Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
When did your struggling child learn to read a book

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:03 pm
My daughter is in first grade and reading is not coming easy to put it mildly. I can not wait for the day where she can pick up a real book, even a very beginner one like hop on pop and read it out loud from start to finish with minimal mistakes. When was your kid able to do that. Between actual academic issues and plenty of focus issues im dreaming we will get to that point at the end of this school year...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:18 pm
With tremendous struggling dd was finally able to pick up a book on her own at the end of 4th grade. Until then there were lots of tears ...eventually they figure it out. Even those who struggle and are weak readers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:26 pm
Was she in a mainstream school. If yes, how did she function? Right now dd is in a regular school with support. I was not advised to pull her out but I really just want to see her reading.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:37 pm
first grade is young to read independently.

The most important thing you can do is read aloud to her.

Also "buddy read" an easy reader: you read one page, I'll read one page.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:40 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
first grade is young to read independently.

The most important thing you can do is read aloud to her.

Also "buddy read" an easy reader: you read one page, I'll read one page.

I don't mean sitting on the couch and reading by herself. I mean capable of reading a book a super easy short book out loud next to me.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:43 pm
If you PM me I will email you a list of phonic sounds so you can test if your DD knows them.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:50 pm
I have not been in this parsha myself, so feel free to disregard, but as I watched my kids be taught to read, I went through a minor obsession with the general subject of learning to read and teaching reading and did a lot of reading about it.

Some children struggle with reading because they aren't taught the building blocks of reading systematically: phonemic awareness, sound-letter correspondence, blending, letter combinations, and so on, moving on to more complicated concepts as simpler ones are mastered. In systematic instruction, children will be instructed in phonemic awareness and phonics, be given only phonetic readers at first (books which only contain words pronounced according to the most common pronunciation of the letters), at progressive levels of difficulty, and only later be given "regular" children's books. Many schools consider this approach too boring and believe it will make children disinterested in reading. So instead they teach reading in a more "balanced" or "holistic" way that encourages children to "read" leveled books which contain words the children don't know how to actually read using tricks such as guessing the words based on the pictures. A large percentage of children, anywhere from 40-60% IIRC, will pick up reading skills even when they are taught this way. But another large percentage needs to be taught very explicitly, step by step. If your school is not teaching the basic building blocks systematically and explicitly, then you may need to do so yourself or hire a tutor. A lot of people recommend the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons," although I have not used it myself.

Some children will struggle even in a school that provides explicit systematic instruction because they simply need many more repetitions than average to master each step. So much repetition that it's not realistic for the school to provide it in the limited class time. In that case, repetition outside school will be required.

You also mentioned focus issues and academic issues. I don't know if you were referring to diagnoses that your child has, or just minor difficulties, but obviously very special accommodations may be required for a particular diagnosis.

You may find the following articles interesting and helpful.

https://www.apmreports.org/sto.....right

https://www.apmreports.org/epi.....ading

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 1:54 pm
My son didn't even understand what the words on the page meant when he was in first grade. That the letters were linked to sounds that formed words. And 3 written words meant 3 spoken words. He could read nothing. Not one word.

He then went to a special ed school for elementary school. We are now years past all of this, in a regular high school. Where, with support, he is getting As and Bs.

He is a smart boy who processes slowly, who needs to ask many questions, who needs patience and encouragement.

We persevered, we prayed, and we never gave up. And he is succeeding as a result.

Hatzlacha.

(By the beginning of third grade he was reading Harry Potter, fyi)

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 2:10 pm
I agree with Royal Blue.

It could be your child is not receiving enough explicit phonics instruction in school.

I haven't use these by they are popular: Book: The Reading Lesson.

Also the Hooked on Phonics books.

There is a FREE phonics website online: starfall.com

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 2:42 pm
How’s her memory?

There’s a focus on learning to read phonetically, the purpose of this is actually to teach spelling at the same time.

If her memory is ok, teach her the first 100 high frequency words. Use fun short games.

Do a 1 minute working memory activity, followed by a 5 minute game using multi sensory aids.

Spelling can then be taught at a later date.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 2:44 pm
I struggled to read as well - only really started during 2nd grade with assistance of a great teacher.
Perhaps phonics is not the way to go - explore different ways. I was successful with learning via sight words.
(I do still struggle with saying words correctly and Hebrew but I do appreciate what I can do)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 4:42 pm
I taught my then 8 year old how to read mainly through sight words. He wasn't reading even 1 word. I told him to start, that he doesn't need to know a thing, and that I will tell him the words. He felt comfortable and slowly picked it up. I thdn did phonics for a while. He has ADHD and possibly a reading disorder. Today he is 10 and will pick up a magazine and read a few sentences, unprompted. I did a ton of rewards (100s of dollars)

mom!

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 6:55 pm
You may want to have him/her read a book to a younger sibling. (Hint: baby books they practically know by heart). This will build his/her confidence in reading and enable the child to move to their own age level books on their own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics