Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chemdas, bnos yehudis...seminary
Previous  1  2

cat81

Post Thu, Dec 03 2020, 10:56 pm
Interesting.

My daughter’s school principal/seminary point person suggested chemdas along with Bnos Sarah and
Machon Raya.

I am most interested in what happens to the girls when they finish? I am clueless as to any of them.

Background: my DD is a frum out of towner, that is interested in college/career and not a Kollel lifestyle at all. She is looking to grow both socially and academically, but not worked to death.

I am not locked into any 1 place, so feel free to mention any others. Seminar and Bnos Avigayil have been mentioned as well.

Thanks for everyone’s advice

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:31 am
So my DD is definitely planning to apply in BJJ and we hope she will get accepted (and that tuition is affordable!!!)
Where else could she apply?
We're not sure about bnos sara, it sounds way more open minded that what my DD would like!(she's very yeshivish!)
We heard chemdas is a good option but we also heard they don't give scholarship!
We are considering bnos yehudis but it sounds like a very different style than other American seminaries. Lecture type no participation rather than classes. I'm still not sure how level compares to BJJ!!!
if anyone can help I would appreciate it!!!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:05 am
If your daughter is in BK, I wouldn’t worry that Bnos Sara is too open-minded. It’s a very yeshivish place overall.
In fact, there is a very similar crowd in both bnos Sara and BJJ. (In both places you get a handful of girls who came for the intellectual stimulation and not just based on the yeshivish-ness of it.)

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So my DD is definitely planning to apply in BJJ and we hope she will get accepted (and that tuition is affordable!!!)
Where else could she apply?
We're not sure about bnos sara, it sounds way more open minded that what my DD would like!(she's very yeshivish!)
We heard chemdas is a good option but we also heard they don't give scholarship!
We are considering bnos yehudis but it sounds like a very different style than other American seminaries. Lecture type no participation rather than classes. I'm still not sure how level compares to BJJ!!!
if anyone can help I would appreciate it!!!

Didn’t know that Seminaries give scholarships. Can you please let me know which ones give substantial ones.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
If your daughter is in BK, I wouldn’t worry that Bnos Sara is too open-minded. It’s a very yeshivish place overall.
In fact, there is a very similar crowd in both bnos Sara and BJJ. (In both places you get a handful of girls who came for the intellectual stimulation and not just based on the yeshivish-ness of it.)

That's one of the biggest thing that bother her in BK that's why she davka wants to go to yeshivish place only!!!
Are you sure its only a handful in both seminaries?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:22 am
the best way to know if it can be a good fit is to see what the school recommends for her. Did they suggest BS or BJJ for her?

What about Tehilas? That might have more of the same type across the board that she is looking for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
the best way to know if it can be a good fit is to see what the school recommends for her. Did they suggest BS or BJJ for her?

What about Tehilas? That might have more of the same type across the board that she is looking for.

They suggested both, as well as chemdas!
They didn't mention tehillas!
She can't apply only to BJJ! Sad

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:27 am
I'm not in your community, so I can't comment on specific schools. What I can tell you is that you and your daughter will learn a lot by speaking to girls who have just come back from the different seminaries. They know what's really going on, can answer very specific questions, and by meeting them, you will get a good idea of what kind of girls go to which places.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:59 am
Would your typical Oros BY girl feel comfortable in Chemdas or does it gravitate more yeshivish than that. My daughter is part of a more yeshivish group but is happy with the Oros mix and is not sure she wants a place that is uniformly composed of girls that are like the most yeshivish of her friends.

sarah nechama

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 2:07 pm
Does anybody know what type of crowd is in Bnos Yehudis this year? Also, are all the teachers strictly Gateshead or do they take others as well.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 2:48 pm
Chemdas is very yeshivish. I can’t understand how a seminary advisor would suggest chemdas and machon raaya. It’s probably an oot school that doesn’t really have their finger on the pulse.
If your daughter is BJJ caliber, she can also apply to masores rochel, chemdas or bnos sara. That’s usually the second choice if you don’t get into BJJ

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 10:27 pm
sarah nechama wrote:
Does anybody know what type of crowd is in Bnos Yehudis this year? Also, are all the teachers strictly Gateshead or do they take others as well.

The crowd in bnos yehudis this year is very yeshivish and some chassidish/heimish girls as well!!(fromwhat I've heard!)
They had a open house on the phone if anyone would like to hear it 929 380 6300

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 06 2020, 11:16 pm
bnos yehudis was def more right-wing/yeshivish the first yr and this yr they def took a nice amt of reg bais yaakov type girls (not ultra yeshivish)
regarding teachers - I am pretty sure they are all or almost all gateshead alumni (I think they have some men also) and the curriculum is based on the actual Gateshead curriculum. (taught my talmidei chachomim who carefully researched all the material)

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:40 pm
Do you know when the open house is? I would love to attend.

ice coffee

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 4:58 pm
From what my girls say,
Chemdas- very yeshivush but changing principles so may take more variety this year
Seminar- yeshivish and Keeps getting more to the right girls
Hadar- very yeshivish
Mesores rochel- intown yeshivish
Bjj- solid intellectual
Bnos Sarah- solid, lots of work
Trying to think of more...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 6:03 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Do you know when the open house is? I would love to attend.

For which seminary?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 6:15 pm
Bnos Yehudis Someone posted a phone number for an open house without a time or date.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Bnos Yehudis Someone posted a phone number for an open house without a time or date.

It was last night at 5 but you can call in that number and they recorded it! Follow prompt to #2 and then selection 82

cat81

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:07 pm
Can anyone share with me the contact info for a Bnos Avigayil student, either someone whose there right now or went last year? Trying to find someone for DD to call and ask questions, and no one went there from her school.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 1:36 am
does anyone know about the chemdas program for Israeli girls?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics