Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Angel names

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:35 pm
How do you explain the fact that the angel names are popular? (Michael, refael, gavriel, etc). Isn’t it weird to use an angels name? Are these names chosen for some other reason? Just wondering where the origin of using these names as kids name has started, appreciate any input!

paperflowers

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 10:40 pm
That’s actually a great question. I never thought about it before. I have no answer but now I’m curious!

salt

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:09 am
Because they have nice meanings, sound nice, and what's better than giving the same name as an angel for your 'little angel'?

People give all sorts of names, names of animals, flowers, descriptions of happiness and other characteristics, so why the question just about names of angels?

They are beautiful names.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 4:12 am
Do people use their names with the intention of giving the name of an angel, or because the meanings themselves are beautiful?

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:36 am
Interesting. I like religious names, and angel names are inherently that. They have beautiful meanings, really powerful energies that I would love to inspire my child with.

DH thinks it's weird bordering on sacrilegious to use an angels name. So we don't.

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:37 am
Teomima wrote:
Do people use their names with the intention of giving the name of an angel, or because the meanings themselves are beautiful?

Well put. I'm definitely the latter, but DH cant look past the former.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:11 am
Angel names are theophoric, meaning they contain the name of G-d, so that is a plus in their favor.
They also might be used in an amuletic sense - especially Michael and Refa'el who protect and heal.
Also, I suspect, the recent-ish popularity of these names has to do with their popularity in general society (due, in part to their importance in Christian theology) and the fact that they transfer well into English and other languages. It's interesting in this context that Uriel - a very popular name here in Israel in certain circles, is not really heard so much abroad maybe because it's not popular in general society.
I am sure that Kabbalah plays a part in this too but I am completely unfamiliar with that aspect.

voiceofreason

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:41 am
אם ראשונים המלאכים, אנו כבני אדם
So Avraham, Yitzchak, Yaakov = Angel names too
(Lame joke)

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 5:18 am
I’m planning to name my next kid Metatron

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

whats this?

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
whats this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatron

It's a funny Very Happy

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

That's "shem saba." I prefer Metatro-el
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names