Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Jews eating Chinese food on xmas?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you have a "minhag" of eating chinese food on xmas?
Yes  
 13%  [ 22 ]
No  
 86%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 159

abaker

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:41 pm
I have heard of the "traditon" in the secular jewish world. I made beef stir fry for shabbos. Now I am in the mood of Chinese food, this thread reminded me of the idea when I read it last night. Thanks! Yum

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 1:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Beautiful that they eat trief Chinese? 🤷‍♀️

I find it very sad Sad

Well at least they don’t celebrate. I guess.

Off topic but another thing I find sad- the Frum offices that close for the 25th. I understand they have non-Jewish employees bit that shouldn’t mean that the Frum people need a day off as well....

You’re assuming the Chinese places aren’t kosher. Where I am they are. If you’re somewhere 99% celebrate xmas you’re bound to have to be involved. Don’t be ridiculous.

etky

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 8:19 am
self-actualization wrote:
I don’t think you should knock it so quickly. I have a coworker who is Jewish and totally secular and won’t discuss any holiday or thing like that, but she will come over and tell me about the movie lineup at her “Chinese and a movie” party with her Jewish friends that she looks forward to all year. I think there is even an idea for a Jewish singles meeting that night called “The Matzoh Ball.”

My DH, who grew up in the Conservative Movement, has very fond memories of the Matzoh Ball Wink

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 9:10 am
For those of you who are appalled at what secular Jews do on x-mas, I'm really not so sure that it's any worse thst Nittel Nacht.

At least they don't rule out learning Torah on that day.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 3:48 pm
No we do not. This 'tradition' is a thing with nonobservant Jews, since in the old days before the Flood, the only restaurants that would be open late on December 24 were owned by Chinese people who do not observe this holiday. Back when I was a child, there was exactly one kosher Chinese restaurant in town, it was not in my neighborhood, and we were too poor to eat there. I always had school on 12/25, even if it was a Friday, so December 24 was a school night like any other.

Nowadays, the social "laws" about being open on December 25 have changed, many Chinese restaurant owners are actually Christian, and there are many businesses and eateries open late on December 24 and even the 25th.

I never heard of the Chinese-food-and-a-movie shtick till I met my dh, whose family kept kosher at home but ate out tref.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 4:28 pm
We have no traditional way of doing things on 12/25. Usually my husband is off and my kids have school, although they didn't this year because it was also a fast day.

Growing up though, we used to do a movie and Chinese food (kosher, of course!) on Thanksgiving because we were all off and it was something fun to do together. My father isn't American so we never really celebrated Thanksgiving unless we were invited to someone else's house.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 6:57 am
Re secular Jews on the 25th: They might be covering shifts for friends, and they might be involved in community mitzvah campaigns e.g. volunteering in soups kitchens to give the regulars time to spend with their family.
May all this lead to many more, bigger and better things.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 6:59 am
Should Orthodox Jews send X-mas cards and greetings via social media in front of obvious Xmas decorations?

Just asking LOL

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:02 am
SuperWify wrote:
Beautiful that they eat trief Chinese? 🤷‍♀️

I find it very sad Sad

Well at least they don’t celebrate. I guess.

Off topic but another thing I find sad- the Frum offices that close for the 25th. I understand they have non-Jewish employees bit that shouldn’t mean that the Frum people need a day off as well....
my frum office is closed on the 25th but we are not closed for chol hamoed so...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Should Orthodox Jews send X-mas cards and greetings via social media in front of obvious Xmas decorations?

Just asking LOL

This last week's Headlines podcast covered all sorts of related issues. I haven't listened to it yet.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:20 am
I think it's a pretty amazing thing how 12/25 brings out the pintele Yid in a lot of secular Jews who otherwise don't give a lot of thought to their Judaism.

Think about it. Jews celebrate thanksgiving, July 4th and other secular American holidays. But this is one day that's explicitly a religious holiday that's a pretty big deal on the American calendar. For a lot of Jews growing up secular, it's a day when they really start to think to themselves what it means to be Jewish, what it means to be different from the non-Jews around them. Or why all the other kids are going to santa in the mall and they're not.

I think we should try to use that hisorerus for a good thing and offer them a positive meaning for being Jewish (other than those people who don't celebrate x-mas).
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics