Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary discussion for 2021/2022
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 5:41 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:

I'm not saying they aren't a wonderful place. I'm sure they are and I have heard lots of wonderful things.

All I'm saying if your child is struggling or she is OTD or semi religious but not engaging in sx and drinking and cursing and dressing in tank tops and shorts than this is not the proper school.

That's all I'm saying. There's a large spectrum of where people are holding and a crowd like this may drag a girl down. Someone who is simply struggling or is OTD but not engaging in these behaviors this isn't the right seminary.

Listen, Jewessence is an AMAZING program. But their girls are on the floor of the bars at night. Drugs are rappant even if they have a zero tolerance policy. They do fabulous things and Hashem should give them as much strength and financial stability as they need to keep their program running. BUT if your daughter is already on the way back may I suggest Neve Yerushalayim assuming she is not 18 but a little older. Just so you know who this information is coming from I am invovled in a nontraditional (aka not a BY or MO seminary) and I am an LCSW.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I don't think the girls in bnos sara are listening to english music, my dd went 2 yrs ago and she and all of her friends did not.

My sister went to Bnos Sarah (but more than 5 years ago). She and her friends who went are what I would describe as more open-minded, but yeshivish-BY type. Very tznius and frum. Not as insular and RW as, for example, Chemdas. It's possible that some of them would selectively listen to certain secular music.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 8:51 pm
Can anyone tell me more about amudim?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Nov 26 2020, 10:39 pm
And can someone please tell me about Meohr and Bnos chava?

Purple2

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:03 am
As someone who works with kids, I completely agree with Linens take.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can anyone tell me more about amudim?

I know it is very small and off the beaten path. It is supposed to be very warm. My DDs classmate who went is incredibly serious about yiddishkeit and very studious but beats to her own drum. I don't know much else.

cat81

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:13 am
So my DD was suggested the following seminars below. However, I am worried that they are too yeshivish for her as she listens to non Jewish music, watches the occasional movie and wants to go to college (not Kollel life). She thinks otherwise as she doesn’t even wear pencil skirts for tznius Smile

A little more background: out of tower that went to a M.O. elementary school and b”y HS (in name only). Many of her classmates are going to michlala, while the more frum Girls will go to Machon Raya. But 100% is college bound.

Bnos Sarah
Bnos Avigayil - we heard it’s not the typical type of schooling
Machon Raya - very similar to current HS and my DD wants a change

Thoughts/comments?

Last edited by cat81 on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:21 am
Not sure why her seminary advisor is suggesting chemdas or bnos sara if she listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. Totally not the type

cat81

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 12:25 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Not sure why her seminary advisor is suggesting chemdas or bnos sara if she listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. Totally not the type

That’s what I told my DD. But it seems as if the principal/advisor thinks otherwise.

Based on the school itself, everyone listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. The only question is how much.

Using that scale, the tznius of her clothing (and where she wants to be) is why they made the suggestion.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 1:34 pm
cat81 wrote:
That’s what I told my DD. But it seems as if the principal/advisor thinks otherwise.

Based on the school itself, everyone listens to non Jewish music and watches movies. The only question is how much.

Using that scale, the tznius of her clothing (and where she wants to be) is why they made the suggestion.

Which school told you that? Your dd's school or the seminary itself?
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out!!!
My Dd is very yeshivish and doesn't want to go if girls watch movies and listen to non Jewish music! We were told bnos sara is a very good choice but I'm trying to clarify this particular nekuda!
Thanks!
(Or did they mean it happens in ALL seminaries??? Sad )

cat81

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Which school told you that? Your dd's school or the seminary itself?
That's exactly what I'm trying to find out!!!
My Dd is very yeshivish and doesn't want to go if girls watch movies and listen to non Jewish music! We were told bnos sara is a very good choice but I'm trying to clarify this particular nekuda!
Thanks!
(Or did they mean it happens in ALL seminaries??? Sad )

Referring to her current school. We are not yeshivish even by out of towner standards.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Listen, Jewessence is an AMAZING program. But their girls are on the floor of the bars at night. Drugs are rappant even if they have a zero tolerance policy. They do fabulous things and Hashem should give them as much strength and financial stability as they need to keep their program running. BUT if your daughter is already on the way back may I suggest Neve Yerushalayim assuming she is not 18 but a little older. Just so you know who this information is coming from I am invovled in a nontraditional (aka not a BY or MO seminary) and I am an LCSW.

I really think you are doing a disservice to the community and spreading a lot of Loshon Hara. As a therapist in Jerusalem who works a lot with seminary girls I can tell you that in every seminary listed here there are girls drinking, doing drugs and sleeping around. From the most yeshivish BY to the most non traditional ones and yes including Jewessence. It's not everyone in every program. There are girls in BY sems that are doing ask these behaviors and girls in Jewessence who are not. By painting a picture that is not accurate it may chas vishalom result in someone who could really benefit from Jewessence not being able to go and therefore go to a sem which is not right for her and will not give her what Jewessence could.

My advice to mothers is to speak to girls who have been in each sem. I would even venture to say speak to the girls who get kicked out of the sem to see what's really go on there.

As an aside Neve does not take young women who grew up frum. That's actually why Jewessence started.

cat81

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:08 pm
Can anyone share with me the contact info for a Bnos Avigayil student, either someone whose there right now or went last year? Trying to find someone for DD to call and ask questions, and no one went there from her school.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I really think you are doing a disservice to the community and spreading a lot of Loshon Hara. As a therapist in Jerusalem who works a lot with seminary girls I can tell you that in every seminary listed here there are girls drinking, doing drugs and sleeping around. From the most yeshivish BY to the most non traditional ones and yes including Jewessence. It's not everyone in every program. There are girls in BY sems that are doing ask these behaviors and girls in Jewessence who are not. By painting a picture that is not accurate it may chas vishalom result in someone who could really benefit from Jewessence not being able to go and therefore go to a sem which is not right for her and will not give her what Jewessence could.

My advice to mothers is to speak to girls who have been in each sem. I would even venture to say speak to the girls who get kicked out of the sem to see what's really go on there.

As an aside Neve does not take young women who grew up frum. That's actually why Jewessence started.

Girls in BY seminaries don't [have relations with] 3 guys in one night and tell the whole dorm about the amazing sx they had, in detail.

I can't speak about other years but they all shared the same guys to have sx with last year.

Again I personally. Know someone who was there last year. The madrichot have mandatory weekly meetings with a counselor/therapist to talk about the girls. I don't know any other seminary that does this and also needs entire. Staff. Meeting twice a week.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 3:43 am
For those looking for something a little lighter but still with Excellent learning and a great mix of girls. Dd went two darchei Bina. She was so happy. Top teachers. A good choice of classes. Location was good as she didn't want to be central but close enuf to the hub . She really grew in her academics (she's quite smart and was stimulated plenty) as well as hashkafa. Kolel life wasn't pushed but marrying a guy who sets aside time to learn, be it each day or twice a week to was encouraged

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
For those looking for something a little lighter but still with Excellent learning and a great mix of girls. Dd went two darchei Bina. She was so happy. Top teachers. A good choice of classes. Location was good as she didn't want to be central but close enuf to the hub . She really grew in her academics (she's quite smart and was stimulated plenty) as well as hashkafa. Kolel life wasn't pushed but marrying a guy who sets aside time to learn, be it each day or twice a week to was encouraged

We just applied here and to Tomer Devorah..any idea when the letters go out?

susanstohelit

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:13 am
I just want to second the recommendation that, if your daughter is interested in MO seminaries (from Michlalah/DB on left), you check out the YU Israel Program website as a resource. The seminary pages are INCREDIBLY detailed and helpful. (There is a similar page for MO boys' Israel yeshivos.)

cat81

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
We just applied here and to Tomer Devorah..any idea when the letters go out?

I think around march 1

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Mar 13 2021, 11:45 pm
Cat81 - Since I’ve seen you commenting on many seminary threads, and I know you’ve done a lot of research - I’m really curious; Where is your daughter ending up?

cat81

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 12:39 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Cat81 - Since I’ve seen you commenting on many seminary threads, and I know you’ve done a lot of research - I’m really curious; Where is your daughter ending up?

Bnos Avigail.

Can’t take any credit as dd made decision entirely on her own.

I would say all my research was in vain but..... I did have to sign off on her seminary choice after all and wouldn’t have done it didn’t hear nice things about it.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics