Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Jews eating Chinese food on xmas?
1  2  3  Next

Do you have a "minhag" of eating chinese food on xmas?
Yes  
 13%  [ 22 ]
No  
 86%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 159

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:06 pm
I am reading an interesting article about a Jewish "tradition" of eating Chinese food on xmas. Never heard of it where I come from so obviously this varies by community. Do you have a "minhag" of eating chinese food on xmas in your family/community?

https://www.boweryboogie.com/2.....C0xNE

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:07 pm
I think it’s more in the left wing MO communties as well as those that are not Orthodox but are Jewish.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:09 pm
That idea comes from the fact that non kosher restaurants are closed on Dec. 25 and the Chinese are open, but since this is a sight for FRUM WONEN, all kosher establishments should be open.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:11 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
That idea comes from the fact that non kosher restaurants are closed on Dec. 25 and the Chinese are open, but since this is a sight for FRUM WONEN, all kosher establishments should be open.

Pretty much. We had a kosher vegan Indian restraunt we went to.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:14 pm
It’s mainly a secular jewish thing. The only restaurants that are open are chinese so they eat there. We frum yiddelech eat shnitzel and cabbage and noodles lol

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:17 pm
Growing up conservative, we always went to Chinatown for xmas eve. Not a minhag, a tradition.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:19 pm
I am firmly against creating any sort of tradition associated with a non-Jewish religious holiday.

Even if the “Chinese food ritual” itself has nothing to do with Xtianity, it gives 12/25 a significance when I think Jewish people should give it no acknowledgement whatsoever. Why davka 12/25? Pick another date.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:22 pm
I think it's a beautiful thing! All the Jews come out of the woodwork. I know a Rabbi that (when the 25th was on Chanukah) would stand outside the local Chinese restaurant and give out menorahs.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:28 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I think it's a beautiful thing! All the Jews come out of the woodwork. I know a Rabbi that (when the 25th was on Chanukah) would stand outside the local Chinese restaurant and give out menorahs.

Beautiful that they eat trief Chinese? 🤷‍♀️

I find it very sad Sad

Well at least they don’t celebrate. I guess.

Off topic but another thing I find sad- the Frum offices that close for the 25th. I understand they have non-Jewish employees bit that shouldn’t mean that the Frum people need a day off as well....

Elfrida

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:30 pm
I never knew this was a thing! Not X-mas, but we used to get Chinese takeaway on New Years Eve while we watched all the 'year in review' programmes or played games.

Doing anything specifically for X-mas would have been weird, and we tended to go about life as normal then, but New Year had a lot less religious associations and was a nice relaxed family evening.

ETA Kosher Chinese takeaway.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:41 pm
SuperWify wrote:

I find it very sad Sad

Off topic but another thing I find sad- the Frum offices that close for the 25th. I understand they have non-Jewish employees bit that shouldn’t mean that the Frum people need a day off as well....

Groups of Jews go together, because all their xtian friends are off celebrating. You might not like the food, but it's a holiday that in the secular world brings Jews together.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:51 pm
Blah. I was raised celebrating xmas and when I converted I just treated it like it was just another day.

My mother does send me merry xmas and I reply “so what did you and the kids get today?”

Always works hehe. And besides shabbos is tomorrow and we’re anyway eating “our food” Very Happy

But yea the eating Chinese food on Xmas kinda rubs me the wrong way. Why make a tradition of a non Jewish holiday?

I don’t know anybody frum who does this but 🤷‍♀️

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:54 pm
Why do we have to CONSTANTLY slam secular Jews? They are in fact Jewish.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:55 pm
Classic SNL sketch. Very Happy

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:56 pm
SuperWify wrote:

I find it very sad Sad

My office is closed because there is no one else open to talk to. Do most frum businesses only interact with other frum businesses?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My office is closed because there is no one else open to talk to. Do most frum businesses only interact with other frum businesses?

Fair enough. I didn’t think of that.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:00 pm
SuperWify wrote:

I find it very sad Sad

Frum offices are closed on the 25th because it’s dead.
There is nothing to do in the office when you can’t email or call anyone, the banks are closed and you can’t get anything done.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:01 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Why do we have to CONSTANTLY slam secular Jews? They are in fact Jewish.

I’m not slamming them.

I’m bemoaning their plight.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:01 pm
Hey, is NO ONE a New Yorker here? I did this as a kid growing up, and it was kosher Chinese for dinner on Dec 25! My aunt and uncle would come for dinner as well. I'm from Brooklyn in the 1980's and grew up religious. My parents scrimped to pay full tuition for our schools; I think that makes me MO.

I do it sometimes for my kids, but we don't eat takeout so I do a stir-fry or chicken and broccoli dish. Not this year because its Shabbos.

...and my cousin sends me that SNL sketch every year for memories....Hey, I'll send it first this year. Thanks for the link!

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Hey, is NO ONE a New Yorker here? I did this as a kid growing up, and it was kosher Chinese fir dinner on Dec 25! My aunt and uncle would come for dinner as well. I'm from Brooklyn in the 1980's and grew up religious. My parents scrimped to pay full tuition for our schools; I think that makes me MO.

I do it sometimes for my kids, but we don't eat takeout so I do a stir-fry or chicken and broccoli dish. Not this year because its Shabbos.

Also binging on newly released films. Traditionally many of the most prestigious films were release x-mas week because they would qualify for the Academy and many adults were available versus summer movies which are more of the action blockbuster type.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics