Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I really miss going to library
Previous  1  2

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 11:38 am
I feel like this thread is full of my people! I miss libraries too, even though I've done ok with ordering used books and reading e-books during the week.

We've also been swapping our used books with other folks in the neighborhood - maybe try that if you're in a whatsapp or facebook group?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 12:50 pm
When our libraries were closed I traded books with my friends. Thats what saved my sanity. I also like to read a real book in bed. And for shabbos you need real books. Im sorry op, I can't imagine going without books for so many months.

jkw

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 2:54 pm
Try book depository for "real' books to hold in your hand. Free shipping worldwide and excellent customer service!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:07 pm
The libraries closing has been one of the hardest things for me this year. I was so grateful when they reopened, first for online order/pickup, and then for browsing.

I read Elizabeth George, too. I also like Nicci French--she has a series with days of the week in the titles that have very strong development of the main character. Deborah Crombie also writes mysteries with 2 central characters and they are very British in a way that reminds me of Elizabeth George. Definitely look on thriftbooks or even ebay.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:12 pm
Thx everyone for all your suggestions.
I’ll def check them out

saralem

Post Thu, Dec 31 2020, 3:28 pm
I also loooove my library. It’s a quaint little neighborhood place where the librarians know who you are and what you like to read. They are open for pick up if you order on line. I’ve been doing that a lot. I also ordered tons of inexpensive books in the beginning of covid, as other imas have said. One of my favorites is Jacqueline Winspear’s Maisie Dobbs series. Definitely addictive. Happy reading!

erm

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:26 am
You can reserve books online and pick them up at the library.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:37 am
sigree wrote:
I miss going to the library SO much. OP, try to find a used bookstore near you. If you live in Brooklyn, I can recommend one. Although for me it’s not just the books I miss but the whole experience of spending time there and choosing the books.

I live in Brooklyn. Can u share ur recommended used bookstore?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:40 am
When all the libraries and bookshops were closed people put books in front of their house for people to take.

I miss libraries too. Especially browsing. The day I heard my city was going into lockdown the next day I rushed to the library and the bookshop and stocked up.

I have a great second hand bookshop near my house which has been open on and off and I keep stocking up.

Writers I love you may like. Warning, I like Elizabeth George but not crazily so so my taste may be a bit different.

Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell - same person but B Vine is a pen name. I like the vine books better but also enjoy the Rendell ones. I do not like the Chief inspector Wexford Series - not a fan of police in books at all - but you may like them. Her other books are all excellent, psycological mysteries.
Erin Kelly - similar to B vine books.

Liane Moriarty - different style but really enjoyed some of her books. What Alice Forgot is excellent.

I don't like ebooks but listen to a lot of audio books from my library.

Trying to think of others I like...Will post more after shabbos.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room