Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Heaven supper idea- and crazy cheap!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:44 am
I like white beans, halved cherry tomatoes, oregano, garlic, fresh ground black pepper, and shaved parmesan. Serve with roasted veggies (I like beets with salt and rosemary) and wheat pita for a quick light meal.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 4:17 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
1 lb of meat feeds ten people? Are they small eaters?

That's the point. I use it as a flavoring, not as a major part of the meal. If I make meatballs I need to use minimum 3 lb.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:41 am
OP, fyi, I think in Rockland Kosher, the turkey wings are like .99 a pound or $1.19. really really cheap and Evergreen has family packs of chicken wings many times for .89 a lb. You can get a huge pack for like $4.00 or something.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:51 am
//do pizza doigh made w almond flour in it. Baked ziti, eigel beigel, french toast, scrambled eggs omelet and sunny side up. Rewarm pizza, make grilled cheese sandwiches and practically anything in there.//

Honeydew, what is eigel beigel?? No idea what this is, but I cant stop giggling imagining myself announcing to my kids that we're having that for supper and imagining their response!

honey36

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 12:55 pm
My kids don't like most cooked veggies, so most nights I do a fresh veggies platter (celery, baby carrots, cucumber, pepper etc) some like to dip in techina and some a mayo dressing I make once a month or so.

For my kids who dont like chicken, I'll open a can of chickpeas, rinse add some salt and they'll eat that with a spoon.

One veggie they like cooked is green beans. I buy frozen to save money and time- don't need to wash or trim. Not as good as fresh but my kids don't mind. Take out of freezer in morning, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, roast on a sheet pan till wrinkly. My kids like these almost as much as french fries.

Eggs at least one night a week- doesn't take long to make and cheap. Every kid chooses their own type. One kid loves just the egg whites with cheese, so I buy the egg white cartons, just poor in the frying pan, add some cheese and bit of salt and done. Serve with toast and veggie platter.

I agree that ppl way overestimate how much protein kids need. There's a lot of protein in milk plus calcium which is super important. All my kids drink 1-2 cups of milk a day. If needed I add in a tiny drop of chocolate syrup. Doesn't rlly change the taste, but as long as my kids see me put it in their happy.

A couple of my kids will eat tuna, so there's also that for fairly cheap protein. But mainly milk, chickpeas or other legumes are my go too.

Baked rice with lentils- has protein and very filling and super easy and kids like it.
One cup rice, one cup lentils, four cups water, 3 tbspn oil, 3 tbspn soy sauce, 3 tbspn onion soup mix, pepper to taste. Put in glass rice dish with cover (or 9x13 pan covered well) and bake about 1 hour at ,350 till water is gone. I boil water first in my electric kettle to make it go faster.

dveikus

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:

Mix a huge batch of canola oil, salt paprika onion & garlic powder dash of white pepper.
And I keep it in the pantry.
Whenever I use it I mix it up a bit w a spoon, pour off a bit into a dinner plate if I do just a bit or in a bigger bowl id do more. .

Please be careful because oils infused with garlic and/or herbs and spices can cause botulism, a form of food poisoning that can be deadly, chas v'shalom. I'm just trying to keep you safe!

Here is a safety guideline for making and storing infused oils:

https://www.extension.uidaho.e.....4.pdf

"When garlic or herbs are placed in oil, the low-acid, oxygen-free environment favors the growth of these bacteria.
Commercially available oils flavored with garlic and herbs either have been acidified to prevent the growth of bacteria or they contain specific levels of microbial inhibitors.
Procedures for preparing garlic- and herb-flavored oils at home without acidifying the flavoring materials are available, but the food safety control for these products is refrigeration for a maximum of 2 to 4 days or freezing. It is unsafe to store these home-prepared garlic or herb-infused oils at room temperature."

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Yes she is. It has become very popular to use for all sorts of things, not just pizza.
People use it for anything from scrambled eggs to potato kugel to fish to chicken. It's very versatile.

I've been thinking of buying a Betty crocker pizza maker to replace my small countertop dairy toaster oven. The only thing that's holding me back is that I often make baked ziti in my toaster. It's it possible and practical to make baked ziti in the pizza maker?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 3:57 pm
I really don't see how an average size family cooks an entire meal on it. If I have to do batches vs throwing everything in the toaster oven (where already my family needs batches to get all our pizzas in), what is the real advantage?

I hear portability or no counter space or whatever, but if you already have a toaster oven, is it really better?

momonthemove

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Ha! I’m in NYC and have no idea what it is either

Haha so glad to hear I am not the only one not usinig one, but have some friends rave about them, "all the rage" in monsey past few years, reminds me of a George Forman grill or panini press, ment for pizza but people use for everything big double sided cooker thing.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:11 am
Am I the only one surprised at the vast amount of starch and carbs people are eating?

I know it's cheap and filling, but it all turns into sugar once it's been digested.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Am I the only one surprised at the vast amount of starch and carbs people are eating?

I know it's cheap and filling, but it all turns into sugar once it's been digested.

I think healthy cheap and filling can be hard
Usually time consuming from scratch and expense with shortcuts.
Carbs can be great when they are whole grain and prepared without excessive sugar, salt oil, starches I once had a nutrisionist call "nature's candy" I always think of fruit as such, but I guess she ment the junkiness!

I spent 4 yrs making everything from scratch rarely serving pasta, or dairy and check veggies all myself. It was very difficult, some days I don't have time or planning for home baked bread and checking huge amounts of veggies.

But yeah cheap healthy and filling can be rice and lentils or beans with veggies! With a light soup or bread to round it out. Also caloric needs of family make a difference.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 2:46 pm
Beans, lentils, chickpeas, eggs are all pretty cheap sources of protein. My kids like all those and have since they started eating solid foods. What is a better finger food than chickpeas??

One thing I make that can really stretch a pound of ground meat is chili with beef and lentils. I use 1 pound of ground beef and 1 pound of dry brown lentils. Tastes even better than chili with only beef imo. I serve it with cornbread which all my kids love because it is basically cake Laugh

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 4:06 pm
Rice bean cheese burrito. Mmm
Quiche
Falafel
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen