Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Allergy friendly cooking

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 6:47 pm
Life can be all the more difficult when you have to deal with food allergies/sensitivities. Let's share some ideas on substitutions, modifying recipes, and just support each other and give some new ideas.

The allergies we have (and I say that becuase what affects one really does affect the whole family) include:
Peanuts, Tree nuts (all), soy, legumes, sesame, sunflower, corn, eggs, fish (one of the only things I serve that is on this list as only DD has this allery), cumin, curry, parsley, corriander, msg, sulfites, food coloring, dyes, canteloup, oranges (I buy canteloup and oranges for the non-allergenics), calcium carbonate

Sensitivities include: dairy, glutten (wheat and barley being the worst), preservatives, mold (includes some cheeses), animal fat, various spices.

Over the years I have compiled an extensive colelction of recipes and ideas. I am open to sharing, but would rather PM or email the recipes, but I am happy to discuss them here (they just take too long to retype with all the measurements and what not)

Thanks, can't wait to see what everyone brings to the table!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 10:19 pm
Oh goodness, I am going out of my mind with sensitivities / allergies and I am really sad to hear that someone else is in a similar boat Sad

cip

Post Tue, Feb 12 2008, 11:22 pm
wow. your list is so annoyingly long.

how did you find out your allergies/sensitivities?

have you ever tried treating the allergies with any methods?

ds who is nursing is allergic to lots of food so I'm on his diet till he stops nursing.

his list is a bit diff. from yours so I don't know how much sharing recipies will help.

allergies to: white flour, all sugars, egg whites, yeast, dairy, soy, salmon, citrus, almods,cashews,peanuts, onions, garlic, most spices, msg, oats, peaches, string beans, strawberries, avocado, barley, kashe, quino, white potato, dust, pollen, grass, mold, tide, some soaps and creams
thats what I remember off hand
also rice , red potato , w.w. flour,and flounder(fish) in moderation.

I eat:
I learned how to make my own spelt muffins with walnuts,dates,white raisins
spelt crackers with apple spread
veg. soup with beans
split pea soup
chickpeas
corn
paprika chiken
honey chicken
cornmeal shnitzel
spelt noodles,farfel...
carrot
roasted sweet potatoes
apple kugel
apple/pear crumble

I want a carrot muffin or cake recipe.

I started giving ds food but I dont know what to give instead of milk or soy when he's ready to wean? doesn't he need calcium?

montrealmommy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2008, 5:07 pm
CIP: Wow, that's tough, if it's any consolation, DS also had a laundry list of allergies when nursing and for about a year, then slowly his began to tollerate and then totally eat many of the "allergies", Md (allergist) said it was probably becuase as a baby they cannot distinguish one allergen from another and since as adults we never (rarely) eat only 1 food for an entire 2-3 days, their little systems react to our whole meal. your ds may only be allergic to "x" but becuase it was eaten with "a" through "m" his body encoded it all as an allergy. When he gets a little older the body (and brain) learn how to seperate and distinguish - so there may be light at the end of the tunnel. For more specific info, PM me.

AMOTHER: there is a lot of of us, but I don't think it's sad. A lot perplexing and even a little bewildering, but it is the nissayon we have (I look at it that way and it doen't bother me quite as much). truth be told, I find the sensitivities worse than the allergies. On some level I find other people (schools, friends, etc...) more accepting of allergy but becuase sensitivity is so vague and irregular, they don't quite get it.

In general, here are some of the tricks I have picked up over the years:

1 - always double "safe" recipes. that way on bad days or short on time day you don't have to worry about having supper

2 - always have at least 2 "safe", ready to eat foods on hand (for us it's spelt crackers, american cheese, rice pasta and apples

3 - don't be shy about disclosing the FULL list when invited out (or having meals made). I used to do that feeling that we would never get invited out and would always have to fend for myself, but people were really insulted I didn't give them a fair shot. So now I write out teh whole list and either email it or print it out for people and let them know that I understand if it's too overwhleming and/or I what I am prepared to bring to help (eg. I almost always bring challah for my kids as egg-free is virtually impossible, and a dessert or nosh)

Ok, I will leave it to 3 fdor now.

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics