Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Surprise Dreidel Loaf

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 10:28 am
Here is another fun idea which I haven't tried. It looks simple enough even for me as I am not very dexterous in terms of decorating.

I am thinking I might make it to send out to people as a little gift since I am socially distancing and no social visits here in Los Angeles.

I won't post the instructions unless someone is interested. Essentially you make a blue sheet cake and then cut out dreidel shapes which you bake into the loaf cake. Not very complicated and it would probably be a fun project for children as well on a Sunday.

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:12 pm
Someone has requested the recipe so I am posting it - the illustrations show how simple it is to make.

]

[img]https://I.imgur.com/ZJdTn6G.jpg[/img

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:20 pm
This is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:30 pm
Oops - last page is missing - here it is -

yiddishmom

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:39 pm
I like the idea! The idea can be used for many different occasions/ concepts.

I'm bookmarking this. Thank you!

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 10:40 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
I like the idea! The idea can be used for many different occasions/ concepts.

I'm bookmarking this. Thank you!

Makes fun gifts and a project for kids as well.

And you are right about themes and colors etc.

I have seen some of these surprise type of cakes but generally when I read the instructions, I realize that I couldn't pull them off because I am not great with fancy stuff looking good. But this I could pull off Very Happy

Snickers18

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 11:55 am
Well, doesn’t that look perfect, lol. Thanks for the share! I tried my hand at it, and mine resemble those Pinterest fails I’m sure we’ve all seen. Can’t remember the last time I botched up baking. The dreidels all floated up in the batter and turned, so we’ve got surprise [I]sideways[/I] dreidel cake for shabbos. 😁 It was fun to make.

sky

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 1:17 pm
That is adorable.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 3:37 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
Well, doesn’t that look perfect, lol. Thanks for the share! I tried my hand at it, and mine resemble those Pinterest fails I’m sure we’ve all seen. Can’t remember the last time I botched up baking. The dreidels all floated up in the batter and turned, so we’ve got surprise [I]sideways[/I] dreidel cake for shabbos. 😁 It was fun to make.

At least you had fun and I assume the kids too. And hopefully it tasted good.

I used to love decorating cookies with the kids and their end product aesthetically often left a lot to be desired. I had a three dimensional lamb mold and we would head to one of the candy by the pound places and they would buy an obscene amount of candy to use as decoration and then would produce the most outrageously decorated cake and demolish the various body parts.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 11 2020, 3:40 pm
So cool!
You really have the best cooking/baking ideas and recipes.
Thank you for always sharing them with us.

Snickers18

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
At least you had fun and I assume the kids too. And hopefully it tasted good.

I used to love decorating cookies with the kids and their end product aesthetically often left a lot to be desired. I had a three dimensional lamb mold and we would head to one of the candy by the pound places and they would buy an obscene amount of candy to use as decoration and then would produce the most outrageously decorated cake and demolish the various body parts.

Yes, it was great fun! I hope you took my comment in the humorous manner it was meant. It was fun seeing if people would recognize the shape inside.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:34 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
Yes, it was great fun! I hope you took my comment in the humorous manner it was meant. It was fun seeing if people would recognize the shape inside.

Oh no - I took it exactly as you meant it to be. If you baked it with your kids, I am sure they had a great time. If you just served it to people, they would have had fun laughing at how the dreidel floated around.

As my original post indicated I lack the gene to make stuff look pretty and most of the time I wouldn't attempt anything that relied on good looks LOL

I wonder if there would be a way to avoid the floating dreidels - maybe make them heavier or have the bottom layer thicker so they are anchored. I ask just in the event that you have some tips.

Snickers18

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:11 am
Amarante wrote:
Oh no - I took it exactly as you meant it to be. If you baked it with your kids, I am sure they had a great time. If you just served it to people, they would have had fun laughing at how the dreidel floated around.

As my original post indicated I lack the gene to make stuff look pretty and most of the time I wouldn't attempt anything that relied on good looks LOL

I wonder if there would be a way to avoid the floating dreidels - maybe make them heavier or have the bottom layer thicker so they are anchored. I ask just in the event that you have some tips.

I made 4 cakes. I have a severe inability to bake reasonable amounts of anything. So there was a lot to share around. I just told people it was Chanukah Cake. Good thing they don't know what it was supposed to look like. Wink I like the idea and could play around with it in the future. The taste itself was pretty basic, so it didn't have that going for it and the main attraction was the dreidel. I think part of the problem was that my dreidels were too thick and too tall, so not only were they sideways (there's gotta be a way to anchor them somehow), but they busted out of the top of the cake pretty strangely. Nothing that gobs of glaze and sprinkles couldn't fix! LOL I wish I knew how to share a picture!

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 2:27 am
Snickers18 wrote:
I made 4 cakes. I have a severe inability to bake reasonable amounts of anything. So there was a lot to share around. I just told people it was Chanukah Cake. Good thing they don't know what it was supposed to look like. Wink I like the idea and could play around with it in the future. The taste itself was pretty basic, so it didn't have that going for it and the main attraction was the dreidel. I think part of the problem was that my dreidels were too thick and too tall, so not only were they sideways (there's gotta be a way to anchor them somehow), but they busted out of the top of the cake pretty strangely. Nothing that gobs of glaze and sprinkles couldn't fix! LOL I wish I knew how to share a picture!

I think the issue might have been the size of the cookie cutters. If you look at page 60, tje instructions advise you to make sure the dreidel cut outs fit into the pan with some room at top and bottom. Since you mention your dreidels were too tall, that might have been why they weren’t anchored securely.

You could probably sub any pound cake recipe in terms of flavors.

But it all got eaten amd people had fun and it was blue and white with decorations in top so what could be bad. Very Happy

Actually it’s easy to post a picture. If you see at the bottom of post reply, there is a link to upload images. After uploading, you have an url which can you where it says post images.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics