Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Torn About Leaving Brooklyn - Special Ed Kids

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:12 pm
I'm in a tight apartment in Brooklyn and would love to buy a house because my children (ages 8-16) need more space. I will have to move out of Brooklyn in order to afford to buy. Being that I have some children in special ed (learning disabilities) I am very torn about moving out of Brooklyn because I really like their school programs.

Advice please! I know some families bus in from Staten Island or Linden NJ. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, if you moved to Lakewood/Jackson/Toms River area and have a special ed child, how has it been with schooling? What is available and is it affordable?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 7:37 pm
special video services are much more readily available in ny than nj. Check your op carefully before moving

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:07 pm
But if you do move, lakewood might be the best place. (it's harder in toms river and the other neighboring towns)

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 8:11 pm
If you are considering the Lakewood area be very careful about surrounding towns. I don't know what kind of program your children need but some school districts give a very hard time about approving out of district placement such as schi or center school.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 10:09 pm
We are stuck in Brooklyn too. I'm doing it for my kids. The special education we have here is light years ahead of anything we will find outside of brooklyn.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Nov 23 2020, 11:46 pm
I live in staten island. My daughter is in a special ed school and she busses in. Bh no issues.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:50 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
If you are considering the Lakewood area be very careful about surrounding towns. I don't know what kind of program your children need but some school districts give a very hard time about approving out of district placement such as schi or center school.

Thank you for this info. I have a lot of family that moved to the Lakewood area in recent years so the idea intrigued me, but I had no idea of the nuances about different school districts.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
We are stuck in Brooklyn too. I'm doing it for my kids. The special education we have here is light years ahead of anything we will find outside of brooklyn.

Nice to know I’m in good company 😃

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:55 pm
Staten island is still nyc also far rockaway and Bayswater so nyc services are still available even if not in Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 6:57 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I live in staten island. My daughter is in a special ed school and she busses in. Bh no issues.

Good to know. I will take this into consideration.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 7:00 pm
zigi wrote:
Staten island is still nyc also far rockaway and Bayswater so nyc services are still available even if not in Brooklyn

Yes, but with housing prices, it seems you get more bang for your buck in NJ re: the square footage.

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:24 am
the Five boroughs all work under the same NY City special ed laws. If you live in Staten Island, you can receive the same placement and services if your child goes to school in the Bronx. In most cases, transportation will be available. If you live in New Jersey and send to school in New York City, you can continue to receive services because the law says your service mandates go according to where your child attends school, not your home address, once the child is five years old. Of course, transportation will be an issue. Federal law says that if you change schools within a state, your child’s previous mandates must be honored. If you change states, the previous mandates must be honored until such time that new evaluations take place. Unfortunately, unless you tell the new district, and point it out in the law, they will try to ignore it and deny all services for as long as they can get away with it. Different localities, however, have different ways of providing services. For example, outside of NYC, there is no such thing as a P-3. In NYS, this means that your child may be taken to a public school for service and then returned to their private school. In New Jersey, the state provides academic intervention in various ways. In Passaic, for example, there is a program that provides special ed teachers that go into the school to give mandated academic support. Trying to get evaluations and related services in Lakewood, and the surrounding coMmunities, however, is very difficult. As much as we complain about special ed services in NYC, it is a far better situation than anyplace else in this nation. Talk to someone from Florida,Texas, or Oklahoma. The stories will make you cry.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for this info. I have a lot of family that moved to the Lakewood area in recent years so the idea intrigued me, but I had no idea of the nuances about different school districts.
If you move to Lakewood proper you should have no issue with schooling. If you move to Jackson you will definitely have an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating