Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My 4 year old and his pacifier

Makehumusnotwar

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:23 am
Banging head Banging head Banging head

My 4-year-old is still deeply attached to his paci. I am really struggling to get rid of it. On one hand he does seem to need it as a comfort, but OTOH this cannot be good for his teeth and orofacial musculature.

Lately he has begun biting and chewing on the pacifier and literally rips them up and destroys them. He doesn't suck on them, so much as chew on them.

Any suggestions from you wise mommies out there? Please help.

simpleme

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:41 am
If he destroys them, does that mean you are replacing them?

Makehumusnotwar

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:43 am
simpleme wrote:
If he destroys them, does that mean you are replacing them?

Not anymore. We managed to stockpile quite a few over the years and he is going through them one by one. I've told him that once he destroys all of them, I am not going to be replacing. I'm just not sure if this is the right way to go about it? Would it be better to go cold turkey?

[size=8][size=8] Ok I am very scared of his reaction when he realises there are no more paci's left Crying Crying

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:00 am
How about have him trade it in for an exciting toy? So giving up the paci will be his "choice," even if it's tough after they're gone.

I'm in a similar boat. My 4-year-old only uses a paci in bed, but he'll go rest with it during the day. He rests with it after school or when he's sick (which is too often lately.) He uses it to regulate, he has a hard time sensory/emotionally. I am pushing him in other areas, so Im not sure if I should rush him into giving it up just yet.

But I bought a great Playmobil set, it's sitting on a shelf for now, waiting for when the time is right for him to make the trade.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 6:48 pm
Ditto for my 5 year old.
I would be fine if it was just for bed and comfort but I can’t seem to restrict it that way and he uses it whenever he is home.
I don’t want to forcefully take it away. I want him to be “ready”

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:21 pm
My 4 year old agreed to give up his pacifier and happily went into bed without it - but couldn't fall asleep! After a couple of hours I gave the pacifier back because I needed the child to sleep. Any advice for a child who can't fall asleep without the pacifier?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:28 pm
I suspect there is an oral sensory component. I might try to connect with an OT

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:36 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I suspect there is an oral sensory component. I might try to connect with an OT

This would be my guess too. Look into chewing sensory toys maybe instead- made for biting so safer.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:38 pm
My paci rule is that it doesn't come out of the bed and the kid sleeps in a crib till they give up their paci. The one kid that didn't give it up on her own, I took it away by 4.5 cold turkey.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:59 pm
My five year old still sleeps w her paci... she was sucking two fingers since she was born and just recently made the switch so I’m thrilled! No more holes or sores in the fingers...
But would also love advice how to get her to be over it

jj1236

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 8:01 pm
For my first, I took away the paci at 2. That's when she started climbing out of her crib at night. She would cry but after a few days maybe a week, it was done. It's worth it to stick it out. My second sucks her fingers so it'll be harder to stop that since fingers are attached to her lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers