Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Is Walmart Jewish owned?

mommybrr

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:48 am
Does anyone know if Walmart is owned by Jews today?
Customer service rep made a mistake on an order and my rav told me to find out if the owner is Jewish before making a decision if halachically I have to continuously reach out to them to correct the error. (I have called and chatted multiple times to correct it but no luck so far.)
Please only respond if you know for a fact either way. Thank you

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:51 am
It is a publicly traded family-owned business, as the company is controlled by the Walton family. Sam Walton's heirs own over 50 percent of Walmart through both their holding company Walton Enterprises and their individual holdings.

I am shocked your rav does not know this. No, the Walton family is not Jewish, but stockholders are.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:04 am
mommybrr wrote:
Does anyone know if Walmart is owned by Jews today?
Customer service rep made a mistake on an order and my rav told me to find out if the owner is Jewish before making a decision if halachically I have to continuously reach out to them to correct the error. (I have called and chatted multiple times to correct it but no luck so far.)
Please only respond if you know for a fact either way. Thank you

So Jews don't have to correct errors in orders?
Or is it non-Jews that don't have to correct errors in orders?

Shouldn't all businesses send people what they ordered and paid for, regardless of the religion of the seller or buyer?

mommybrr

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:04 am
Thank you

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:15 am
DrMom wrote:

Shouldn't all businesses send people what they ordered and paid for, regardless of the religion of the seller or buyer?

It sounds like the error was in her favor, and she's already reached out without success.

mommybrr

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:16 am
DrMom wrote:

Of course Jews have to correct errors to orders.
Here's what happened: I cancelled and order and was refunded ($100 order). A week later the item was delivered. I chatted and scheduled a pickup. Courier came but didn't bring a label and said they can't take it. I called and chatted a few more times and pickups were again scheduled with Fedex but never actually picked up. The box is outside my house every day for over a week. Every time I call and ask for a supervisor to help me return the item I am told that they will call me back within the hour but never did. I told one rep that by leaving it out all day for days it may get ruined by rain or possible stolen, he said don't worry I guarantee it will be picked up tomorrow and if anything happens you won't be held responsible. Box is still outside my house.
Question to Rav was- to what extent to I have to try and get them to pick up the item. I have spent over 2 hours on calls and customer service chats to return this item.

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:37 am
I just want to say, I think you are amazing for calling your rav to ask.

I would just forget about it after trying 2-3 times. If a business can't get their act together, I don't see it as my issue.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:39 am
I think you have done your part. I've has similar expiriences with other brands and my Rav never asked if they are Jewish or not. After. 2-3 times of trying to return my Rav has told me I am allowed to keep things.

mommybrr

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 11:47 am
Thanks for your replies. I felt guilty keeping cuz it's something my son really wants but is expensive. I decided to splurge and buy it for Chanuka, but when it still hadn't shipped after the date it should have been delivered, I canceled the order and bought a $25 gadget at the toy store. My husband felt that after multiple attempts to return and getting confirmation from them that I wont be responsible if its damaged or stolen I should just keep it. I wanted to hear from a rav that it's okay and I'm not doing something wrong just because it's something I would be happy to keep at no cost.
ETA- if it's a Jewish owned company, halachically it's not so simple to keep even if it's their mistake.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:18 pm
mommybrr wrote:

ETA- if it's a Jewish owned company, halachically it's not so simple to keep even if it's their mistake.

Why? If you have spent so much time and energy on it than it seems the company has made it hefker. Just like if you find money and do your best to find the owner at some point its halachically hefker.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:27 pm
OP, I had the same experience with Wal Mart, they gave me a refund for a return and never came to pick it up.

mommybrr

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:45 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Why? If you have spent so much time and energy on it than it seems the company has made it hefker. Just like if you find money and do your best to find the owner at some point its halachically hefker.

I'm not exactly sure- something along the lines of whether the non-jewish employee has the right to forgive the money of his Jewish boss.. It's really above my level. I'm just parroting what I was told.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 12:57 pm
Op I had similar with walmart.

I had ordered a $250 treadmil that was on sale for around $150. The tracking showed that it was intransit but at some point it stopped moving and it hasn't moved in 2 weeks. I called in and they shipped a 2nd one. A week or so later the 1st one arrived. 2 days later the second one arrived.

I kept on calling and they refused to take it back becuase there was no order to "return".
Back and forth we went for weeks.

Until I got fed up and I called my my sister to come take it. She was thinking of buying one so I gave it to her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics