Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Tipping manicurist

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:22 pm
Just curious why its the norm/expected to tip manicurists/ masseuse? I look at it like this is your job and your getting paid for it. Its like you go to a store to buy something and you have to tip them for purchasing. What am I missing?

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:28 pm
Unless it's the owner, they only get a cut of the fee. Most of your payment goes to the salon owner. If tips were done away with, they would just up the prices. Wouldn't be any cheaper.

Malkqueen

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:38 pm
Employees in the service industry (including waiters, spa employees) legally have a lower minimum wage because it's assumed they'll get tips.
Please tip your manicurist. She's making less money than you think.
I'm pretty sure standard tip is 15%, but even $1-$2 is better than nothing.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just curious why its the norm/expected to tip manicurists/ masseuse? I look at it like this is your job and your getting paid for it. Its like you go to a store to buy something and you have to tip them for purchasing. What am I missing?

Tipping in the personal service industry, in the US is a standard practice. Its a norm, because of history.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:20 pm
It's the norm in the US because all service personnel are expected to earn part of their salaries through tips. The IRS even imputes a certain amount to waiters and taxes on that amount.

If you live in the US, how do you not know that it is necessary to tip the workers. You don't tip the owner traditionally but if you do use services of the owner it is also the "norm" to give a holiday gift or even a birthday gift depending on how long you have been using the services.

The cost of services is what the fee is PLUS 15% or 20%. If you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the services because you are exploiting workers who depend on tips to making a living wage. Tips are also shared with the helpers such as the shampoo girl or in restaurants, they are shared with the busboys and sometimes with the actual kitchen help.

Would you go into a restaurant and not tip the waiter because you paid for the food? FWIW, a few restaurants attempted to have the menu prices be inclusive of tips but most people preferred tipping.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:50 pm
I tip manicurist and massage therapist about 20%
They owners take make of the cut...

singleagain

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:54 pm
I started sending my masseuse tips on zelle. Partly, bc since covid the place won't make change. And I hate putting it on credit cards bc then they for sure don't get the whole thing

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:59 pm
Ok thanks all. Was just curious. Personally I would prefer them just charge me more for the manicure then it feel like an "extra" charge. But now I'll view it differently.
And btw yes I always tip but was just curious about it.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 4:04 pm
This has been discussed a few times. It's the same like tipping waitstaff, or morahs in daycamp even. It's the expected culture.
I do about 20%. It does mean that I can only get my nails done less often, and go out to eat less often. Still is what it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics