Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chassidish Imas in Lakewood- let's discuss this
  Previous  1  2  3  14  15  16

Fave

Post Wed, Dec 23 2020, 11:48 pm
cbsp wrote:
Since this thread is still alive...

I've been tempted to post this since an imamother asked why can't you just cross in the middle of the block of the stores are just across from each other.

I read this short story in 7th grade called "Of Missing Persons" by Jack Finney.

It's about a man who wants to escape life here and finds out about a planet called Verna. He's in a travel agency asking how they travel there.

Here's the description (from here:
http://www.101bananas.com/libr......html ):

“And where is Verna?”
“Light years away, by your measurements.”
I was suddenly irritated, I didn’t know why. “A little hard to get to, then, wouldn’t it be?”
For a moment he looked at me; then he turned to the window beside him. “Come here,” he said, and I walked around the counter to stand beside him. “There, off to the left’—he put a hand on my shoulder and pointed with his pipe stem—“are two apartment buildings, built back to back. The entrance to one is on Fifth Avenue, the entrance to the other on Sixth. See them? In the middle of the block; you can just see their roofs.”
I nodded, and he said, “A man and his wife live on the fourteenth floor of one of those buildings. A wall of their living room is the back wall of the building. They have friends on the fourteenth floor of the other building, and a wall of their living room is the back wall of their building. These two couples live, in other words, within two feet of one another, since the back building walls actually touch.”
The big man smiled. “But when the Robinsons want to visit the Bradens, they walk from their living room to the front door. Then they walk down a long hall to the elevators. They ride fourteen floors down; then, in the street, they must walk around to the next block. And the city blocks there are long; in bad weather they have sometimes actually taken a cab. They walk into the other building, they go on through the lobby, ride up fourteen floors, walk down a hall, ring a bell, and are finally admitted into their friends” living room—only two feet from their own.”
The big man turned back to the counter, and I walked around it to the other side again. “All I can tell you,” he said then, “is that the way the Robinsons travel is like space travel, the actual physical crossing of those enormous distances.” He shrugged. “But if they could step through those two feet of wall without harming themselves or the wall—well, that is how we ‘travel.’ We don’t cross space, we avoid it.” He smiled. “Draw a breath here—and exhale it on Verna.”

Despite the actual proximity there's a good reason why one sometimes needs to take the long route. What's the expression? Do you want the long way that's really short? Or the short way that's really long?

I remember reading this work in school!

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:13 am
summer0808 wrote:
Shiras Chaim is in an older building.

it doesnt matter that there is sidewalk in front if the sidewalk doesnt continue down the road!

Shiras chaim is not that much older than tcs building.

The point is as new construction comes to the block, there will be sidewalk.

summer0808

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:13 am
but the builder is only required to put sidewalk on the frontage of their own property not to connect to the property down the road. for example oak & vine has sidewalk all along rt 9. but if someone wants to walk to ritas or bais shaindel, there are a few stretches with no sidewalk and the shoulder is used by cars going around the left turning cars.
and we're not even talking about crossing over to z berman! the traffic lights are almost a mile apart so people will not walk 20 minutes to use the light. they just walk into traffic and wait for them to stop. (that is what they do as told to my daughters by their friends that live there!)

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:19 am
True. When I walked home from hs in that part of town, I waited in the middle for traffic to stop. Super dangerous, but there's no other way to do it at 5 pm. (or 9 am)

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:51 am
summer0808 wrote:
but the builder is only required to put sidewalk on the frontage of their own property not to connect to the property down the road. for example oak & vine has sidewalk all along rt 9. but if someone wants to walk to ritas or bais shaindel, there are a few stretches with no sidewalk and the shoulder is used by cars going around the left turning cars.
and we're not even talking about crossing over to z berman! the traffic lights are almost a mile apart so people will not walk 20 minutes to use the light. they just walk into traffic and wait for them to stop. (that is what they do as told to my daughters by their friends that live there!)

That's not the builders or neighbord problem. They can cross by prospect and walk up. Or by oak st there is a crossing gaurd.
Page 16 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  14  15  16 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries