Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Stopping keeping chalav yisroel?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:21 pm
Generally speaking if one was to stop keeping chalav and pas yisroel does one need to annul the vow or anything? If so how is that done? And no we did not undertake CY pas yisroel uninformed, so if it was a vow it wasn't in error or misinformed. I know it's a question for a rav but just trying to make sense of this possible issue.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:46 pm
I was matir neder on cholov yisroel. Definitely kedai to speak to a Rav about it. Hatzlocha!

Anon bc I have discussed this IRL.

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 6:52 pm
Yes- you should speak to a Rav to be matir neder.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:08 pm
How is it done? Did dh do it for the family?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:34 pm
I did the annulment of the vow for myself and my little child, in front of 3 men. I called the rav to do it.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Generally speaking if one was to stop keeping chalav and pas yisroel does one need to annul the vow or anything? If so how is that done? And no we did not undertake CY pas yisroel uninformed, so if it was a vow it wasn't in error or misinformed. I know it's a question for a rav but just trying to make sense of this possible issue.

I’m just wondering why a whole family would suddenly stop.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Many reasons. Maybe they moved somewhere where it's much much harder. Maybe the parents are ok with it, but the kids are having a really hard time. Maybe there are medical or dietary needs.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:38 pm
One reason to stop can be because non chalav Yisrael is so much cheaper!

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I was matir neder on cholov yisroel. Definitely kedai to speak to a Rav about it. Hatzlocha!

Anon bc I have discussed this IRL.

My DH was matir neder as per his rav’s instruction.

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:40 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Maybe they moved to a place where it’s not widely available.
Maybe they only kept it out respect for a relative -and the relative passed away.
Or maybe they just don’t want to keep that minhag anymore.

There could be many reasons.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 12:07 am
Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I need to speak to a mashpia about this, but yes there are reasons why keeping CY in such a far flung place is difficult for my family's current situation.

amother
White

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:13 am
When my son took on CY, his Rebbe told him not to make a neder on it. In case hes ever in a situation where there is no other option. So my son did it that way. It's been over 10 years and I don't think hes ever not eaten CY. I wonder if, after all this time, what would be if he wanted/needed to stop?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:15 am
I grew up in a place where chalsv Yisroel milk came in once a month. People who were makpid ordered in bulk and froze and got cheese every few months.

Most people didn't do this. It's way too far fetched.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:41 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
One reason to stop can be because non chalav Yisrael is so much cheaper!

I don't think that a rav would take this is a valid reason to stop keeping CY, unless you are actually really destitute. Just a heads up.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I don't think that a rav would take this is a valid reason to stop keeping CY, unless you are actually really destitute. Just a heads up.

I'm not a Rav, but I honestly don't see why it's not a valid reason for an average family. After all, if food is kosher, it is kosher. If I don't want to do an extra chumra anymore, and saving the extra money matters to me (that I can put toward other of the myriad expenses involved in raising a family or even to tzedakah for argument's sake), I think it's a valid reason.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 12:56 pm
I'm not a Rav, but I honestly don't see why it's not a valid reason for an average family. After all, if food is kosher, it is kosher. If I don't want to do an extra chumra anymore, and saving the extra money matters to me (that I can put toward other of the myriad expenses involved in raising a family or even to tzedakah for argument's sake), I think it's a valid reason.

Cholov Yisroel is not a chumrah. It's the halacha. Chalav Stam is a leniency.

By eating Cholov Yisroel you are not keeping a chumrah but rather not relying on a leniency that was really created for specific reasons.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 2:15 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Cholov Yisroel is not a chumrah. It's the halacha. Chalav Stam is a leniency.

By eating Cholov Yisroel you are not keeping a chumrah but rather not relying on a leniency that was really created for specific reasons.

But when people undertake only eating chalav yisrael when they were not doing that before, you are saying that is not considered undertaking a chumrah, but just doing the halacha where as before they relied on a leniency. If that is the case, how would hataras nedarim help if it's not considered a chumra?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 2:31 pm
I did hataras nedarim for chalav yisroel. My dh had always eaten cholov stam out of the house so he didn't have to be matir neder. we did it when we moved. we were at a delicious cholov stam meal right before we left but I was told not to do hataras nedarim until I moved OOT so I couldn't eat some of the food. the logic being that I can say if I knew I was going to move OOT I wouldn't have taken it upon myself. It seems like it's not a simple matter.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 2:37 pm

As LovesHashem mentioned, CY is halacha and CS is a leniency. A rav is more likely to tell you to drop PY (stringency) before taking on CS (leniency). Also, with the amount of non-dairy products available in today's market, there are more options than just dropping CY outright. Just saying, things like health or shalom bayis might be better "arguing" points.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:16 pm
But when people undertake only eating chalav yisrael when they were not doing that before, you are saying that is not considered undertaking a chumrah, but just doing the halacha where as before they relied on a leniency. If that is the case, how would hataras nedarim help if it's not considered a chumra?

Uh yeah. You only need to do hataras nedarim if you are starting to eat cholov Stam.

Also not sure why I got the hug. Ask any man this is like basic halacha. It's sad that it's so twisted and misunderstood.

Even for things that are chumras if you are adding and not taking away from your observance why would you need to do an annulment of vows?

And I grew up eating cholov Stam because I grew up in one of those places that got cholov Yisroel milk once every couple weeks. And rarely got cheese or anything else in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions