Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ABA Therapy or not?
Previous  1  2

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:29 am
The schools all push aba so your child can have a private person and they make money from each referral! They have psychologists who will write asd for any child!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 12:56 am
I wouldn't do it from am ethical standpoint. Besides, why would you label your child with something so inaccurate? You never know how it will negatively impact him later on.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:19 am
I’ve spoke to lot of people who had ABA and they are heavily traumatised by that. It’s basically a puppy course to make the kid “normal”. So he would fit in, it gives lots of stress Google on ABA is abusive. About people who’ve been through ABA it helped sometimes with people but lots of people suffer from treatment come out as overwhelmed and self hating

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:27 am
If you do go with ABA, keep a close eye on what they are doing, and if it seems cruel, it is (no matter what clinical explanation they give).

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:40 am
I have 3 kids with ASD, all 3 are high functioning.

The youngest was diagnosed at age 2, got a lot of help, including ABA, early, and is mainstreamed and doing well right now, we'll see how the next life transitions go.

The next wasn't diagnosed until 10th grade (girls present differently from boys). Up till then, she had been given a diagnosis of ADD. She was really resistant to getting help, and goes back and forth between brilliance and serious, pull the covers over your head and don't get up for a month burnout.

The next wasn't diagnosed until this year at age 26, previously just diagnosed with ADHD. He had been tolerably okay until he disintegrated, unable to finish the yeshiva and college program he was on, then came home and sat there. With help, got a job. Lost it with Covid. Now, 2 years after he came home, we're getting him the help he needs, and starting to see forward progress.

IME, help is good, and the younger, the better. But you just have to keep an eye on what's going on -- that's true for any therapy for anyone.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 5:54 pm
Have this exact issue now with my child.

He's a perfectly normal child, needs private tutoring for learning disabilities. His teacher recommended applying for aba so we can make money and have more funds for pt. As of now he has p3 but not enough hours. Is it worth applying for aba for the benefits of making money off it? As of now we're paying $500 out of pocket per week

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 7:26 pm
By the way to get ABA you need to purchase private insurance.- as Medicaid doesn’t cover it.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:35 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
By the way to get ABA you need to purchase private insurance.- as Medicaid doesn’t cover it.

That's not the case

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He got a psychological evaluation and doesnt have ASD according to her. But he needs help in certain areas (not every child that needs help has ASD). The BOE is very stingy in giving help so sometimes they over dramatize the report at the request of the mother.
The school asked me to do it in order for him to qualify for SEIT. Now the school feels that since he has an evaluation with ASD in it, let him get a para as well.
This is where I am standing now. I want to know if to go for the para since there is nothing to loose anyways or no, the school is just taking advantage of me and a para wont help in any way.

The BOE psychological evaluation is IQ testing. You would go to a neuropsychologist or developmental pediatrician for a diagnosis of autism. It sounds like they do think he might have autism.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:48 pm
Hi everyone,
I find it a little funny that old threads gets bumped up like this. When I opened the email link, it took me a good minute to realize that I am the OP. Lol.
So much has happened, we've come a long way baruch hashem.
We did not go for ABA instead we went privately to the most amazing OT. With help from his SLP and SEIT from school, he came a long way.
His teachers and principle believe he doesnt need all the help any longer.
We can't thank H' enough how far he came with the right Help/Shluchim!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:59 pm
Clear I’m curious how you got ABA without purchasing insurance?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 9:19 pm
Maybe she already has private insurance that covers ABA

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 9:24 pm
If your child does not have ASD, do not get him ABA.
First off, the way you are being told to go about this is straight up stealing.

Secondly, I work in education. While ABA does help many children on the spectrum, and is a great service, it also leaves them scripted and almost takes away their spontaneous expression and language. I would most definitely stay away if it wasn't needed.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 11:00 pm
Clear I’m curious how you got ABA without purchasing insurance?

How exactly do you know I don't have insurance Confused

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 11:15 pm
I don’t know what insurance you have. I also have a child recieving ABA services and I purchase expensive insurance to get it. You wrote “that is not the case”. So I was wondering if maybe you have another way to get it which would be helpful for me as well.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 11:23 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
The schools all push aba so your child can have a private person and they make money from each referral! They have psychologists who will write asd for any child!

Yep, this will end in handcuffs and the “antisemitism” card will have to be used.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 12:29 am
I don’t know what insurance you have. I also have a child recieving ABA services and I purchase expensive insurance to get it. You wrote “that is not the case”. So I was wondering if maybe you have another way to get it which would be helpful for me as well.

We have a reg family plan

amother
Phlox

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 1:01 am
I am a special ed teacher and I am not a proponent of ABA. I'm actually shocked at how popular it has become. When the school I worked in nearly 25 years ago started using it I thought it would become obsolete within a few years and at most be used for severely autistic children. It makes no sense to use it for high functioning kids. Kids should be taught not programmed.

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 1:41 am
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
I am a special ed teacher and I am not a proponent of ABA. I'm actually shocked at how popular it has become. When the school I worked in nearly 25 years ago started using it I thought it would become obsolete within a few years and at most be used for severely autistic children. It makes no sense to use it for high functioning kids. Kids should be taught not programmed.

I agree.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Feb 11 2022, 2:26 am
In what way does an asd label affect the child later in life? What do you all mean by saying it stays on their file?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics