Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What do you cook when...

see

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:23 am
What do you cook when you have to feed a child who is kvetching and wants food right now, so even two minutes of cook or prep time is too long?

mizle10

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:25 am
The child gets a healthy snack while I prepare a quick supper. Fruit, cheese, yogurt, applesauce...

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 7:25 am
It's not really cooking...but fruit? yogurt? cereal? PB sandwich? Obviously you can't literally cook something that quickly.

Alternatively, you have leftovers like kugel in the fridge that can be eaten cold.

mom!

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:10 am
For that type of child (who most probably is also extremely picky and only eats a handful of foods) I always had to be a meal ahead of him. I had to catch him at the right moment. I left prepared things in the fridge.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:17 am
mom! wrote:
For that type of child (who most probably is also extremely picky and only eats a handful of foods) I always had to be a meal ahead of him. I had to catch him at the right moment. I left prepared things in the fridge.

This is so smart. It's always best if you have snacks ready before their blood sugar tanks and they get cranky.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of whining. Wink

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 4:00 pm
As a child when this happened to me, I was offered orange juice for my blood sugar and then I was able to stop crying and wait a few minutes for a snack.
You can cook eggs in 2 minutes

DVOM

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 4:08 pm
I learned to love the microwave for my all-of-a-sudden-im-so-starving-I-think-I-might-die son.

Microwave popcorn, pizza, fish sticks, hot pretzels, knishes, broccoli kugal, cubed butternut squash...

daisy

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 4:10 pm
Instant oatmeal

emzod42

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 5:02 pm
I try to start them on healthy snacks or a healthy part of dinner, ideally. I often have leftover roasted veggies or steamed frozen peas in the fridge, so they snack on those cold. That way even if they're filling up on it they had something nutritious.

voiceofreason

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 1:55 am
I keep portion containers of soups + mashed potatoes in the freezer. They microwave in under 2 min.

teachkids

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:12 am
Bowl of oatmeal, a yogurt, hard boiled egg from my fridge, microwaved egg

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:20 am
Depending on what the picky kid would eat...
Either-
Scrambled eggs
Grilled cheese
Cereal and milk
Yogurt
Toast
Instant noodle soup

These are some things that are filling and take less than 2 minutes to prepare. It’s some of the things my picky kids would eat.
I don’t use a microwave but I’m sure you would have even more options with a microwave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus