Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How will it be determined if schools close?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:52 am
This is a NY (not NYC) question.
What is the current criteria to determine if a school or district needs to close?
Is it the positivity rate in the town (which cannot be found online)? In the county? In the "microcluster" (don't even know what that is)? is it the number of cases in the school building?
I am trying to figure out if I will be back at work on Monday.
I am also trying to deal with my highly increased Corona anxiety. The numbers in my town for this past week or so are TERRIBLE. Someone I know who is careful still got sick. I am so nervous.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:09 am
It’s really a mood of Cuomo and De Blasio/

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:11 am
Apparently Biden's education cabinet pick is against school closings so I don't know how much longer it will be Cuomo's decision.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:16 am
southernbubby wrote:
Apparently Biden's education cabinet pick is against school closings so I don't know how much longer it will be Cuomo's decision.

The governor in NY has more power than the president.
He’s actually the most powerful man in the country.
No term limits and can never be impeached.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:42 am
southernbubby wrote:

School closures in a state have nothing to do with the president, it's the governors decision. Trump is also against school closures. A governor has more power than a president in a way.

sweetdimples

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
The governor in NY has more power than the president.
He’s actually the most powerful man in the country.
No term limits and can never be impeached.

say what???? governors can definitely be prosecuted and impeached if circumstances determine so. Do you remember the Elliot Spitzer scandal? granted he resigned before being forcibly removed from office, but any politician, government official is most certainly NOT above the law...

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:06 am
I think it will be managed locally and many schools, if they are honest about covid cases and contact quarantining, will be closed even district wide due to insufficient staffing.

Private schools would be generally only be beholden to the state for closures. But again, if they are honest they are probably understaffed.

Alternatively we will see the Xmas and NYE numbers, the former of which will start showing up probably today. And there will be a big hammer dropped.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:13 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I think it will be managed locally and many schools, if they are honest about covid cases and contact quarantining, will be closed even district wide due to insufficient staffing.

Private schools would be generally only be beholden to the state for closures. But again, if they are honest they are probably understaffed.

Alternatively we will see the Xmas and NYE numbers, the former of which will start showing up probably today. And there will be a big hammer dropped.

Thank you for your helpful, non political answer.
There was some, though not rampant dishonesty after Thanksgiving. The staffing piece is huge but my colleagues are a little too helpful with covering their colleagues' classes...on the one hand it kept school open but on the other hand if there are that many positive cases I'd rather we were all home.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:21 am
Amother, I'm on anxiety high, too.
But school closures won't happen soon. Cuomo even bet on it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:43 am
Don't bother trying to figure this out. In ny, there is currently no rhyme or reason to this. Its all dependent on coumos politics and mood. Back in September, there were approx 1000 cases and almost no deaths and sections of Brooklyn were designated as red zones, schools and businesses closed and kids w r e harassed and followed on the streets to see where they're going.

Fast forward 2 months to now, daily numbers are between 10,000 to 12,000, deaths between 100 and 150 daily and....nothing. suddenly, there's no danger to anyone......

I, personally, do know pe op le who are seriously sick and are suffering very severe health issues from covid19. I believe we should be masking properly and sd while keeping schools and businesses open.

Howe, our govt has botched things up so badly, has so totally mismanaged this pandemic here in nyc, that mo one can be expected to take them seriously. This type of leadership, itself, is probably the single most important cause for noncompliance which has caused so much deaths and illness here. Its all on cuoumos head...

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:47 am
There are plenty of parents who choose to keep their kids home to err on the side of caution. Schools are good about respecting this, and not penalizing the families making that choice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics