Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone else dislike silverpieces?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:19 pm
I freaking hate silver!!!!! I don’t like the look, I don’t like the maintenance it requires, and I definitely don’t like the price tag.
People look at me so weirdly when I say this.
In my community silver is a huge thing and most people have entire china closets full of silver pieces.
I just have a becher, the candlesticks and a menorah and just those three manage to irritate the guts out of me.
Who’s with me here?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:20 pm
I hate polishing them.

real

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:21 pm
Me!! I hate silver also! Soo much work to
Keep it shiny- not worth it to me.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:24 pm
My husband polished it all so I love it!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:28 pm
Me! I’m with you! Only candlesticks and a menorah, and we have a glass becher. We donated the silver one. It ain’t the Midieval Era. C’mon.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Me! I’m with you! Only candlesticks and a menorah, and we have a glass becher. We donated the silver one. It ain’t the Midieval Era. C’mon.

I wish my husband would agree to that!! There are so many nice metal menorahs or whatever, the silver one is SUCH a pain.

Malkqueen

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:39 pm
You can lacquer silver which locks in the shine so you don't have to polish it. It lasts a good number of years before it has to be re-lacquered.

Doesn't help with the dislike of silver, but can help from the practical maintenence end of it.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:44 pm
I’m with you. When I got engaged I had an enormous fight with my mom that I didn’t want my grandmother’s silverware. 25 years later, I’m still not sorry (even though she said I would be).

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:50 pm
I don't really like drinking out of it; you can taste the metal. And polishing is a pain. It's important to dh to have it, but even he won't drink out of it if the wine has to sit in it. So on Pesach he uses glass.

We actually don't have much. Candlesticks, bechers, one menorah. We have a lot of glass an ceramic, including things we made at Glassworks and pottery painting. So my breakfront makes me happy, and is colorful.

ETA ds doesn't even like to eat with metal silverware because of the taste. He only uses plastic.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:53 pm
Me. My mother. My MIL. We all prefer crystal or other materials over silver.
DH doesn’t even drink from his silver becher. He prefers a glass becher we got in Amazing Savings.
The only thing I like is his menorah. But I keep it hidden away all year and it’s not on display.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:55 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I don't really like drinking out of it; you can taste the metal. And polishing is a pain. It's important to dh to have it, but even he won't drink out of it if the wine has to sit in it. So on Pesach he uses glass.

We actually don't have much. Candlesticks, bechers, one menorah. We have a lot of glass an ceramic, including things we made at Glassworks and pottery painting. So my breakfront makes me happy, and is colorful.

ETA ds doesn't even like to eat with metal silverware because of the taste. He only uses plastic.

Our houshold has the same meshugas and would rather eat with plastic cutlery because we don’t like the metalic feel or taste of ordinary cutlery.

Malkqueen

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Bechers generally come with gold plating inside, because while silver gives a metallic taste when drinking, gold does not. The gold wears away with time, though, and that's when you start feeling the metallic taste. I assume a silver store can tell you where you can get the gold layer redone or touched up.

itsmeima

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 8:58 pm
Me too! I dislike the look of silver 🤦🏻‍♀️

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:26 pm
Omg I thought that I'm the only one that doesn't like silver. Although I don't hate it, I dont see the point of it since it takes so much time and effort to maintain it.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:44 pm
metooithinkit’ssougly

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:48 pm
I was at a friend's for Shabbos once, and they had a breakfront FULL of gleaming silver. I made a comment about how hard it must be to keep everything polished. She said "Nope! I use silver strips in my cabinets, and I haven't polished anything in years."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....0cnVl

You just tuck them in and around things you want to preserve, and as long as they are inside the cabinet they will stay perfectly shiny.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 10:49 pm
I dislike silver too. The becher you need to hand polish but the rest give in for long term treatment to not tarnish. I slso have bare minimum, I prefer other materials because of the look.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:08 pm
I don't like the breakfront full of silver, and I absolutely despise those "pisher" kiddush cups where you pour and then spouts lead off into smaller cups. But everyone is entitled to their own taste.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:30 pm
We have a gorgeous crystal menorah! Everyone who sees it gushes over it.
But now DH says he wants to buy a silver one even thought the crystal one is prettier since everyone else has silver Can't Believe It

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:16 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I was at a friend's for Shabbos once, and they had a breakfront FULL of gleaming silver. I made a comment about how hard it must be to keep everything polished. She said "Nope! I use silver strips in my cabinets, and I haven't polished anything in years."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....0cnVl

You just tuck them in and around things you want to preserve, and as long as they are inside the cabinet they will stay perfectly shiny.

They've never worked for me.

My mother (a"h) would love all of you. Like most women of her era, she had quite a bit of silver, well, silver plate, we weren't wealthy -- a coffee/tea set that sat on her tea cart. Until she boxed it up and placed it on a shelf in the garage, declaring that she was NOT polishing that thing. It traveled to a shelf in their laundry room when they moved into an apartment. I'm not quite sure how I wound up with it. I'd hate to throw it out, but its not worth anything, and its really not my thing. I sadly lack a garage or laundry room.

DH could not possibly care less about his menorah, or becher, candelsticks, or anything else decorative. I'm pretty sure that he used a menorah from the 5-and-dime before we married. We light 2 brass candlesticks that were an engagement gift to my maternal grandmother, a 3rd that someone gave her because they lost the other one and it looked like hers, a 4th, tiny one that belonged to my paternal grandparents and was forgotten when my uncle ransacked their apartment and took everything of value, and 2 more that my parents swear were my maternal grandparents, but I know weren't because I already had theirs by time they gave them to me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics