Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me understand what happened.
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:00 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Wow. The more I know. I personally have a reduced appetite, but I was raised to eat everything on my plate if I wanted to get better, LOL.
my mum gave me chicken soup! And yes....yes....non Jews give chicken soup too...and I’d only eat a bit more than half the plate.
But eating mamash nothing but drops from a baby turning toddler? (I wasn’t sure which forum to post this in, in babies or toddlers...)
It’s terrifying to see. I guess it’s a first mommy thing. 🙈🙈🙈

It's normal for babies and toddler not to eat when they feel sick, the main thing is to keep them hydrated.

My daughter had a terrible bout of flu last year and hardly ate anything for four days, and she was almost 4. I was extremely worried, and spoke to more than one doctor, and they all said that the main thing is to make sure she's drinking. As long as he's getting fluids, it's fine.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:00 pm
My husband said he doesn’t think he’s frum or even Jewish because “he’s not in our place he doesn’t go to shul or has to daven or learn or keep Shabbos.” (THOSE ARE MY HUSBANDS WORDS NOT MINE.)

My husband thinks anyone with a kippa is frum. No kippa=not frum.

Doctor didn’t have a kippa on and he basically attacked us for not bringing my son in on Erev shabbos or Shabbos because....we were actually keeping Shabbos! We couldn’t really drop in when the office is actually closed. But we did our best to take care of my son we gave him pedialyte and Motrin and Tylenol and a little chicken soup water (my husband gave him carrots, and he threw that up earlier) and other soft bland foods not ignoring his fever like those parents with the kid with the 105 fever...

I’m just saying that that doctor made me feel like a bad mother that’s all Sad

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:03 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
So yesterday (Sunday) he was pretty himself the first half of the day and then he looked under the weather again :/

We took him to the doctor
And they said he has strep again

We got such a yelling from him... I felt horrible :/
Only thing I can say now is that I wish we took him in motzai shabbos instead of Sunday 7pm after we got out of work

The doctor told us of a child who had a fever of 105 and then that child ended up seizing (the parents didn’t give him anything!) but the child turned out fine in the end.

It was scary to hear...but I did feel horrible we waited that long. But my son was having days and hours where he seemed almost normal!

I thought it was that he ate something bad Thursday afternoon:/
Then Friday and Saturday was shabbos obviously we couldn’t go to the doctor
And Saturday night he was nearly normal!
But Sunday afternoon he started looking sick again:(

Sorry for getting off topic that doctor made me feel like a poopy mother. I know he had good intentions, maybe, to make us more aware...

My husband said he doesn’t have our frum life, he doesn’t know how we gave him Tylenol or Motrin and pedialyte.
I guess he was offended too but he doesnt take things to heart like I do.

😔😩😭

The doctor was probably stressed out and shouldn't have yelled at you. Your baby didn't have 105 fever so there's no reason to panic. You did just fine and after a day or two of antibiotics your baby will be fine too. Just finish the antibiotics even once he's feeling better.
This is your first child, every single one of these situations are so stressful with your first. But you'll grow into it and you'll develop a sense of when you need a doctor and when you don't and everything will be much easier.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:10 pm
If the doctor actually yelled at you then I would find a new doctor. I don't tolerate disrespect from a pediatrician and I don't see how you can respect a doctor who treats you that way.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:13 pm
Thanks. He was very upset when my husband said “he felt hot” instead of measuring the temperature (and all the thermometers are digital! I’m nervous about those Mercury ones and I wouldn’t use it) and that what set him off.

Yes there’s a difference between a little fever and a big fever and there’s no such thing as “a fever” because you need the actual measurement to determine what’s a fever or not. :/
But
I did measure but it was quite low! (99.2 was the highest) and I even told him my son had on and off for hours at a time where he felt normal which meant the medicine was working.
But nope....those words were directed to my husband but that doctor was facing me
As a person with hearing loss having people facing me when speaking means they’re talking to me!

My mum says I should switch, that doctor was out of line to blame us she said :/

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:16 pm
But today, my son is still having diarrhea. I brought a new bottle of pedialyte (since the other was finished) and I’ve been giving him that and bananas. I plan to make plain pasta so hopefully he takes it and helps with the diarrhea. He didn’t throw up tho, so I guess it’s a good sign

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:18 pm
Again, he should not have yelled at you. However it's important to know for the future that you should be checking the actual temperature regularly when he feels warm. Either use a digital thermometer or a mercury thermometer, it's doesn't really matter as long as you use it correctly they're both safe. But you do need to know how high his temperature is, and for that you need a thermometer.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:19 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
But today, my son is still having diarrhea. I brought a new bottle of pedialyte (since the other was finished) and I’ve been giving him that and bananas. I plan to make plain pasta so hopefully he takes it and helps with the diarrhea. He didn’t throw up tho, so I guess it’s a good sign

If he has strep than the antibiotics are what he really needs to settle his stomach. Pedialyte is good to prevent dehydration meanwhile.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:19 pm
We do have thermometers but we can use it on shabbos?

ETA I asked my Rav.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 3:22 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Rice is good for the diarrhea.

Don't worry you didn't wait so long. I usually give my kid two days before we go to the doctor. If it's regular virus it will run its course. Usually they're fine after two days. If they're not we go to the doctor.

My doctor is ok with this.

snowflake1

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 8:30 pm
It’s interesting that he treated him for strep as he is under two years old usually they don’t treat for strep under that age
One time a doctor that was covering put my daughter on antibiotics for an ear infection and it ended up being a stomach virus and the antibiotics just made it worse

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:17 pm
Whoa for real??
He did a throat swab on my son and that’s how we got that positive :/

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:26 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
It’s interesting that he treated him for strep as he is under two years old usually they don’t treat for strep under that age
One time a doctor that was covering put my daughter on antibiotics for an ear infection and it ended up being a stomach virus and the antibiotics just made it worse

If the strep test was positive, and the child is having such severe symptoms from the strep, the strep should be treated with antibiotics.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 9:39 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Whoa for real??
He did a throat swab on my son and that’s how we got that positive :/

Not exactly. They don't usually swab for strep at that age unless there's a reason to suspect it. Obviously your doctor had a reason to suspect it, and it's good he did because clearly your child is suffering from it.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Dec 28 2020, 10:07 pm
Okay

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Dec 29 2020, 2:52 pm
Breaking out in a cold sweat is a sure sign I'm about to throw up. Maybe it was something similar

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:14 pm
My kid had a seizure with a much lower fever.. After that we where told to treat any fever right away
There are urgent cares that are open Erev Shabbos. I myself ended up taking a kid to the emergency room on Shabbos for a stomach virus years ago. I called the dr on Shabbos. He (a frum guy) said that if the baby dosn't have a wet pamper for 8 hours to go to the hospital so they can get iv fluids. (she kept throwing up everything, even just spoonfuls of Pedialyte)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:11 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
We do have thermometers but we can use it on shabbos?

ETA I asked my Rav.

Hashem_n_Farfel, this is a manual thermometer allowed on shabbos. It has no mercury (those are illegal).
https://www.amazon.com/Gerathe.....r=8-3
This green one is oral for under the tongue.
They have the rectal one in red.
Your local pharmacy should have them.
Practice using them during the week because it takes time to figure out how to read them.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics