Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Vyvanse hindering growth?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:30 am
My son is on 30mg vyvanse for over a years time and Bh were thrilled with the results, he’s a different kid. He was never a huge eater but eats supper well and I can’t say has a hard time falling asleep. He’s always been on the short side but lately it’s been bothering me more... he’s having his Bar Mitzvah in 3 months and he’s mini. His parents aren’t very tall either 5’4” and 5’3” I’m just wondering if anyone thinks that the meds might be hindering his growth. Anyone with that experience. If it is hindering how would I be able to choose between behavior and growth?!?!

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 1:16 am
Yup ds psychiatrist said it could stunt growth & hinder the appetite.
Talk with the dr right away

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 12:45 pm
If he is growing on his regular curve, I would not worry. Its very possible that he has short genes, and he wouldn't be tall either way. I had the same situation with my DS. He is on a similar medication. He doesn't eat during the day, but fills up supper time. He is short, but has been on the same curve since he is young. We did go to endocrinologist before his BM, and he said it was due to short genes and didn't recommend stopping the meds or growth hormones.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 1:02 pm
My son on vyvanse needs to go for weight and height checks every two Months. If you are checking that regularly and your doc is happy with the growth curve then I wouldn’t be concerned. If you’re not going that then you must start.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 5:11 pm
What percentile is he on the growth chart? Has it changed since starting the vyvanse? If it has I would be concerned, if he continued to grow on his curve I would be less concerned. My son is on vyvanse and needs to eat a big breakfast and then a very late dinner in order to continue to gain weight. His pediatrician should be following his growth closely and checking height/weight at all appointments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)