Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What does "academic" mean?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 4:52 pm
What do people mean when they say on here that a school is "very academic" or that a girl is very "academic"? Does it refer to secular studies or Jewish subjects or both?

Are boys and boys' schools also referred to as "academic" or "not very academic"? I feel like I don't really see that verbiage applied to boys and their schools on here, but maybe I have just overlooked it.

My daughters are still many years away from high school and we live in a small community where nobody is choosing between so many schools, so I don't hear these fine distinctions being made IRL. My husband and I didn't grow up frum, so we didn't grow up with these discussions either.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:04 pm
It means the school places a high value on good grades and advanced learning, not just barely covering the basics mandated by whichever state or city agency governs standards of education.It usually goes together with stiffer entrance requirements, a heavier courseload, more rigorous graduation requirements, and an expectation that students will attend a "real" college. For example, a less academic school may admit students with just a passing average and not offer any AP classes, while a more academic school may admit only students with an 85 average or higher and require students to take several AP classes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:08 pm
Deleted - never mind, I misunderstood.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 5:11 pm
It means they put a lot of stress on schoolwork, marks and doing well. They often move quickly through information and cover a lot of ground. My child's old school was considered academic and it applied to both english and hebrew subjects.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics