Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
We're BTs... Both grandparents don't do any Jewish songs
Previous  1  2  3

Good Friend

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 9:15 pm
More ideas for Jewish songs are "My first sing along siddur"- you can look it upon youtube. My toddlers love them.
Also- and obviously I'm suggesting this as a Lubavitcher Wink There are the 12 psukim (some are technically not psukim but sayings from holy sources past Tanach) that the Lubavitcher Rebbe encouraged kids to memorize since they are the sources for lots of key concepts in Judaism. You can Google "the 12 pesukim" or something similar to find lots of tunes for them.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:31 pm
My in laws think its adorable that I sing Jewish nursery rhymes and davening to my baby.
My mil says she never even knew these songs.

Yes FFB.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Both sets of grandparents have no interest in singing any kind of Jewish songs our 3 month old. They're not singing anything inappropriate... totally G-rated nursery rhymes like Twinkle Twinkle, Old McDonald, lots of music from Raffi, etc. It's what they sung to us and what they know. We just would prefer more Jewish content.

Thoughts? We obviously want to choose our battles and not micromanage everything with the grandparents, and only tell them what to do when it's important enough. Should we just let them do their thing? Do FFB people sing a lot of non-Jewish songs with their kids?

My mom and dad are BT and guess what these are the songs I grew up with and none of us are scarred. My parents never said anything negative about my grandparents and they always came over I loved them in my book they weren’t different then others

shanarishona

Post Wed, Dec 30 2020, 10:41 pm
There are also some good suki and ding ones like 36 classic Jewish children’s songs (vol 1 and 2)

And there’s a great classic Jewish children’s songs more geared towards babies. These are fantastic.

I don’t remember the exact names but do a google search or call a store to ask

Also what someone posted above - the link to the siddur - it’s a siddur and cd and it’s amazing.

I also love neshoma orchestra - they have an aleph Bais cd and an achat shtayim cd

voiceofreason

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 4:08 am
I grew up with nursery rhymes and fairy tales. They're wholesome and normal. I also sing the classic disney songs- circle of life, when you wish upon a star...
Your parents may know some classic israeli songs like Hava Nagila. Dudu Fisher has cute hebrew (not strictly torah) songs- HaKova Sheli, Yom Rishon, etc.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 2:39 pm
funkyfrummom wrote:
Seconding (thirding?) early Uncle Moishe.

The Modeh Ani song on Torah Island is GREAT, OP, it is kinda a combo of Modeh Ani + Old McDonald because of all the sounds you can make. (My computer won't let me cut and paste right now, but if you have YouTube access, you can put in Torah Island Modeh Ani.) My kids loved the Torah Island tape! There is also a book, at least there used to be, that is same content with all the animals etc. saying modeh ani.

Also, recommending Surie Levilev (Morah Music) as a good one to look into for songs.

Oyfn Pripetchek is pretty classic, no? I am not a yiddish speaker. I always wondered if the native yiddish speakers thought it funny when BTs use that one for a lullaby.

Native yiddish speaker here, and I sing Oyfn Pripitchick as a lullaby as well Smile So no, I don't think it's funny. I sing the songs my mother sang to me which were Yom Tov Ehrlich songs and other old Yiddish songs from back in Europe (that her mother sang to her...) So they're not Torah songs, just Yiddish. But I sing classics to my kids as well, like the wheels on the bus, Old McDonald, 5 little monkeys... which are just songs all little kids grow up to. Don't worry, OP. You're fine.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback.

We've been doing some of the English nursery rhymes, but also Jewish stuff we're doing is mostly Modeh Ani, Adon Olam, 1st paragraph of the Shema, 1st paragraph of the benching... What are good songs to do with an infant? We don't know. This is all new to us.

With corona and not socializing with people as normal, it's hard to pick up on this stuff organically. In normal times, I'd just chit chat with people at a shabbat lunch and these kinds of things would come up... or I'd observe how other people are interacting with their kids.
there are feum CD‘s with jewish music for babies. I‘ve also seen nigunim for babies

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:27 pm
Good Friend wrote:
More ideas for Jewish songs are "My first sing along siddur"- you can look it upon youtube. My toddlers love them.
Also- and obviously I'm suggesting this as a Lubavitcher Wink There are the 12 psukim (some are technically not psukim but sayings from holy sources past Tanach) that the Lubavitcher Rebbe encouraged kids to memorize since they are the sources for lots of key concepts in Judaism. You can Google "the 12 pesukim" or something similar to find lots of tunes for them.

was going to suggest just the same!
https://collive.com/12-pesukim.....load/

momonthemove

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Both sets of grandparents have no interest in singing any kind of Jewish songs our 3 month old. They're not singing anything inappropriate... totally G-rated nursery rhymes like Twinkle Twinkle, Old McDonald, lots of music from Raffi, etc. It's what they sung to us and what they know. We just would prefer more Jewish content.

Thoughts? We obviously want to choose our battles and not micromanage everything with the grandparents, and only tell them what to do when it's important enough. Should we just let them do their thing? Do FFB people sing a lot of non-Jewish songs with their kids?

PICK YOUR BATTLES! there will be many other questions and deviations from your growing up ahead and there is a learning curve for all 6 adults!
in short, please don't stress it. what you and your husband sing and daycare etc will have a huge impact focus jewish energies there.
in a few years.....

I think it is something to be mindful of as they get older, but also know your parents.
do they know or are they open to learning Jewish songs? as the kids get older they might appreciate learning something the kids hear with you/ in school, but easy for them
can try a passive approach " hey {child} loves this song,wanted to share" ( with written lyrics and an audio if possible)if it is true, they will melt for the positive feedback singing with/for your child also if they don't know Hebrew find some English (or whatever language(s) they speak) Jewish songs to have in mind.

For our family some songs I know in 2-3 languages and I try to encourage family to sing it in whatever they know, and give everyone a chance to sing something they are comfortable with and opportunity to learn. We also encourage kids to see value in the connections and sometimes have fun with the differences-- as some posters mentioned on development, my kids are a few yrs now, and like to play with songs, making up additional stanzas and using tunes from one song to make new ones, sometimes in other languges.

again pick your battles, there will be battles, but hopefully there will be mostly simcha and some compromises and lots of respect

good luck!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics