Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:56 am
Crust, I've been thinking a bit about this thread the past few days, and I'm wondering - why aren't there sidewalks in the area you are talking about? In many areas of Lakewood, the developer is responsible for building sidewalks in the areas they are building new developments in.

The developers who built these Chassidish developments have presumably made a lot of money. Is there any way to get community pressure so that they should put in their fair share and help the people they sold to? This is what happened in other areas in Lakewood.

As for traffic lights - I'm not sure this would really solve the problem as the area is not really in the "town" part of Lakewood and doesn't seem to need too many more traffic lights - at least for the cars. I think.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 8:23 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Crust, I've been thinking a bit about this thread the past few days, and I'm wondering - why aren't there sidewalks in the area you are talking about? In many areas of Lakewood, the developer is responsible for building sidewalks in the areas they are building new developments in.

The developers who built these Chassidish developments have presumably made a lot of money. Is there any way to get community pressure so that they should put in their fair share and help the people they sold to? This is what happened in other areas in Lakewood.

As for traffic lights - I'm not sure this would really solve the problem as the area is not really in the "town" part of Lakewood and doesn't seem to need too many more traffic lights - at least for the cars. I think.

What has happened in other parts of Lakewood is that people have pressured the TOWN to put in sidewalks not the developers.

If the town has keep there word that in 2000 they are splitting Lakewood into 11 parts and putting sidewalks in each part one a year there would be sidewalks there. We would not have this pach work of sidewalks all over town.

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 8:46 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

Where the developments are there are sidewalks. Unless you move on to an old block with older houses, you have sidealks.

This is not the developers job to put sidewalk on the 70 or the 9.

Also it's not only lakewood, some parts are tomsriver.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:12 am
My block has sidewalks. Last few weeks I have seen people walk in the middle of the road without reflectors. At a passing glance they dont seem jewish but if they where I would roll down the windows and tell them something.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:23 am
small bean wrote:
Where the developments are there are sidewalks. Unless you move on to an old block with older houses, you have sidealks.

This is not the developers job to put sidewalk on the 70 or the 9.

Also it's not only lakewood, some parts are tomsriver.

I don't really know specifically how things work here and who pays for what, but rumor on the street is that the developers pay for the sidewalks around their development, so maybe it IS the developers job to put up sidewalks on Route 9.

In any case, I was driving all around town yesterday and even though this is not something I would usually notice, I was looking out for it and I realized that there are TONS of sidewalks that have been built in the past few years.

I think it's easier to get sidewalks built than to put up lights, and more popular with the drivers as well. IMHO.

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:36 am
With new construction in lakewood you are required to put in sidewalk. It's the law..that's why if you go down 14th st, you'll have patches of sidewalk wherever there is new construction.

For other streets, if you want sidewalk, like spots on the 9, than you need to petition the township and the township pays to put it in.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:43 am
I've been driving down the 9, 70, New Hampshire and Cross and paying attention.
There are sidewalks along many developments.
There are not sidewalks along some shopping strips, many office strips, and along all the forest patches of undeveloped land.
There are no sidewalks along Cross, and virtually no shoulder either.

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:51 am
keym wrote:
I've been driving down the 9, 70, New Hampshire and Cross and paying attention.
There are sidewalks along many developments.
There are not sidewalks along some shopping strips, many office strips, and along all the forest patches of undeveloped land.
There are no sidewalks along Cross, and virtually no shoulder either.

That's right and no one will put sidewalk on cross, right now the street is not intended for walking. If the schools there, thinks it's not safe, they will need to petition for it.

I think there might be sidewalk in front of TCS. I will have to check next time I drive by.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:53 am
small bean wrote:
That's right and no one will put sidewalk on cross, right now the street is not intended for walking. If the schools there, thinks it's not safe, they will need to petition for it.

I think there might be sidewalk in front of TCS. I will have to check next time I drive by.

And the tcs girls aren’t the ones walking on cross..

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:55 am
I sometimes see boys hitching there but never anyone walking down the street. Maybe I'm out at the wrong times.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:04 am
small bean wrote:
I sometimes see boys hitching there but never anyone walking down the street. Maybe I'm out at the wrong times.

It's the boys.
You won't find other people because there's nothing there. No developments, no stores, no shopping. Just schools, and industrial.
7-8:30 am, 2-4pm, and all night though it's teeming with boys.
But not enough people push for sidewalks there because everyone is busy talking rt9.

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:14 am
keym wrote:
It's the boys.
You won't find other people because there's nothing there. No developments, no stores, no shopping. Just schools, and industrial.
7-8:30 am, 2-4pm, and all night though it's teeming with boys.
But not enough people push for sidewalks there because everyone is busy talking rt9.

So the parents in these schools need to petition for it. Most of the boys buildings are not new construction.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:16 am
small bean wrote:
So the parents in these schools need to petition for it. Most of the boys buildings are not new construction.

That opens up a whole nother box of worms.
Hitching Mesivta boys and how much their parents know, approve, and care.
Maybe I'll start a spin-off when I get a chance.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:30 am
keym wrote:
That opens up a whole nother box of worms.
Hitching Mesivta boys and how much their parents know, approve, and care.
Maybe I'll start a spin-off when I get a chance.
I’ve let 9th grade boys hitch with me in James/cross area. I couldn’t leave them on the side of the road for someone else to pick up. I don’t do the hitching thing but I was really scared.

It’s a neis there are no bad stories.

summer0808

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:37 am
the sidewalk issue is that a developer has to put in sidewalk only on the strip of the property on the main road. but say there is no sidewalk between there and the next development or shopping center. so it's on/off. Lately I see a lot of walkers on Route 9 in Howell too. going back & forth from sparkles to amazing savings. Route 9 is 4 lanes wide plus shoulders. I can barely make a left and they're crossing with kids & carriages!

keym

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:39 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....73078

Ok. Started a new thread about hitching

cbsp

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 12:55 pm
Since this thread is still alive...

I've been tempted to post this since an imamother asked why can't you just cross in the middle of the block of the stores are just across from each other.

I read this short story in 7th grade called "Of Missing Persons" by Jack Finney.

It's about a man who wants to escape life here and finds out about a planet called Verna. He's in a travel agency asking how they travel there.

Here's the description (from here:
http://www.101bananas.com/libr......html ):

“And where is Verna?”
“Light years away, by your measurements.”
I was suddenly irritated, I didn’t know why. “A little hard to get to, then, wouldn’t it be?”
For a moment he looked at me; then he turned to the window beside him. “Come here,” he said, and I walked around the counter to stand beside him. “There, off to the left’—he put a hand on my shoulder and pointed with his pipe stem—“are two apartment buildings, built back to back. The entrance to one is on Fifth Avenue, the entrance to the other on Sixth. See them? In the middle of the block; you can just see their roofs.”
I nodded, and he said, “A man and his wife live on the fourteenth floor of one of those buildings. A wall of their living room is the back wall of the building. They have friends on the fourteenth floor of the other building, and a wall of their living room is the back wall of their building. These two couples live, in other words, within two feet of one another, since the back building walls actually touch.”
The big man smiled. “But when the Robinsons want to visit the Bradens, they walk from their living room to the front door. Then they walk down a long hall to the elevators. They ride fourteen floors down; then, in the street, they must walk around to the next block. And the city blocks there are long; in bad weather they have sometimes actually taken a cab. They walk into the other building, they go on through the lobby, ride up fourteen floors, walk down a hall, ring a bell, and are finally admitted into their friends” living room—only two feet from their own.”
The big man turned back to the counter, and I walked around it to the other side again. “All I can tell you,” he said then, “is that the way the Robinsons travel is like space travel, the actual physical crossing of those enormous distances.” He shrugged. “But if they could step through those two feet of wall without harming themselves or the wall—well, that is how we ‘travel.’ We don’t cross space, we avoid it.” He smiled. “Draw a breath here—and exhale it on Verna.”

Despite the actual proximity there's a good reason why one sometimes needs to take the long route. What's the expression? Do you want the long way that's really short? Or the short way that's really long?

Last edited by cbsp on Wed, Dec 23 2020, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 2:26 pm
small bean wrote:

The County is going to put sidewalks and widen the street I think in 2022 maybe earlier or later I am not sure of the year(or if like everything Covid pushed it off).

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 5:16 pm
I just drove down Cross. Both TCS and shagas aryeh have sidewalk infront.

Shiras chaim does not, maybe because it's at a corner so they didn't have to..Not sure.

summer0808

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 10:00 pm
Shiras Chaim is in an older building.

it doesnt matter that there is sidewalk in front if the sidewalk doesnt continue down the road!
Page 15 of 16   Previous  1  2  3 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries