Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Bed wetting for 9 year old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 4:57 am
my 9 year old son is still bedwetting overnight
I have left it as we have a history of bedwetting - but at 9 and every night is too much

can anyone tell me what worked for them to help bedwetting in an older boy?
he does sleep very deeply

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 5:49 am
The only thing that I know of that works is the bed-wetting alarm, which re-teaches the body to hold in or wake up before the wetness occurs. Using the alarm effectively is a huge effort and can take a couple of months but it does work.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:35 am
I've tried the alarm for my son, it didn't work for us. Ds will be 9 in about a month and I'd love him to go to overnight this summer . I'm going to speak to my Dr about putting him on meds short term so he can go.

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 8:26 am
Did you try therapee by dr sagi? His method worked for us
https://www.bedwettingtherapy.com

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 8:27 am
The only thing I know either give medication or wait until they grow out of it!
Unfortunately, I have way too much experience and I've tried lots of other things!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 8:30 am
No! Please don't use an alarm. It will only help of it's a "training" issue and not a genetic or something else issue. As a kid who wet the bed, it just made a bad situation even more uncomfortable.

weirdo

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 10:48 am
Coffee beanz wrote:
Did you try therapee by dr sagi? His method worked for us
https://www.bedwettingtherapy.com

Thank you, could you tell us a bit more about that, please?

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 11:40 am
weirdo wrote:
Thank you, could you tell us a bit more about that, please?

Combines alarm which is not attached to child just stays on bed with a personalized online therapy approach with a virtual therapist. There is an algorithm that is personalized to your childs age and adjusts goals and provides support.

As long as your child is staying dry during the day it should work Dr. S said. I called and emailed him to make sure. Because he is based in Israel it is better to just email him I called because I wanted to hear the voice behind the method. I did not sit in on the sessions (my husband was more involved) but I know it was very successful for us.

I highly recommend checking out the website for more info. The first few night were an adjustment and made dc a little extra anxious but dc feels so good that this is no longer an issue now.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:21 pm
Supporting your child’s autonomic function with high doses of thiamine and magnesium, maybe some vagus nerve work, treating inflammation and healing the gut.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 12:39 pm
All my DCs wet til 10 or 11 even 12 and 16. I did nothing and they all grew out of it.
For overnight camp there is something you can inhale and when DS went to camp there were other kids that had same inhaler!

As a child my parents tried the alarm on me. It was terrifying and I used to stay up late to disconnect it.

Let nature run its course.

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I've tried the alarm for my son, it didn't work for us. Ds will be 9 in about a month and I'd love him to go to overnight this summer . I'm going to speak to my Dr about putting him on meds short term so he can go.

Before you go with meds please at least look into the therapee method. The meds can have side effects and are not a great long term solution or teaching tool. This is different than other alarms because it comes with support.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 3:06 pm
Assuming there is no medical cause, the best thing to do is be kind and patient. He will grow out of it, usually by age 10 or 11. Invest in pull-ups and wait it out. Trust me, as a former child bedwetter, all the ways my parents tried to get me to stop (even positive methods) just gave me emotional issues about my "problem."

FACT: bedwetting is genetic. My mother bedwetted, I bedwetted, and my children did as well. I gave my kids pull-ups, explained that it runs in the family so their kids might also need pull-ups, and today I have happy, well-adjusted teenagers who all outgrew the problem years ago.

I, on the other hand, suffered for years from the emotional damage of my parents trying to "fix" me. Even when done with love and positivity, you damage a child when you try to get them to change a problem over which they have no control.

NOTE: My parents were kind and loving, and only wanted the best for me. They did not abuse me over this, but they did make me feel ashamed by putting alarms in my bed, asking me to chart my "dry" days on a calendar, etc. These methods only cause the child to feel they are not good enough as they are since believe me they cannot control bedwetting.

weirdo

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 4:11 pm
Coffee beanz wrote:
Combines alarm which is not attached to child just stays on bed with a personalized online therapy approach with a virtual therapist. There is an algorithm that is personalized to your childs age and adjusts goals and provides support.

As long as your child is staying dry during the day it should work Dr. S said. I called and emailed him to make sure. Because he is based in Israel it is better to just email him I called because I wanted to hear the voice behind the method. I did not sit in on the sessions (my husband was more involved) but I know it was very successful for us.

I highly recommend checking out the website for more info. The first few night were an adjustment and made dc a little extra anxious but dc feels so good that this is no longer an issue now.

Thank you so much for mentioning this, I checked out his website with my mom (it's for my lil bro 15 y.o. and they literally tried so many things)
This payable and he will definitely try this out.
So thank you again!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training