Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos Sarah - how yeshivish or not?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:11 pm
Confused. Is this seminary Yeshivish or not?

I always assumed it was, but it seems as if every post looking for a NON-yeshivish but frum super academic OOT girl is recommended this place.

Strictly from the Yeshivish angle - compare it against places like Me'or, Seminar, Nachlas, Rinas, Binas, Tehilas

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:17 pm
To me, bnos Sara could be the definition of yeshivish. But I assume not everyone shares my definition

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:17 pm
My sister went to Bnos Sarah about 10 years ago, so it may have changed since then....but I think it was a very healthy mix of yeshivish and JPF, solid girls, from both in-town and OOT.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:22 pm
I went to Bnos Sarah (granted it was one of it’s first years). The overall hashkafa was definitely yeshivish and pushing E”Y and long term kollel , however their was a definite strong minority who were more modern, openly planning to go to college and not have a husband in learning, etc. I would consider it a healthy mix that leans towards very yeshivish but with all types

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 03 2021, 7:27 pm
From what I could find out; it seems like it’s mostly Yeshivish - but OOT Yeshivish (I.e. a bit less sheltered and a bit more open-minded than would be typical of the Brooklyn, Lakewood, Monsey, etc. Yeshivish communities)

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 6:23 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
From what I could find out; it seems like it’s mostly Yeshivish - but OOT Yeshivish (I.e. a bit less sheltered and a bit more open-minded than would be typical of the Brooklyn, Lakewood, Monsey, etc. Yeshivish communities)

Several of my daughters went there. The above is quite true.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 6:38 am
I was in seminary about 8 years ago do things may have changed. I don’t know all of the schools you mentioned but I’d say it’s most similar to Binas. Definitely more yeshivish than Meohr. Bnos Sara is different than other very yeshivish places because they are a little more open minded and less sheltered. They don’t have as many rules as most other bais yaakov seminaries because they trust their students. So girls who are open to hearing the kollel hashkafa but planning to go to college would still feel comfortable.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:09 am
DD was there last year. I agree with the OOT yeshivish description. Most wants husbands that are learning for at least a few years. There are some that won’t go to college and had that hashkafa before they came. I don’t know of anyone in recent years that went to a secular college. What was said about the rules is also true. They aren’t lax, they accept excellent girls that they expect to conduct themselves a certain way without many rules. Attendance, for example, is on an honor system. More yeshivish than Me’ohr for sure. Tehilas is a bit more yeshivish overall, but many girls apply to both, so there’s overlap.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:45 am
imanotmommy wrote:
To me, bnos Sara could be the definition of yeshivish. But I assume not everyone shares my definition

amother [ Brown ] wrote:

amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Several of my daughters went there. The above is quite true.

Able to compare BS’s yeshivish-ness (if that’s even a word) against places like Me'or, Seminar, Nachlas, Rinas, Binas, Tehilas?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:48 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
DD was there last year. I agree with the OOT yeshivish description. Most wants husbands that are learning for at least a few years. There are some that won’t go to college and had that hashkafa before they came. I don’t know of anyone in recent years that went to a secular college. What was said about the rules is also true. They aren’t lax, they accept excellent girls that they expect to conduct themselves a certain way without many rules. Attendance, for example, is on an honor system. More yeshivish than Me’ohr for sure. Tehilas is a bit more yeshivish overall, but many girls apply to both, so there’s overlap.

Of those I listed, which do you feel has overlap with BS in terms of yeshivishness?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 11:56 am
Lakewood yeshivish family here.
A few ppl recommended my DD apply there but she wanted a very yeshivish place, the teacher in charge of seminary in her school advised her not to, she said she wouldn't like it!
I think there are very yeshivish girls there but it's a mixed crowd!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 1:49 pm
Less yeshivish than nachas and tehilas. Similar to Binas but very different since Binas teaches based on chasidus (not to be confused as chasidish)
The other seminaries you mention I don’t know enough about to make a comparison.
I would describe Bnos Sarah as yeshivish. I went there 2017-2018. My year there were a few average brooklyn/lkwd yeshivish girls but most of the girls were oot very frum type though not specifically yeshivish. Prob at least half the seminary went to college and many girls married/are looking for boys who will learn long/short term. Many girls also are looking for solid working guys.
It’s a great seminary and I advise you to look at the Bnos Sarah info thread where ppl described the sem in depth.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:05 pm
It all depends on what you think yeshivish means. My teens call themselves “regular” and girls to the right of them “yeshivish,” meanwhile they are totally yeshivish in my book. It’s hard getting info from imamother for that reason. How do you know what perspective people are coming from?

Our neighbors have a daughter at Bnos Sarah now. Mother and father both work, at well-paying professional jobs. Father is kovea ittim, mother is a baalas chesed. Father wears a black hat on Shabbos and for simchas. Mother doesn’t wear standard new york yeshivish style clothes, she goes for more color and flow (nothing extreme) and is completely tzanua in terms of covering everything. They’re not anti technology but are careful about what they allow. Daughter sounds very happy there.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:06 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Less yeshivish than nachas and tehilas. Similar to Binas but very different since Binas teaches based on chasidus (not to be confused as chasidish)
The other seminaries you mention I don’t know enough about to make a comparison.
I would describe Bnos Sarah as yeshivish. I went there 2017-2018. My year there were a few average brooklyn/lkwd yeshivish girls but most of the girls were oot very frum type though not specifically yeshivish. Prob at least half the seminary went to college and many girls married/are looking for boys who will learn long/short term. Many girls also are looking for solid working guys.
It’s a great seminary and I advise you to look at the Bnos Sarah info thread where ppl described the sem in depth.

I went there in 16-17 and I agree with you about most girls being very frum but not yeshivish
way more than half the seminary, probably almost 100% get some kind of degree
Very very few girls end up marrying solid working guys, I can't think of anyone from my year who did (yet)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:07 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

I don't think this is true, maybe the vast vast vast minority

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I went there in 16-17 and I agree with you about most girls being very frum but not yeshivish
way more than half the seminary, probably almost 100% get some kind of degree
Very very few girls end up marrying solid working guys, I can't think of anyone from my year who did (yet)

So who do they marry ? Kollelman? But they're not yeshivish?
I don't understand

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 3:31 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
So who do they marry ? Kollelman? But they're not yeshivish?
I don't understand

yup, almost everyone marries learning boys

nursemom1

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:27 pm
I went to bnos Sarah and am married to an amazing guy who is in secular college and will be working soon. I know a few other bnos Sarah girls who married working guys but I would say most marry guys who learn at least in the beginning

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 23 2021, 10:31 pm
nursemom1 wrote:
I went to bnos Sarah and am married to an amazing guy who is in secular college and will be working soon. I know a few other bnos Sarah girls who married working guys but I would say most marry guys who learn at least in the beginning

Hi What year? I was there 16-17.
And yeah, most if not all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics