you’re going to be giving birth and need to be out, then you’re good. It’s not your concern whether or not the agency sends someone else. Many agencies can’t find a replacement or don’t bother. That’s not your fault and parents can direct their misplaced anger at the agency.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
As a parent of a child who received speech therapy in school I would not be upset that you're taking off for maternity leave. What does bother me is if the therapist does not let me know a little in advance that they will be taking off sometime in January.

My child's therapist did not let us know and didn't show up for 2 months. My child needed structure and routine and waited at the set time twice a week for those 2 months. I tried reaching out once and could not get through. I contacted the agency who was able to reach the therapist and let me know she's out for maternity leave. My child had a very hard time on school during that time. Not so much cause the lack of the therapy, rather cause the lack of structure. Had the child known in advance he would've been prepared that for the next 2 months you will stay in class and not be leaving for therapy, and not wondering twice a week why is she late, time is passing where is she...

Please notify the parents and child that you will be taking maternity leave and the estimated time so that the child knows not to expect you.

Thank you for chiming in as a parent. How many weeks notice would you like to receive? Would you think a text or a letter home would suffice or you would want a phone call? Im just nervous I wont have the answers for qs they might ask me over the phone "whos going to service my kid? what if he regresses? etc"

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I'm an OT. I always tell the parents that I'm due in a certain month, and then I let them know once I've had a baby. In general I have a lot of contact with the parents so I can't imagine not sharing this with them. Many of them see me at some point during my pregnancy anyway so they're not surprised.

None of the parents have met me and I speak to them once a month with either a quick text update or phone call. I send home weekly progress notes in their student's binders. Alot of my parents are uninvolved though which makes it difficult

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I would first of all let the agency know you’re expecting and will be taking off when your baby arrives. If you’re planning on taking off before baby comes that’s completely fine. I would let the agency know as soon as possible.
Your CF supervisor might be useless here, mine was. But you do need to tell the agency.
Ideally, you should tell someone in the school but if you don’t have a go to person in the school then don’t worry about it.
Someone wrote above you have to come back quickly because it’s your CF. I took off a good 4.5 months and it was fine. My CF took awhile. Call up ASHA. People sometimes have things happen and there is a break in the middle of the CF year.

I told my agency a few months ago, so I gave them 3 months notice. I will call them again this week.
yep my supervisor is useless lol. For everything in general which is also great...

There is no one in the school for me to tell. Its the type I go in, walk to my kiddos room, pull them out, bring them back etc. Theres a secretary in the school but shes straight out of HS and what would I tell her? "Ok rochel Im leaving now Im having contractions...?" I guess Ill just tell the therapist in the cubby next to mine.

ASHA doesnt care how long I take off but NY state does. Im not allowed more than 30 days. Even tho apparently due to covid they suspended this rule, my agency still told me I can only take off 30 days...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:42 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
As a fellow CF that gave birth during my CFY year. It is HARD!
After the fact my supervisor told me I wish I can tell all CFs to go on BC! Surprised

Are you still a CF?? Any way I can message you?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:50 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

This is incorrect information. There are two separate things here:

1) Getting your CCC from ASHA after your CFY- they are ok if you have a long break in middle

2) getting your state license from NYSED after your "supervised experience" (they do not call it the cfy). You CANNOT have a long break in middle. It is very confusing and people have gotten messed over

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you still a CF?? Any way I can message you?

Still a CF...although I'm in NJ so might be a bit different.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics