Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Heaven supper idea- and crazy cheap!!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:41 pm
Some days I end work late...and I love to walk into a house that smells heavenly, so all I need to do is set the table before the school bus.

I diced 7 potatoes.
Added 2 packages turkey wings. (evergreen in monsey has them for really cheap)
smothered in ketchup and duck sauce. (idea from dinner done)
Left to bake for 3 hrs. on 350 (in the future I would do 325)
The whole dinner was under $10. took under 10 minutes to prepare.

When I walked in from work, exhausted, this amazing smell hit me.....

When my kids walked in, they were like Yuuuuum! it smells so good (no, not all of them, but enough Smile

but it gets better......

Then, after dinner, I took the leftover turkey (deboned), gravy and potatoes....
I fried an onion, added some raw potatoes, carrots, half a cup pearled barley, salt and onion soup mix all the leftover turkey/gravy/potatoes from dinner......and made a heavenly smelling barley soup for a different night....my kids begged to taste it (even though it wasn't for supper that night!! I was happy to let them)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:43 pm
forgot to mention-
please add your own supper hacks and ideas!!
especially of things that can be left in the oven when Mommy is at work or out...

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:52 pm
Thanks!
This sounds delish!

I'm a sahm, so most of my dinners need more coddling. Will post soon if I think of something.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:17 pm
Ok thanks.
I'm also looking for dinners that are inexpensive....
noticed I am spending like $2000 on food for my family for the month!! trying to cut down but still feeding my kids wholesome meals.....

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:40 pm
So I make this at least 2x a week.
Going anon cuz I share this w a lot of ppl irl.
Mix a huge batch of canola oil, salt paprika onion & garlic powder dash of white pepper.
And I keep it in the pantry.
Whenever I use it I mix it up a bit w a spoon, pour off a bit into a dinner plate if I do just a bit or in a bigger bowl id do more. Cut up cutlets amd put it all in the oil mix and mix it up so its all coated well. Coat w corn flake crumbs, (ypu cam dip both sides or my sister w a large family takes a big bowl and pours a bunch of crumbs in same as the pil and mix. It all ends up coated.) or your own homemade crumbs. Personally we like rice crispies proccesed really well. Keeps the cutlers super moist and very tasty.
Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet or parchment lined betty crocker. (Super fast)

Simply rinse chicken legs put into betty Crocker on parhment paper (its better w the paper than without and easier clean up) face down turn on for 20 min. Turn off let it sit for a bit. Then 15 minutes before serving throw in some fries or cut up potaotes on top of the gravy turn it back on for 10 min. Let it cool a bit. It comes out extremely soft on the inside. And crispie on the bottom. The gravy makes the potatoes heavenish.
The on/off timing happened once bt mistake and the chicken was avsolutely delicious. Then it took a few tries and playing around with the timing to figure out what made it so good.

You can always do Chicken bottoms on top of random veggies in a closed bake pan w some spices / sauces. Cook 350 for 2 hours. Or 400 for 1.5 hours.

meiravit

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:58 pm
Keep these ideas coming!

Signed - a lazy cook!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:25 pm
Two packages of turkey wings in my neck of the woods is like $20.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:31 pm
it was four turkey wings total, was a bit under $4....
I know chicken wings doesn't work for me to serve as dinner usually cuz not enough meat on the bones....

Ok, here's another one from tonight (u prob all know this one already but whatever)

rotini smart taste pasta (more fiber) (boiled the night before if ur rushed like me!!)
When I got home I added to the pot- that was waiting in the fridge:
half a jar vodka marinara sauce
half a liter heavy cream
sea salt

let it get creamy and consolidate for like half an hour over a low flame.....done!!

under $10. under 10 minutes. maybe that should be this thread title!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:33 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Two packages of turkey wings in my neck of the woods is like $20.

are the packages really big? where do you live?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:42 pm
Most of my dinners are cheap. They need to serve about 10.

Spaghetti & Tuna Sauce (from the Spice & Spirit cookbook) - 2 boxes spaghetti ($2), 3 cans tuna ($5). Saute some garlic in margarine, add water, salt/pepper/thyme and tuna, serve hot over spaghetti. Under $6.

Pasta & Meat Sauce - 2 boxes elbow macaroni ($2), 1 lb ground beef ($6), large can hunts tomato sauce ($3), brown beef, add sauce and oregano, heat through, serve over pasta. Under $12.

Meat & Rice - 2lb jasmine rice ($3), 1 lb ground beef ($6). Put rice in pan, add 5 tsp salt, 1/4 cup oil, pepper/garlic powder, 9-10 cups boiling water. Bake 30 min tightly covered. Brown ground beef. Mix and serve. Under $10.

Stovetop Chicken - family pack chicken legs ($12), onions, carrots, potatoes ($3). Put in 5 qt fry pan, a few inches of water, salt/pepper/paprika. Cover and cook about half hour. Under $16.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Most of my dinners are cheap. They need to serve about 10.

Spaghetti & Tuna Sauce (from the Spice & Spirit cookbook) - 2 boxes spaghetti ($2), 3 cans tuna ($5). Saute some garlic in margarine, add water, salt/pepper/thyme and tuna, serve hot over spaghetti. Under $6.

Pasta & Meat Sauce - 2 boxes elbow macaroni ($2), 1 lb ground beef ($6), large can hunts tomato sauce ($3), brown beef, add sauce and oregano, heat through, serve over pasta. Under $12.

Meat & Rice - 2lb jasmine rice ($3), 1 lb ground beef ($6). Put rice in pan, add 5 tsp salt, 1/4 cup oil, pepper/garlic powder, 9-10 cups boiling water. Bake 30 min tightly covered. Brown ground beef. Mix and serve. Under $10.

Stovetop Chicken - family pack chicken legs ($12), onions, carrots, potatoes ($3). Put in 5 qt fry pan, a few inches of water, salt/pepper/paprika. Cover and cook about half hour. Under $16.

1 lb of meat feeds ten people? Are they small eaters?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:29 am
Sounds delish but Yikes- those may be cheap but NOT healthy at all... wings are the fattiest part of the animal, plus soaking in the drippings. Pasta with heavy cream... you can definitely feed a family healthily with easy cheap soup/stew recipes in a crock pot with plenty veggies and protein on a low budget without clogging everyone’s arteries.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 1:40 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Sounds delish but Yikes- those may be cheap but NOT healthy at all... wings are the fattiest part of the animal, plus soaking in the drippings. Pasta with heavy cream... you can definitely feed a family healthily with easy cheap soup/stew recipes in a crock pot with plenty veggies and protein on a low budget without clogging everyone’s arteries.

I agree with the cream not being so healthy, but once in a while.... And sounds to me like OP is trying to come up with cheap and quick, which can be hard to do super healthy too, and was happy to share the ideas she found and posted hoping to get some more. So I wouldn't appreciate the tone here- you can suggest the healthy options without sounding critical, but maybe you didn't mean it that way as I heard it.

I do noodles/cottage cheese/ sauce/ shredded cheese baked together.
Ground meat and rice and taco shells- it's quick.
Agree with above about chicken/potatoes in crock pot, soups in crock pot are good idea.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:03 am
Homemade pizza. I make my own dough which really doesn't take long, but I guess if you're short on time you can buy.

I use tomato sauce and oregano mixed with a little oil, then shredded cheese and cook in the Betty Crocker pizza maker.

Add a can or two of corn, and you have a really nice supper for under $10.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I agree with the cream not being so healthy, but once in a while.... And sounds to me like OP is trying to come up with cheap and quick, which can be hard to do super healthy too, and was happy to share the ideas she found and posted hoping to get some more. So I wouldn't appreciate the tone here- you can suggest the healthy options without sounding critical, but maybe you didn't mean it that way as I heard it.

I do noodles/cottage cheese/ sauce/ shredded cheese baked together.
Ground meat and rice and taco shells- it's quick.
Agree with above about chicken/potatoes in crock pot, soups in crock pot are good idea.

I started making ground meat in taco shells plus adding salsa on top for a quick supper, but I'm not sure it's the cheapest idea (it's really easy though). Maybe meatballs and spaghetti is a little cheaper?

Another idea - chicken in the oven, rice in the oven, and sweet potatoes. Full round supper, really easy and not too expensive.

Roots

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:19 pm
so this week I actually did something that applies to this post lol
I made couscous with its soup- its like a thing here in israel- like a full meal and why not? lol
monday nigth I cooked the soup- parve yummy easy
saute 1-2 onions,
1 garlic
1 tomatoe grated(w/o the peel)
chickpeas- I put from a can
veggies-carrot, potatoe zuchini and squash or sweet potatoe , celery all in big chunks (wtvr u have)
added water till the top
cooked for an hr added salt pepper paprika turmeric and a bit of cumin

then put in the fridge overnight
tuesday I came home from work and prepared the coucous- exactly 10 minutes of work
I bag of coucous
1 tbsp chicken soup powder
1 tsp salt 3 tbsp oil
mix well
2 cups boiling water spill on top
cover let sit 5 min
fluff with fork
let sit ucovered 5 min and its ready
serve coucous in a bowl and add the soup with veggies on top as a sauce

10 min after I came home from work food was ready and I couldnt b happier

I actually got the recipe from a great website called 10dakot - its in hebrew (means 10 minutes) has hundreds of recipes that take 10 minutes and many are really great
https://www.10dakot.co.il/reci.....7%A1/

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:26 pm
Honeydew, what the hey is a betty crocker? I assume it's a localism in your part of the world for some sort of cooking appliance but you should know it's not a national or international term. Betty Crocker is a food manufacturer that branched out into selling cooking utensils and kitchen gadgets.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Honeydew, what the hey is a betty crocker? I assume it's a localism in your part of the world for some sort of cooking appliance but you should know it's not a national or international term. Betty Crocker is a food manufacturer that branched out into selling cooking utensils and kitchen gadgets.

Ha! I’m in NYC and have no idea what it is either

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:38 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

ANIMAL FAT is healthy and does not clog arteries
PASTA - is not and does clog arteries
Protein- needed in moderation, ppl always overdo protein
Veggies- believe it or not it depends who you ask, certain veggies are ok, but just ok, good as a filler. Again it depends on who you ask

Cheap and healthy protein are eggs and sardines in olive oil (check ingredients)
But to a family that fills up with pasta, dry beans, rice, this may go over budget

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:43 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:

Betty Crocker Pizza Maker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K.....X0DER

(might not be the best deal out there, just giving it so you can see what it is)

Last edited by cbsp on Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen