Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Imperial Couscous

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:23 pm
This turned out well - I made it with beef but if I make again I will try with chicken thighs instead.

The dish has protein, carbs and veggies so no need for any other dish so it's a relatively easy dinner. Much of the prep can be done ahead and braised dishes are forgiving. I use whole wheat couscous and it's so fast and easy to prepare.

My comments regarding the chickpeas was confusing - I don't generally use dried beans but use canned - I wasn't intimidated by using dried chickpeas in this recipe but you can sub canned but I think they might be a little softer.

I didn't think 1/4 cup of oil was necessary

Imperial Couscous

Excerpt From: Joyce Goldstein - The New Mediterranean Jewish Table

Beef, lamb, or chicken can be used for this couscous. This version is a cross between a recipe from Tangier and one from Fez. Algerian cooks prefer beef or chicken for their couscous, but not lamb, and sometimes beef and chicken are used together. On Rosh Hashanah, cooked quinces are added along with the raisins to increase the sweetness for the New Year. If served on the night before Passover, fresh favas might be added. When this same stew is served with barley couscous, the dish is called tchicha, and when served with new wheat (freekeh), it is called azenbo. In other words, if the grain changes, the name changes, too.

SERVES 6 TO 8

1 cup dried chickpeas, picked over, soaked in water to cover overnight in the refrigerator, drained, and rinsed
2 large yellow onions, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon saffron threads, finely crushed and steeped in ¼ cup hot water or meat or poultry broth
¼ cup olive oil - I didn't use this much
6 large or 12 small carrots, peeled and cut into 1½-inch chunks
3 large or 6 small turnips, peeled and quartered or cut into 1½-inch chunks
2 pounds stewing beef (such as boneless short ribs, chuck, or brisket) or lamb (such as shoulder), cut into 2-inch pieces, or a mixture of beef or lamb and bone-in chicken pieces
1-pound piece winter squash, such as kabocha or butternut, peeled and cut into 1½- to 2-inch chunks
6 small zucchini, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
½ cup golden raisins
Couscous (page 158)
½ cup almonds, toasted (optional)
Honey (optional)
Harissa, for serving

In a saucepan, combine the chickpeas with water to cover by 3 inches and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down the heat to low, cover, and simmer until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Drain and reserve.

Put the meat, onions, salt, pepper, ginger, saffron infusion, and oil in a stew pot and turn the ingredients in the oil to coat evenly. Add water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour if using beef or lamb. If you opt for a mixture of meat and chicken, add the chicken after the first 30 minutes.

Add the reserved chickpeas, carrots, turnips, and winter squash and cook for 30 minutes longer.

Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and raisins, cover, and cook until all of the vegetables and the meat are tender, about 30 minutes longer.

Pile the couscous on a platter. Using a slotted spoon, lift the meat and vegetables from the stew pot and arrange them around the couscous, or make a well in the center of the couscous and put them in the well. Top with the almonds.

Taste the pan juices and adjust the seasoning, adding a little honey if you like. Scoop out 1 cup of the pan juices and mix with harissa to taste. Spoon the remaining juices over the meat and vegetables. Serve at once and pass the harissa at the table.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:30 pm
Why did you write cooked with the other ingredients if it says to cook the chickpeas for an hour first?
This looks really good.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 2:33 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
Why did you write cooked with the other ingredients if it says to cook the chickpeas for an hour first?
This looks really good.

What I meant is that sometimes recipes for dried beans are a real potchke but this one was simple as part of the prep. I will clarify it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics