Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
England lockdown
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 04 2021, 7:35 pm
Another 8 weeks of this.
Crying

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:37 am
sending you strength.. Take it hour by hour

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
sending you strength.. Take it hour by hour

Thank you!!

I’m thinking of taking a job as a postman, so I can be classed as a key worker LOL

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:52 am
good to keep your sense of humor!

sending you and everyone love and strength!

wishing everyone much continued hatzlocha in every way

We need moshiach now!!!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:55 am
I am sorry for you

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:12 am
My kids are considered vulnerable, so looks like they'll still have school
And bh my little ones are in early years

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:16 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
im not from GB Can you elaborate on this? What does it mean vulnerable kids have school and others don’t’?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:35 am
Wishing you strength and sanity.
We had a long winter in Melbourne
From my experience :
See if you can go excercise near a green space somewhere.
Worth meeting up with the one person allowed to go for a walk together.
Keeping a routine going was another lesson I learned for our winter lockdown.

elisheva25

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:01 am
Soo sorry the world has gone mad !!
What does a lockdown in England mean ?
Do your kids have school ?
I feel like that’s what makes it or breaks it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:52 am
Thanks everyone!

We’re back on remote learning.

I’m working from home, if you can call it working!

DH goes into the office as the kitchen sink is the only available surface to work from.

Any recommendations for bulk buying chocolate?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

I’m sorry you’re children are vulnerable.
Wishing you health, strength and all the very best.
Hoping for better times for you. I hope you’re getting the support you need, in these difficult times.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:51 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
im not from GB Can you elaborate on this? What does it mean vulnerable kids have school and others don’t’?

The government has said all children of key workers and vulnerable children can continue going to school. This is accompanied by a list of key workers and also a list of what is considered a vulnerable child. One of the things on that list is not having adequate quiet space or devices to study at home. Seeing as many frum families have enough children to warrant their home not having enough space for each child to have a quiet area, and also many are not using devices for remote learning, the schools have been very lenient and allowing all children to return.
Unfortunately for me the schools my children attend are not taking that view, and only truly vulnerable and children where both parents are critical key workers are being allowed to school. The rest are either learning on zoom, or on the phone, depending which school.
Which in my case means that every morning my husband and I have to leave to work, since our work is key to our paying bills, rent, and food, and leaving a bunch of children ages 14 and under to 'school' themselves.
If that isn't insanity I don't know what is.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:38 pm
Kids are home and it’s freezing cold outside.

Not all that much fun doing this all over again and even harder because of the weather. We were so fortunate last time- it was a most glorious summer.

But when there was 830 deaths and 60,000+ positive cases today, I understand why they have to take this approach.

PG they will reach their target of 13million vaccines given by February half term and we can send the kids back to school. That includes the NHS workers, all those in care homes and their carers, anyone over 70 and one more group of vulnerable people but I can’t remember what it is!

They have 6 weeks to do that- let’s see if they manage to pull the stops out and get it done.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:47 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
The government has said all children of key workers and vulnerable children can continue going to school. This is accompanied by a list of key workers and also a list of what is considered a vulnerable child. One of the things on that list is not having adequate quiet space or devices to study at home. Seeing as many frum families have enough children to warrant their home not having enough space for each child to have a quiet area, and also many are not using devices for remote learning, the schools have been very lenient and allowing all children to return.
Unfortunately for me the schools my children attend are not taking that view, and only truly vulnerable and children where both parents are critical key workers are being allowed to school. The rest are either learning on zoom, or on the phone, depending which school.
Which in my case means that every morning my husband and I have to leave to work, since our work is key to our paying bills, rent, and food, and leaving a bunch of children ages 14 and under to 'school' themselves.

Please don't leave your kids home all day without adult supervision. A 14 year old is not old enough to babysit for a full day. Is their any type of pandemic unemployment like in US?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:23 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Please don't leave your kids home all day without adult supervision. A 14 year old is not old enough to babysit for a full day. Is their any type of pandemic unemployment like in US?

I appreciate your concern (not being sarcastic)
There was a furlough scheme back in March which we utilised. I dont know if it is still ongoing but at this point neither our places of work would deal with that anyway, its back to business. Everyone is continuing with regular life, its impossible otherwise.
Bh I dont work full time, and dh works close enough to home he can check in every couple of hours. Before I leave I set them up with things to do and everything they'll need, and the oldest 2 alternate watching the younger ones.
But I know it's not ideal, it's only been a couple of days now, its likely this wont be a long term solution. The problem is I really don't know what the solution is. No family I can ask since they are all working, even if I found someone able to babysit, I can't afford it, and I can't exactly ask friends, they are all in the same situation.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Kids are home and it’s freezing cold outside.

Not all that much fun doing this all over again and even harder because of the weather. We were so fortunate last time- it was a most glorious summer.

But when there was 830 deaths and 60,000+ positive cases today, I understand why they have to take this approach.

PG they will reach their target of 13million vaccines given by February half term and we can send the kids back to school. That includes the NHS workers, all those in care homes and their carers, anyone over 70 and one more group of vulnerable people but I can’t remember what it is!

They have 6 weeks to do that- let’s see if they manage to pull the stops out and get it done.

I wish one of the groups would be teachers so that schools can open!
I do understand that the situation isnt good, and in some ways it really is terrifying. But we have been told over and over that primary school children are not spreading the virus, and school is perfectly safe. Then overnight they are all shut. So which is it?
All of my children has had their class or classmates or teachers in quarantine at some point over the last few months. In none of those cases did the original person catch the virus in school, nor did it spread to anyone else in the class.
Obviously that's just anecdotal, but it does make this situation more frustrating to me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:44 pm
I'm so upset to be in this position again op, I can't actually believe it. I was quite down yesterday just thinking about how we've got to entertain the kids in this freezing weather for weeks on end, and how are they ever going to learn anything?! They need to play with friends. How are their social skills going to be effected? It's so sad!

I'm waiting to hear if my kids will be allowed back as I'm a keyworker. Oh the suspense! We hear tomorrow... For now they're home and already bored because it was so last minute for us (London had a bit more warning) that the work hasn't been sorted yet.
And they're now saying it's till March, some say schools could be shut for some kids till the summer holidays. Hashem yerachem.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Another 8 weeks of this.
Crying

Why 8?
I thought till feb.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I appreciate your concern (not being sarcastic)
There was a furlough scheme back in March which we utilised. I dont know if it is still ongoing but at this point neither our places of work would deal with that anyway, its back to business. Everyone is continuing with regular life, its impossible otherwise.
Bh I dont work full time, and dh works close enough to home he can check in every couple of hours. Before I leave I set them up with things to do and everything they'll need, and the oldest 2 alternate watching the younger ones.
But I know it's not ideal, it's only been a couple of days now, its likely this wont be a long term solution. The problem is I really don't know what the solution is. No family I can ask since they are all working, even if I found someone able to babysit, I can't afford it, and I can't exactly ask friends, they are all in the same situation.

That's so hard! Furlough is definitely still on until March but I think only for closed businesses, or severely effected ones. I'm so sorry that you need to leave your kids. Do the school know that they're on their own all day? Maybe they can make an exception for them.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:49 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

Awww thats so crazy!!
Its so unfair for you.

Im waiting to hear till tomo too...
Furlough should be happenign again, even if you didnt get last time.

Can I ask where you live?
Im in Mcr and wondering which schools will do that here..
Where I live most of the schools are sooo lenient, I wish my kids school was.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics