Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Speedy Skillet Ravioli Lasagna

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:37 am
The title says it all - super easy to make and to clean up as everything starts on the stove and is baked in the oven.

A bagged green salad and dinner is served - and no one would suspect how easy it is. I imagine it could be simplified even further with a good bottled sauce but it was easy enough to just saute the aromatics and add the tomatoes for the sauce part.

Speedy Skillet Ravioli Lasagna

Excerpt From: Anna Hezel - Lasagna

6 TO 8 SERVINGS

This is our version of lasagna in under thirty minutes: Thanks to a little help from a package of frozen ravioli, you can pull a skillet of toasty, bubbly lasagna from the oven in a little more than half an hour. In this ingenious one pan supper (shout-out to Grace Parisi, the brains behind the recipe!), you make a tomato sauce right in the same skillet you use to bake the whole thing, and the ravioli—layered with mozzarella and Parm—cooks and soaks up the tomato flavor at the same time the starch from the pasta thickens the sauce. Now, Grace, can you please work on an air-fryer lasagna recipe for Lasagna, the sequel?

Tomato Sauce

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced - I used my garlic press instead of slicing
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 large fresh basil sprigs, plus torn leaves for garnish
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (preferably Diamond Crystal)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Lasagna

1½ pounds frozen cheese ravioli
8 ounces mozzarella cheese (preferably fresh), shredded (2 cups)
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 450°F with a rack in the center.

Make the tomato sauce:

Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until it darkens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes, basil sprigs, sugar, and 1 cup water. Season with the salt and black pepper and increase the heat slightly to bring to a boil.

Cook the ravioli:

Gently separate any frozen ravioli stuck together without tearing. Any that resist will separate during cooking. Add the ravioli to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until the sauce is very thick and the ravioli are just tender, about 15 minutes.

Assemble the ravioli lasagna: Spoon half of the ravioli and sauce into a bowl. Arrange the ravioli in the skillet in an even layer and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella. Arrange the remaining ravioli on top and sprinkle with the Parmesan and remaining mozzarella.

Bake the ravioli lasagna: Bake until bubbling and the cheese is lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Scatter the basil leaves on top and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:06 pm
Yum!

I make a version of this with sliced mushrooms (not canned, those are gross.) Then I add leftover eggplant dip from Shabbos, or fried eggplant slices. Sometimes I add fried zucchini slices as well. Thawed frozen spinach is a nice addition sometimes.

Gotta get those veggies in!

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:11 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Yum!

I make a version of this with sliced mushrooms (not canned, those are gross.) Then I add leftover eggplant dip from Shabbos, or fried eggplant slices. Sometimes I add fried zucchini slices as well. Thawed frozen spinach is a nice addition sometimes.

Gotta get those veggies in!

I like reading old cookbooks - I think it's such an interesting way to really learn about how people lived.

The evolution of ingredients is so notable - there was a time when canned mushroom were gourmet and now even a neighborhood market will have a wide range of fresh mushrooms. My Bubbe immigrated from Poland before WW II and she tells me that her idea of a fantastic food was the canned fruit cocktail which no one in our family would dream of eating now - not even her. That and green and red jello. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals