Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Jewish kids music - I just CAN’T. Will my kids be okay???
Previous  1  2

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jan 01 2021, 3:52 pm
My toddlers love country yossi kivi and tuki

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 10:57 am
If the kiddie music really gets on your nerves and your kids aren't into it anyway, then no need to play it.

But if you are going to play secular music for them, I'd say just be careful not to play anything with inappropriate lyrics, as kids absorb and repeat things they hear.

There's so much music out there; I'm sure you can find something you both like and that is appropriate.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 12:23 pm
When I was younger the only Jewish music I enjoyed (other than Marvelous Middos Machine, I always liked that, but I think it was more because of the story line than the songs itself) were songs that parodied popular rock songs. So certain music of Country Yossi and the Shteeble Hoppers and, when it came around, Shlock Rock.

For my own kids I really can't stand it. I'd rather them listen to regular secular songs that still teach the importance of being a good person and some of which have real educational value. It took me a while to learn to tolerate some of that myself (man is Barney annoying!) so to some extent yes I still grit my teeth and forever myself to put up with it. But it's the lesser annoying of the musical genres so I can tolerate and even appreciate it.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 12:31 pm
My mom (like me) was prone to migraines, so I didn't grow up with music playing in the background.

I never felt the need to turn my home into a preschool. DD got tons of Jewish music in cheder, and when she got home she just wanted to decompress, not get bombarded with even more music.

If I had a child who was obsessed with music, I would be willing to play it in her room, at a decent level. If I had several musical kids and was blessed with a downstairs playroom, it could go on down there.

NEVER IN THE LIVING ROOM OR KITCHEN! I need my sanity.

I was also lucky that DD didn't sing the same song over and over at the top of her lungs. That wasn't her thing.

To this day, there are very few Jewish singers/songs that I enjoy. The Maccabeats, Fountain Heads, and similar groups were our favorites. I guess it's an acquired taste.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 12:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
To this day, there are very few Jewish singers/songs that I enjoy. The Maccabeats, Fountain Heads, and similar groups were our favorites. I guess it's an acquired taste.

YES! My kids love modern acapella Jewish music and I enjoy it too, but again I think because it often parodies popular music.

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 1:38 pm
I love midos machine. Many of the songs have really great lyrics, and the singers are great. You can listen to them for free on spotify, if you don't mind them being out of order.

Gut

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 2:09 pm
I find it funny. Tons of jewish kids grow up with out oncle moishi and co. Simple because this kind of religiose children music doesn't exist in the languege that the kid understand.

avrahamama

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 6:52 pm
Raisin wrote:
I love midos machine. Many of the songs have really great lyrics, and the singers are great. You can listen to them for free on spotify, if you don't mind them being out of order.

I love all things abie rotenberg.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 02 2021, 6:54 pm
Gut wrote:
I find it funny. Tons of jewish kids grow up with out oncle moishi and co. Simple because this kind of religiose children music doesn't exist in the languege that the kid understand.

These actually are English language songs, that's the whole point.
I am not a fan of most kids' Jewish music, but I find some more tolerable than others. Maybe op can find 1 or 2 CDs or a few things to stream that don't bother her that much. I can guarantee her that at some point her kids will want to listen to music she doesn't care for (whether Jewish or secular) so may as well make peace with it now, lol.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers