Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I need laundry help

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:59 pm
My laundry situation is getting out of control. I need to outsource it. I have numerous children none of which have time to help nor does my husband want to help. I work full time. As far as cleaning help goes I have a once a week cleaner who cleans the house and does the linens. Currently I do laundry twice a week, put it away never and repeat. I don’t what to overspend but I can afford more help. Should I get a laundry service that picks up and drops off? Get someone to come do laundry and clean in between loads? Are there other options I’m not thinking of?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:03 pm
Which part of it is out of control?

Is the problem getting it out away?

If so, I have ideas

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:03 pm
I would hire someone to spend a full day on laundry in my home. That way everything gets taken care of, from sorting to washing, hanging, drying, folding and putting it all away.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:18 pm
Its really the whole process that I don’t have time for. Taking everyone hampers to the laundry room, separating it and turning stuff the right way, wrapping tzi tzi stings, moving all the loads and then yes folding it and bringing to everyone’s rooms. From there I have the kids out their own laundry (or not) away.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:35 pm
I work full time, none of my kids or dh help with laundry, I laso have help once a week for sponga, linen and ironing etc...I.e. we sit in a similar boat.

what helped me was the following:

BEFORE I go serve supper I wash ALL the laundry (mostly a short warm programme) and hang it immediately efore going to bed.

In the morning I wake up extra early and fold/put back.

I do this EVERY day (except shabbos, I fold in the evening Smile )

The daily loads are not huge, totally managable and due to our dry appartment they laundry dries during the night (usually).

If I stick to this there is NO problem. If I cannot stick to this for whatever reason ( for exapmle after I had a baby, if im away for several days, if we return froma long trip and there is piles and piles of dirty laundry, if I work even more hours), I need to outsource it. In that case I ask the cleaner to come three times that week and concentrate on laudnry and do otherchores between the laundrypart. once we are back on track I continue my daily laundry routine.

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:41 pm
How old are your kids? At a certain age I just told my kids that's it, they're responsible for their own laundry, end of story. If/when they complain to me that they have nothing to wear, it's their own problem for not having done their laundry.

So now my older ones do their own. I can't get them to help me with sorting anyone elses, so laundry is still just an endless cycle. I simplify it by not folding anything except linens (bedding, towels, tablecloths, napkins, and dishtowels). Dh likes his stuff folded so I leave it for him to do. For the rest of the kids and myself, I use bins in the closets instead of drawers/shelves and clothing gets dumped in the appropriate bin or hung up on a hanger.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 3:53 pm
What works for us: we have a multi sectioned sorter right outside the bedrooms. Clothes go straight there. Clearly I sort the youngest kid's clothes, but at a certain point, all kids stuff goes in the same bin.
Then I grab one of those bins when it's full and wash them.

Our hard part is the folding and putting away- but somehow my husband agreed to do that.

salt

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:08 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I work full time, none of my kids or dh help with laundry, I laso have help once a week for sponga, linen and ironing etc...I.e. we sit in a similar boat.

what helped me was the following:

BEFORE I go serve supper I wash ALL the laundry (mostly a short warm programme) and hang it immediately efore going to bed.

In the morning I wake up extra early and fold/put back.

I do this EVERY day (except shabbos, I fold in the evening Smile )

The daily loads are not huge, totally managable and due to our dry appartment they laundry dries during the night (usually).

If I stick to this there is NO problem. If I cannot stick to this for whatever reason ( for exapmle after I had a baby, if im away for several days, if we return froma long trip and there is piles and piles of dirty laundry, if I work even more hours), I need to outsource it. In that case I ask the cleaner to come three times that week and concentrate on laudnry and do otherchores between the laundrypart. once we are back on track I continue my daily laundry routine.

I think here are a lot of good solutions.
Do it every day, not twice a week.

I have 2 hampers in the laundry room - one dark and one white/light.

My kids put their dirty clothes in the hampers every evening. No hampers in the bedrooms.
So all the dirty laundry is already by the washing machine.

Another tip - each of my kids have a sock-bag at the end of their bed in their room. They put their dirty socks/tights in the bag, and bring it to the hamper when it's full, or when they have only a few clean pairs left. That way I don't need to sort socks, and anyway, there's no way to tell the difference between their socks/tights, so that way theirs stay theirs.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:22 am
OP, how old are your kids? At a certain age, they must be responsible for their own laundry. I grew up that way and have continued that as well.
And as for nobody having time to do their own laundry, I say, no, thats not a thing or cant be made to be a thing. If someone wants clean clothing, they must make the 5 minutes to put their clothing in the machine.
Its that simple. And it takes 3 seconds to take stuff out and put it in th drier, again, same thing, the kids want clean clothing, they can do that as well. And as for putting things away, that also has to be on each kid as well.

I dont see why kids can do their own laundry. It helps to teach them from a young age so that when they grow up, they can do it and then start the same "no time for laundry" conundrum.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 4:29 am
My cleaning lady comes once a week just for laundry. She doesn't actually wash - I make sure everything is washed before she comes. But she spends a good 5 hours ironing, folding and putting everything away. I think if you can afford it, it is definitely worth it.

Also, try to have separate hampers for dark and light colors - it'll save you time and everyone (from 2 yrs up) should be able to put their laundry in the right hamper.

AOM

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:44 am
Throwing it into the machines is easier for me

It’s the folding and putting away...actually mostly just the putting away.

Any ideas with that??

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 7:36 am
I have a bunch of laundry baskets. I sort the laundry once it's washed by person. Each child has a basket with all their clothing in it, but it's not folded. DH is pretty good about trying to get it folded and done. but if for some reason it does not get folded, the kids are only looking through that one basket.
I also sometimes move that basket to that room, so it's not in another place and it's neat.

Geulanow

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 8:21 am
Maybe this video can help. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPEJ2M8vuTw

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 10:17 am
Ohhh that is a cool system they have set up. Going to try to implement a few ideas.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:28 pm
I have a bunch of hampers which get dumped into the washing machine when they are full. This way there is barely any sorting - exercise clothes go in one hamper, my work clothes in another, for example.

Can you start a load in the morning, before you leave the house, and dry it when you get home? Put in a load at night and dry in the morning before you leave?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry