Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher chicken pot pie

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:17 pm
One of the foods that I really miss from my non kosher eating days is Boston Market's chicken pot pie. I have always been intimidated to try to make it because it seems like a patchke and I am a very novice cook.

Has anyone made the recipe below? Was it good? It seems simple enough. The only thing is I think I would prefer to have dough along the bottom of the pie also.

Also, if anyone has other recipes for chicken pot pie that they like, please share!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....21934

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:19 pm
I’ve made this a few times and it’s really delicious I use any non dairy milk for heavy cream. Usually oat milk. https://natashaskitchen.com/ch.....cipe/

I cheat and buy frozen crust. My kids love when we have this for dinner.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I’ve made this a few times and it’s really delicious I use any non dairy milk for heavy cream. Usually oat milk. https://natashaskitchen.com/ch.....cipe/

I cheat and buy frozen crust. My kids love when we have this for dinner.

Thanks! What kind of frozen crust do you buy? Are there kosher pareve ones available from non-Jewish brands?

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:24 pm
I get ones called oronoque or wholly wholesome both are pareve and in my grocery store freezer section

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:25 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I get ones called oronoque or wholly wholesome both are pareve and in my grocery store freezer section

Thank you! I will look for these.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:30 pm
I also use frozen Oranoque pie crusts. It's a 2 pack, so I turn one over for the top. I use soy milk instead of milk, and I leave out the peas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I also use frozen Oranoque pie crusts. It's a 2 pack, so I turn one over for the top. I use soy milk instead of milk, and I leave out the peas.

Thanks for clarifying this. I was just about to ask if I am supposed to buy two pie shells and use the second one for the top. They must be soft enough to manipulate the shape? I guess I should defrost them before trying to make the pie?

I know, these are total beginner questions. I don't cook a lot and I bake even less.

shanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:30 pm
Grocery stores sell a ready made on in the freezer (kosher stores I mean) I forgot the brand. Used to have them when I was a kid

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for clarifying this. I was just about to ask if I am supposed to buy two pie shells and use the second one for the top. They must be soft enough to manipulate the shape? I guess I should defrost them before trying to make the pie?

I know, these are total beginner questions. I don't cook a lot and I bake even less.

I've never made this kind of pie but I use those all the time for apple pies. One tip is to take the crust you're using for the top when still frozen, take it out of the foil pan, and leave it on a piece of parchment/silpat/something else nonstick. Then let it defrost while you fill the pie and flip it over onto the pie by holding the parchment paper under it, so it keeps its shape and doesn't stick to the pan.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
One of the foods that I really miss from my non kosher eating days is Boston Market's chicken pot pie. I have always been intimidated to try to make it because it seems like a patchke and I am a very novice cook.

Has anyone made the recipe below? Was it good? It seems simple enough. The only thing is I think I would prefer to have dough along the bottom of the pie also.

Also, if anyone has other recipes for chicken pot pie that they like, please share!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....21934

I've pretty much done this recipe! I LOVE Chicken pot pie, and this works out great for me. I don't like oat milk, I use rich's whip because it does lend a little bit of sweetness and I find it really makes it for me. But if you're one of the healthy people, any nut milk should work.

I also love puff pastry, and not pie dough, for pot pie.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:05 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I've pretty much done this recipe! I LOVE Chicken pot pie, and this works out great for me. I don't like oat milk, I use rich's whip because it does lend a little bit of sweetness and I find it really makes it for me. But if you're one of the healthy people, any nut milk should work.

I also love puff pastry, and not pie dough, for pot pie.

Thanks! Are there kosher pareve non-Jewish brands of puff pastry?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Are there kosher pareve non-Jewish brands of puff pastry?

Pepperidge farm

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 22 2020, 10:08 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Pepperidge farm

Amazing, thank you. I don't know yet which I will use for the pot pie, but I have other things I want to try with puff pastry also.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:02 pm
would almond work as well or do I need oat or soy milk?
also curious if anyone has ever done it with a wholewheat pie crust and do they have one they like?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen