Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Making a upsherin during Covid

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:06 pm
I'm thinking of making an upsherin for my son. I am in mid pregnancy and still a bit nervous about catching Covid as I haven't had it yet. I want to make him a nice upsherin with about 30 people. What if I only have people that I am exposed to daily? What would you do? Am I being totally irresponsible??

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:23 pm
Are you going to work? Is your kid going to school? Does dh go to shul? What's going on in your community? Follow that lead and don't listen to any fear mongering people here.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Are you going to work? Is your kid going to school? Does dh go to shul? What's going on in your community? Follow that lead and don't listen to any fear mongering people here.

I live in Lakewood so yes sort of going about life as usual but definitely more cautious before I go to simchas and big crowds..

southernbubby

Post Sat, Dec 26 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm thinking of making an upsherin for my son. I am in mid pregnancy and still a bit nervous about catching Covid as I haven't had it yet. I want to make him a nice upsherin with about 30 people. What if I only have people that I am exposed to daily? What would you do? Am I being totally irresponsible??

I don't know what types of exposure that you have to 30 people everyday but nobody knows what is happening to someone else's body. Somebody could have the virus. I would probably not have something where all of the people are there indoors at the same time. It looks like some places, such as It in New Haven, have birthday parties because there is adequate ventilation and room for SD and people wear masks except for eating. Can you make the upsherin in a place like that?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:17 am
Even though you're in Lakewood, I'd vote no. If you have a porch, maybe grab and go goodie bags.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:22 am
Quote:

Anti-maskers like to complain about social pressure and being attacked for not wearing masks.

But here we see that the social pressure is in the opposite direction. Even people trying to take reasonable precautions are dismissed for "fear mongering."

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:38 am
Yes, I think its totally irresponsible. I am all for living normal life, running whatever errands you need, working out, etc but their is no reason to justify getting together in a small room , having prolonged exposure with 30 people for a birthday party for a 3 year old who doesn’t even know the difference.
This is the type of events that is just asking to spread covid.
And yes it’s different than school where desks are somewhat spread apart, most kids have plexiglass/ masks on.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:05 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Yes, I think its totally irresponsible. I am all for living normal life, running whatever errands you need, working out, etc but their is no reason to justify getting together in a small room , having prolonged exposure with 30 people for a birthday party for a 3 year old who doesn’t even know the difference.
This is the type of events that is just asking to spread covid.
And yes it’s different than school where desks are somewhat spread apart, most kids have plexiglass/ masks on.

Not to mention it won't be just kids but adults too.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

A pregnant woman is asking if she should take a risk. She might be able to make a memorable simcha without as much of a risk. I don't see anyone telling her to have absolutely no simcha whatsoever but we can't responsibly tell someone to ignore the risk and make a large indoor gathering when a reasonable chance of infection exists. There are probably creative ways to celebrate that doesn't put her at as much risk.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:22 pm
I looked at Lakewood weather and saw it's supposed to be relatively warm. I thought, maybe you could do an outdoor thing. I still vote no. If you've been really close and regularly exposing yourself to certain relatives, maybe, maybe the could come to an outdoor thing but I'm still inclined to say no.

No, I'm not fear-mongering. Just a realist who might be livestreaming a levaya soon. It's not over.,

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:27 pm
I think you should go ahead with your plans. Im currently pregnant, never had it, been to my nephews upsherin and I would do the same.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:30 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

No they don’t and they are in school together from 8am until 4pm

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
No they don’t and they are in school together from 8am until 4pm

That depends on the school. Where I teach all restrictions are taken (desks spaced apart, masks, and plexiglass)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics