Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Buying meat in Eretz Yisroel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 4:46 pm
Hi Israeli mothers. We will it"H be spending Pesach till Shavuos in Israel between Yerushalayim and Natalya and I will be doing all the cooking. Please can someone in Israel tell me if it's possible to get the following meats in Israel:
Fresh whole duck, if so is it cleaned?
Fresh lamb, all cuts
Fresh veal, including veal ribs
Whole turkey
Cuts of meat that are marbleized, I heard that Israeli meat is very tough as it doesn't have marbleized fat like in america.
In general are the chickens cleaned if feathers. This goes for all the poultry, I hate having to clean feathers!
If anyone knows the answers and where to find the butchers I would appreciate it.
Also, is there any ordering groceries in english online there?

Teomima

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 5:21 pm
I don't buy meat so I can't help you, but try again in the morning local time for more responses (you posted at 11:46pm Israeli time so most of the women who could help you are probably asleep).

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 5:41 pm
Meat choice on agripas has very nice meat and they will cut it for your liking...don't know exactly what they have

Well done har chotzfim should have what you are looking for

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 11:27 pm
I don't live in either of those cities so my local butcher wont be able to help you but my chickens are so clean, I have never found a feather.

You can definitely special order whole turkeys in areas where Americans live. People order for Thanksgiving but a good butcher should be able to get it for you with advance notice.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 11:33 pm
I don't live in either of those cities, but in Jerusalem there's a really good butcher on Ramban who can pretty much get you anything, though it's expensive. Does someone remember his name?

I suppose you know that right now, noncitizens can't get into Israel, and returning citizens need to spend 10 to 14 days in isolation at a corona hotel. There's no telling how things will be at Pesach time.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:42 am
In Yerushalayim, Hacker's is the best butcher, one of the absolute best in the country.

Otherwise, you can get good quality and good hechsher ordering through Atliz.

Everything you listed should be available.

[As for toughness, that has more to do with your ability to choose and pay for a good cut of meat. I have a feeling that the people whom badmouthed the meat (which is the same Uruguayan/Argentinian beef as goes to America), tried to buy cheap or bad cuts and then make them work.]

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:09 am
It all depends on your hechsherim.
Pesach time there are many options for lamb, all parts, fresh or frozen, I never shop for veal but I imagine the same applies.
Duck, harder to find whole and fresh, if you require badatz hechsher I’m not sure it exists, maybe at specialty butcher shops.
You can get whole turkeys everywhere, but you might have to order in advance.
I find that the more strict mehadrin poultry are full of feathers, while the ordinary mehadrin chickens I buy have no feathers at all.
Re: beef, you should get nice cuts of marbleised meat at any butcher - I do think beef here might be of lesser quality (unless you buy local beef which is expensive and rarely glatt) but you can get pretty good cuts at any butcher.

jkw

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:35 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Meat choice on agripas has very nice meat and they will cut it for your liking...don't know exactly what they have

Well done har chotzfim should have what you are looking for

Meat Choice is very clean, English speaking and they deliver (at least in Jerusalem they do). I know that if you buy a leg of lamb they will cut it as you wish. I saw a lady leave with one cut to her specifications.
As for groceries, you can use superdeal or supermishloach online for deliveries.
For fruits and vegetables the Fruit Guys Israel (I.e. fresh n fruity) get great stuff and deliver when they say they will. Excellent English.
There is also farmtofamily.co.il that has a wide variety of products.
Travel safely!

jkw

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:54 am
Forgot to mention that is you want a superb coffee fix go to POWERCOFFEEWORKS on Agrippas near the shuk. The dati owners roast their own daily and you can have whatever type of coffee you want. If the cafe is open it is a nice place to sit after the shopping in the shuk ( I can dream, can't I?)

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 6:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi Israeli mothers. We will it"H be spending Pesach till Shavuos in Israel between Yerushalayim and Natalya and I will be doing all the cooking. Please can someone in Israel tell me if it's possible to get the following meats in Israel:
Fresh whole duck, if so is it cleaned?
Fresh lamb, all cuts
Fresh veal, including veal ribs
Whole turkey
Cuts of meat that are marbleized, I heard that Israeli meat is very tough as it doesn't have marbleized fat like in america.
In general are the chickens cleaned if feathers. This goes for all the poultry, I hate having to clean feathers!
If anyone knows the answers and where to find the butchers I would appreciate it.
Also, is there any ordering groceries in english online there?

I don’t buy very much meat here so I can’t tell advise re what’s available, but there are two newish butchers in the Romema area of Yerushalayim that are said to be very “American-style” and have a large variety of cuts etc, all very clean and nicely packaged. These are Pick A Deli and Well Done (there is another branch of Well Done in Har Chotzvim).

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:48 am
Forgot to add: if you want to arrange the private mehadrin shechita of a sheep, or a joint private mehadrin shechitah of a calf, pm me. Grass-fed, pastured animals owned by tzaddikim.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 4:10 pm
Rappel wrote:
Forgot to add: if you want to arrange the private mehadrin shechita of a sheep, or a joint private mehadrin shechitah of a calf, pm me. Grass-fed, pastured animals owned by tzaddikim.

How intriguing! Never heard of such a thing. Who butchers the meat afterwards?? I wouldn't know what to do with a side of cow lol

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:36 am
I buy all my meat from Benny’s butcher. I got the recommendation from peas love and carrots and have been very happy. They deliver to Jerusalem forsure..not sure about netanya.
The chicken is almost cleaner than what I used to get in America!
Highly recommend them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions