Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Marble Chiffon Cake - Pareve

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:34 am
I was feeling a bit nostalgic and remembered being fed marble cake at my best friend's house by her mother who was - to say the least - a bit eccentric and was full of hilarious advice (unintentionally hilarious) - her advice on dressing well was to tell us about a man she knew who had no arms but wore such snappy ties that you never noticed. LOL

Anyway an homage to her. I remember thinking marble cakes were magical and was enchanted when I made my first one and saw how easy it was to swirl into a beautiful pattern.

This is a cake that requires on beaten egg whites to give it "lift" but it uses the yolks as well so it isn't an angel food cake.

Marble Chiffon Cake

Excerpt From: Andy Sutton - Southern Dessert Cookbook: Over 500 old Fashioned, Classic & Timeless Desserts

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
• 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbs. granulated sugar
• 3 tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 7 egg yolks, at room temperature
• 3/4 cup cold water
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• 7 egg whites, at room temperature
• 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
• 1/4 cup boiling water
• 2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, melted

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, add the cake flour, 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until combined. Add the vegetable oil, egg yolks, cold water and vanilla extract to the bowl. Using a mixer on medium speed, beat for 5 minutes. The batter should be glossy and smooth.

2. In a separate mixing bowl, add the egg whites and cream of tartar. Using a mixer on medium speed, beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the cake batter. The key to the cake is the folding of the egg whites. Gently fold so you do not deflate the egg whites. Remove 1/3 of the cake batter and place in a mixing bowl.

3. Spoon half the remaining batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan. In a small bowl, add the boiling water, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and melted chocolate. Stir until combined and add to the reserved 1/3 cake batter. Spread half the chocolate batter over the white layer. Repeat the layering process one more time. Using a knife, gently swirl the batters to create a marbled effect.

4. Preheat the oven to 325°. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Do not remove the pan. Let the cake sit for 40 minutes. Run a small metal spatula around the cake to loosen the cake from the pan. Remove the cake from the pan. Cool completely before serving. This is very good covered in chocolate frosting.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 9:22 am
Thanks for sharing!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins