Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me with high school nyc process to apply...farher..etc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:40 am
I live in nyc and am applying to high school for my son.

I filled out the application and sent in the reports for the 8th grade principal to fill out.
And paid the fee.

Now, they called me for an interview/farher but didnt tell me what my son should study.(I asked they said they will ask about everything he learned this year which is so general).

And, besides for the farher, do they also give a separate high school entrance exam in english?

I'm confused.

Can anyone who went through this explain the process to me?

Thank you.

Mollie

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:55 am
Can you tell us which school? Yeshivas like Chaim Berlin, Torah Vadaas etc. just want to see the type of boy he is, might ask him to read a section of Gemara he recently learned. No big exam, they just want to get a feel of what kind of boy he is

Tzippy323

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 12:45 pm
In some yeshivas, there is an English placement test...mir, Torah vodaath, tiferes yisroel, and possibly others. In some schools, the farher is based on a mesechta that has been learned that year, while in some, a group of boys is taught a new piece of gemara and are then farhered on it. I went through this five times. Just keep davening and relax.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 29 2020, 10:53 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
In some yeshivas, there is an English placement test...mir, Torah vodaath, tiferes yisroel, and possibly others. In some schools, the farher is based on a mesechta that has been learned that year, while in some, a group of boys is taught a new piece of gemara and are then farhered on it. I went through this five times. Just keep davening and relax.

thank you to everyone who replied.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 1:25 am
Call your sons 7th or 8th grade Rebbe. They can walk you through the faher. The interviewer will ask the boy what he prepared and test him on that matter. They may also ask him what he is currently learning in yeshiva.

My boys yeshiva assisted in preparing the boys. They offered tutors and had a mock faher to make sure the boys are ready. Dh bh was able to learn with my boys.

Some schools had an English entrance exam as well. It was on a different date.

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 30 2020, 10:28 am
It depends on what type of school you're applying to. More right-wing yeshivos will only test his limudei kodesh, not limudei chol. They will likely have him read from what he's been learning this year and ask him questions on it. It's possible they'll give him something he's never learned and ask him to read it as best as he can, but that's not the norm. Less right-wing places may also test his level in secular studies.

If you name a few of the places you're considering applying, hopefully some of us with experience applying to them can give you more detailed feedback about the farher process. You should also be able to check with his Menahel/Rebbe for info and advice.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 10:03 am
Some more questions. Thanks for any insight. Does just the father usually bring the boy to the farher (or does the mother go to)? Do the parents typically get to talk to the principal too? Should the boy wear a suit/tie or just white shirt/black pants and would he wear his hat? Does he bring his gemara along?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:01 am
It will depend what type of school you're applying to. In the more right-wing yeshivos, only DH would take him inside, though you could wait in the car if you want to come for moral support. It's probably a good idea to bring his Gemara that he's used to using and show that he's prepared, but I don't think a tie is worn. Often after the farher DH will meet briefly with whomever gave it, who may or may not be the Menahel, but I don't think this is universal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics