Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Special silver gift for DH. Why doesn't anyone do this?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 8:57 pm
My DH has seen them though he didn't see them in real silver but I guess he's from a younger simpler crowd. It's type kind of thing.

naomi1

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:00 pm
I have never heard of silver tefillin boxes, and I think it’s a beautiful gift to get him! One thing I would consider is what does he do with his tefillin bag when not davening? Does he leave it somewhere, for example if he is going to a shiur? Or some men have a shelf in shul where they always leave it? I wouldn’t want to leave my tefillin bag anywhere if I had real silver in the bag!

Optione

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:26 pm
Wouldn't the silver get all banged up after just a couple of days?

Scotty

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:34 pm
DH says halachically they are supposed to be plain as historically the tzeddukim made them out of gold etc

Maybe ask your LOR first!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:34 pm
I asked my DH, he has seen it in his shul, but it’s a Sephardic shul.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 1:55 am
Maybe bind his favorite siddur or tehillim with a matching cover to his tallis and tefillin bag.

Bas Yisrael

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 2:38 am
My husband says it’s normal for Rebbes but very unusual for the average person, even if they are very rich. But then, I noticed that while furry Tallis bags that were once strictly for Rebbes became popular for bar mitzvah bochurim, (although my sons Yeshiva sent home a note that fur or leather tefillin bags are not allowed..) so you never know. Maybe your husband will be the one to raise the standards and make it the next must have for a chassidish bar mitzvah boys or Chasanim. You never know... lol. I do wonder regarding the Halacha part. Will do some research..

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:36 am
Bas Yisrael wrote:
My husband says it’s normal for Rebbes but very unusual for the average person, even if they are very rich. But then, I noticed that while furry Tallis bags that were once strictly for Rebbes became popular for bar mitzvah bochurim, (although my sons Yeshiva sent home a note that fur or leather tefillin bags are not allowed..) so you never know. Maybe your husband will be the one to raise the standards and make it the next must have for a chassidish bar mitzvah boys or Chasanim. You never know... lol. I do wonder regarding the Halacha part. Will do some research..

AFAIK, that is not halacha (maybe they did not want the boys to have expensive show-offy-tefillin bags?).

The bags can be made of any material; even leather made from treif animals is okay.

Bas Yisrael

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 5:50 am
DrMom wrote:
AFAIK, that is not halacha (maybe they did not want the boys to have expensive show-offy-tefillin bags?).

The bags can be made of any material; even leather made from treif animals is okay.

Exactly my point. All I meant was, it’s the latest trend and I assume the Yeshiva wanted to stop it before it’s out of control... which is not a bad thing since the living standards are hard enough for the average hard working family to follow. But for OP its different because (hopefully?) at this age, it won’t become a standard that everyone will feel they need to live up to.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:26 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
So I just asked my Hungarian dh, he said He’s seen chasidim with it.
When I asked if he would ever want it, he said no, too gaudy and showy. So it depends how chasidish you are I guess.

You mean it depends how showy you are. My very chassidish husband would never want it. I bought him a new tefillin battel recently, and went with black on black, bec. he hates showy stuff like that. There are showy chassidim, and non showy chassidim. and showy litvaks, and showy MO people. Really manifests in different ways. Nice ferraegamo shoes, luxury car, or silver tefillin. Pick your method.

EMEN

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:07 am
If you call one of the silver stores that create custom pieces they would probably be able to tell you if it's a common thing and they would also be able to create it for you.

Here are two lakewood stores you can call
Argentum: (732) 987-5404
European Silver: (732) 942-9372

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:30 am
naomi1 wrote:
I have never heard of silver tefillin boxes, and I think it’s a beautiful gift to get him! One thing I would consider is what does he do with his tefillin bag when not davening? Does he leave it somewhere, for example if he is going to a shiur? Or some men have a shelf in shul where they always leave it? I wouldn’t want to leave my tefillin bag anywhere if I had real silver in the bag!
Um, to me the tfillin are way more valuable than the pieces of silver. Rather have the silver stolen and the tfillin remain. But that's just me. no offense.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:57 am
The cover is to protect the tefillin from nicks snd scratches. Silver is a soft metal, so the silver itself could scratch the Tefillin. This silver piece would be to put on the tefillin just before they are placed on the bag. They are not seen for more than a minute or two. I understand that one is not mekayem the mitzva of tefillin if they are not touching his skin. If this gift is for him, not for others to see, it is a beautiful idea.
Just make sure that the material directly touching the tefillin is a velvet lining, then a rigid cover with the silver only on the outside.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics