Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Always testing negative even when sick

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:02 pm
Does anyone else have this? My son's whole dorm has corona, he feels sick, but his test is negative. I teach in a school, felt sick, coughing and exhausted, test is negative. Another daughter is in high school, lots of people around her have corona, she has a horrible cough, took a bunch of tests over the last few months, and it's always negative. Could it be that some people just don't show corona in their tests?
(anon cause I feel like everyone in my town will know this is me Wink )

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:05 pm
It could be the test they are doing (either nasal swab rapid or obernight) doesn't work for you and you need a blood test.

It could also be you don't have covid or you don't have "enough" of it to test positive. Unfortunately there are still other illnesses out there.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:12 pm
There were a few people on my community that has this. At least two people that I know of tested positive for antibodies afterwards.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:16 pm
Yups. And my doctor and my pediatrician claim that it’s definitely covid

Mothers

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:53 pm
I’d he’s taking antigen tests (usually Rapid) they are notoriously inaccurate, with many false Negatives. He should take a PCR test to be sure.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone else have this? My son's whole dorm has corona, he feels sick, but his test is negative. I teach in a school, felt sick, coughing and exhausted, test is negative. Another daughter is in high school, lots of people around her have corona, she has a horrible cough, took a bunch of tests over the last few months, and it's always negative. Could it be that some people just don't show corona in their tests?
(anon cause I feel like everyone in my town will know this is me Wink )

Rapids are notoriously inaccurate (medical tester told me), and the others can be too.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:56 pm
I feel like this happens to me. Not sure how to treat it. Kids are ok, post nasal drip. I feel under the weather. This is not the first time is happened. For the record we had covid in March/April. Had antibodies in May and October. Had covid like feelings in December and now.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:59 pm
This just happened in my family. My son was sick, Blinding Headache, nausea, Dizziness and High fever. We both tested Negative. I never got any symptoms at all. He has lost his sense of taste.

We spoke to a medical professional who told us that approx 30% of the tests are false negatives.

I tend to lean towards the theory stated by the OP of this thread.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 3:01 pm
I tested negative when sick with symptoms and then lost my sense of smell and taste a few days later.
No one else in my family got sick.

Success10

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 3:10 pm
There's a family in my building that were exposed to a Corona patient, and a bunch of them have symptoms, one of them even lost her sense of smell completely, and yet they tested negative twice. I agree that for some people, it just doesn't show up on a test, and it seems to run in families.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 3:24 pm
Can the test be negative if it's a different strain of covid-19?

bobeli

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 4:18 pm
Test are very new and everyone reacts to the virus differently.
Do a bolod test

flower2

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 4:35 pm
U can also do a respiratory panel to see if u have a diff illness (although loss of smell does go w Covid)

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 5:23 pm
I’ve come down with two viruses since the start of the pandemic. Tested negative for corona and did blood work twice which showed no antibodies. I wonder if it’s just a different genetic disposition.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 5:35 pm
If you feel sick stay home, these tests are not 100% so maybe you do have it. Wait until you feel better to go to work.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 5:50 pm
There are different viruses including influenza. My friend lost her sense of smell and taste years ago from the flu for a full year. My ENT told me he has had patients over the years with loss of smell from flu.
There are flu swabs that you can take. Blood tests to see if all is alright.
Refuah Shelaima!

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 8:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There are different viruses including influenza. My friend lost her sense of smell and taste years ago from the flu for a full year. My ENT told me he has had patients over the years with loss of smell from flu.
There are flu swabs that you can take. Blood tests to see if all is alright.
Refuah Shelaima!

That's makes total sense. A symptom of flu is a stuffy nose. A stuffy nose equalls loss of smell. According to the symptoms of covid, I had covid abt 6x times since March. Every time my body is under stress I react with a stuffy nose-automatic loss of smell and a cough.

ggdm

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 8:58 am
It may not be Covid. Many other illnesses have similar symptoms.

It may be the test. Rapid tests are not so accurate. It may give a false negative result.

It may be the swab. You have to test way back, if you take it from too much in the front, it may not work. Or there may not be enough material or any other error in taking the swab.

It may be the timing. Many people only test positive for a short window around symptom onset. Maybe you are after that window and the virus concentration is already too low, even though you have still symptoms.

It may be clerical error, mixing up results of different people.

Although all of these become less likely if we talk about several persons who test at different places. I'd just be safe and assume Covid and quarantine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics