Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Can you use pastrami in cholent??

lk1234

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:15 pm
I have a chunk of pastrami. It looks like deli. It was in one of the free lakewood food boxes this week. Can I use it instead of flanken for cholent? Do I take out of plastic?

2qtees

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:21 pm
I have never tried it in cholent. I was told that the flavor will take over the entire cholent.

The way I have cooked it:
remove the pastrami from the plastic. Place it in a pan with 2 inches of water. cook it at 225 overnight. It will be soft and is served hot. My husband and children love it.

Malkqueen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:24 pm
I once used pastrami in cholent when the grocery was out of flanken.
Unless you are a very avid fan of pastrami, don't try it. The cholent doesn't taste like cholent anymore, it tastes like pastrami flavored beans amd pastrami flavored potatoes and pastrami flavored kishke.
And the smell!!!!!! 🙀

Blessing1

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:24 pm
I cook it in the chalont but leave it in the plastic.
The chalont tastes awful if you take it out of the plastic.

shmosmom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:28 pm
I would put it with the plastic into the chulent. You still need to put meat in your chulent (if you want meat flavor) this is just a nice additional side dish.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:37 pm
My mom does it all the time. Takes it out of plastic and puts it in even without extra spice or marinade. And it is absolutely delicious.

blueberry6

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:40 pm
I don't know, I just did it a couple of weeks ago and the cholent tasted fine - maybe just with a hint of something extra? I took it out of the plastic and wrapped it in parchment paper, just to make sure it didn't fall apart, and it was delicious. It wasn't so much pastrami, though, so maybe that's why the flavor didn't take over the cholent.
Tbh I kind of don't like the idea of plastic in my cholent anyway Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus