Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Sitting on a jury (law & order)

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 11:05 pm
I was watching a law & order (season 13, episode 11, chosen) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629205/)

And the defendant was a Jewish guy on trial for murder. His lawyer stacked the jury with jews and argued politics to try to get the guy off.

But it makes me think... Would there be a halachic issue to sit on a jury if the defendant is Jewish?

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:08 am
AYLOR.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:21 am
I realize it is an AYLOR situation. But what if you didn't know the guy was Jewish till the middle of the trial... Or what if it wasn't a death sentence case.... I was just interested in a discussion about possible halachic issues.

Redbird

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:25 am
This is what I've always wondered about. If you're actually a juror don't you have to not talk to anybody about a case? You have to decide on your own and not AYLOR.

Even if it wasn't a Jewish person, I would not feel right making such a heavy ethical decision such as a life or death sentence, without guidance.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:34 am
Actually.. yes. I remember being really afraid when I got jury duty as like a 20 year old. Bc I was like if it's a heavy duty life and death case I don't think I have enough life experience for that

But on the show they did depict questions like "Is there any reason you could not give out a maximum sentence in this case"

So I guess if you did not feel comfortable being responsible you could always answer that in the negative

fleetwood

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 9:52 am
How would you know the religion of the defendant?

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 10:01 am
fleetwood wrote:
How would you know the religion of the defendant?

In this episode it came up in the middle of the trial.

But sometimes it might be obvious.. although I know some people with the last name choen who aren't Jewish.... So....

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:13 pm
singleagain wrote:
I was watching a law & order (season 13, episode 11, chosen) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629205/)

And the defendant was a Jewish guy on trial for murder. His lawyer stacked the jury with jews and argued politics to try to get the guy off.

But it makes me think... Would there be a halachic issue to sit on a jury if the defendant is Jewish?

sounds like anti-semtitism....to present jews like that...
kind of reminds me of higgins in oliver...
of course higgins was JEWISH!!
Why not make the defendant russian and the lawyer stacks the jury with russians????
it's so subtle you can't even call it out...
but it's there.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
sounds like anti-semtitism....to present jews like that...
kind of reminds me of higgins in oliver...
of course higgins was JEWISH!!
Why not make the defendant russian and the lawyer stacks the jury with russians????
it's so subtle you can't even call it out...
but it's there.

trust me the show shows Russians in a bad light also. okay It's 20 years of law and order and law & order SVU has also got 22 years

There's a chance to show everyone in a bad light. And everyone does get you on in a bad light because bad people are not limited to anyone group.

Besides in that episode

Hidden: 

he was guilty

I wasn't asking about the episode I was asking about the halachic issues that the episode brought to my mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions