Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone else dislike silverpieces?
Previous  1  2

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:32 pm
Yes! Crystal or glass all the way.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 9:39 pm
Well your in luck op. There outdated

yksraya

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 10:33 pm
I dislike silver too, but only because it needs constant polishing. I even cashed some candy dishes, napkin holder etc, and an old becher, and bought a new becher (had to add money of course). We got them as gifts when we got married. Ends up we both prefer crystal, so those were extras that were just a pain.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:16 pm
I got very beautiful candlesticks as a kallah. And I love the becher and menorah I bought dh. Aside from those three items I have no use for silver.

I never use my silver napkin holders, honey dishes, or candy dishes.

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 11:44 pm
Anything pretty that causes me more work is definitely not for me. I guess if I had the budget to have a lot of cleaning help to polish them I might feel differently but I doubt it. None of my family owns silver either. Just not our thing.

Fave

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:01 am
yksraya wrote:
I dislike silver too, but only because it needs constant polishing. I even cashed some candy dishes, napkin holder etc, and an old becher, and bought a new becher (had to add money of course). We got them as gifts when we got married. Ends up we both prefer crystal, so those were extras that were just a pain.

Where can I cash in silver pieces (in Brooklyn)?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I was at a friend's for Shabbos once, and they had a breakfront FULL of gleaming silver. I made a comment about how hard it must be to keep everything polished. She said "Nope! I use silver strips in my cabinets, and I haven't polished anything in years."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....0cnVl

You just tuck them in and around things you want to preserve, and as long as they are inside the cabinet they will stay perfectly shiny.

Thanks I ordered it. I cant believe I never heard about this. The only way I was able to keep my silver from tarnishing is storing it in plastic bags. This seems like a much better option.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:28 am
I have silver shabbos candlesticks and they look pretty but I haaaate polishing them wish we had those pretty crystal or glass ones

It’s a pain

watergirl

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:32 am
All we have is a silver becher. When we got married, I was still using the candlesticks I got for my first marriage (metal) and I was constantly so sad I didn't have real silver ones... until about 11 years after we got married, I saw a gorgeous set of crystal ones with crystal “diamonds” inside. It was just about $150! And later we got the matching menorah (and my husband finally sold the silver menorah he got for his first marriage). I am so much happier with what I have and thrilled I found this. Its so much more me than silver. And easy to clean!

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:54 am
Not a fan of silver, although I like the candlesticks I got when I got married. We have that and a becher, thats it. No menorah, my husband doesn't want one. I never wanted a silver candalabra some people get when they light more candles.

Just heavy and ugly and old fashioned looking. Hate the whole silver cabinet thing.

s c

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:54 am
Me too. I think wine doesnt taste right from a becher and its a pain to polish. After many years of marriage I switched to a crystal candelabra and I think it looks gorgeous. I spent a long time deliberating because it almost felt wrong not to use silver. Am so glad I did.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I was at a friend's for Shabbos once, and they had a breakfront FULL of gleaming silver. I made a comment about how hard it must be to keep everything polished. She said "Nope! I use silver strips in my cabinets, and I haven't polished anything in years."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000.....0cnVl

You just tuck them in and around things you want to preserve, and as long as they are inside the cabinet they will stay perfectly shiny.

These never worked for me. My silver always looks gold. Can't Believe It

Mommyto1

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 8:44 am
the pieces I use once a year, like the Menorah, esrog box... I wrap tightly in saran wrap after cleaning, I only need to clean it once a year and you can barely see it's wrapped in anything.

funkyfrummom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 12:40 pm
Crystal candlesticks here. Silver plate menorah.

I actually LOVE silver. I think white-silver color of sterling is stunning, and I like that it is a precious metal and therefore can be an asset.

What I hate, though, is the styling of contemporary fine/silver Judaica. It all kinda looks alike. Everything has lots of fancy or baroque touches, rosettes and such, or sometimes it is the other intricate style (not sure what it is called, possibly considered Moroccan?) So style, for me, is more the issue with silver pieces. The style of my furnishings/apartment is more contemporary than traditional (but not necessarily modern either).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics