Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Pls help me find the right type of therapy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:55 am
Gut voch. DS 9 really struggles with emotional regulation. In his case, whenever he feels an emotion (eg very excited, worried, upset etc.) he becomes incredibly impulsive. He also struggles with low self-esteem.
I really don't want to be shlepping him from therapist to therapist trying to figure out the best type of intervention for him so I thought that I'd ask here and see what others have found effective. His doctor has made a couple of referrals, but I haven't found any of them to be effective for his issues.

FYI, we live OOT so I'm not looking for recommendations for a specific therapist. I'd really just like to know what types of therapists and interventions others have found to help his specific issues. Thanks!

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 8:39 am
Get a diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:42 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Get a diagnosis from a psychiatrist.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm waiting for an appointment with a developmental pediatrician. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic it's taking longer to get an appointment so meanwhile, I'm looking to get some help to address this one issue, which is getting very urgent.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 1:43 pm
Hard to treat an issue if you don't know where it's coming from.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 2:32 pm
If you anyway have an appointment scheduled with a dev pediatrician, I would start with a play therapist. This is definitely something they can help with.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 3:00 pm
Sometimes ot can help depending on the root of the issue. But it needs to be a good one with lots of sensory and regulation experience

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 5:44 pm
OT is wonderful. Floortime is a great option as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)