Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is it wrong to say this?

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 6:56 pm
I love every parsha in Sefer Bereishis. I could spend three weeks on each, just listening to shiurim on each of them.

I told my husband the other night that I'm so sad it's done. I said that the rest seems "boring". And, well, other things. I'm feeling guilty about the way I feel and what I've said.

Is there a halachic basis for saying things like you don't like learning a part of Torah? I'm sure there is, but I'm too ignorant to know it. (Maybe I should pay more attention in Sefer Vayikra, lol).

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:13 pm
I relate, I also love Sefer Bereishis! I also feel a bit of a letdown when it’s over for the year.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:19 pm
I think you need to study more.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:31 pm
The narrative in Sefer Bereishit is easier to relate to than some of the dry details of korbanot in Vayikra. It makes an instant appeal on many levels, whereas Vayikra you have to invest a lot of effort before beginning to get anything out of it. (As an aside, the next few weeks with Yetziat Mitzrayim and Matan Torah are also wonderful narratives and easier to relate to.)

If you invest more effort in learning the other sections of the chumash, you are likely to find gems there as well - which will be cherished all the more for the effort involved in extracting them.

I don't know that it is wrong to say that you don't like learning a certain part of Torah, but perhaps impolite. Personally I would say it the other way round - that Sefer Bereishit is your favourite, and that you miss it when the time comes to move on to other sections of the chumash.

Last edited by Elfrida on Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:32 pm
On the flip side, dovid was punished for being flippant and saying, mah ahavti sorasecha kol HAYOM hi sichasi

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:33 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I love every parsha in Sefer Bereishis. I could spend three weeks on each, just listening to shiurim on each of them.

I told my husband the other night that I'm so sad it's done. I said that the rest seems "boring". And, well, other things. I'm feeling guilty about the way I feel and what I've said.

Is there a halachic basis for saying things like you don't like learning a part of Torah? I'm sure there is, but I'm too ignorant to know it. (Maybe I should pay more attention in Sefer Vayikra, lol).

Once you’ve learned through Kodshim - you’ll really enjoy Sefer Vayikra.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 7:49 pm
IANAR and this is not a halachic opinion, though I have a pretty good idea of what the halacha is likely to be and so do you. But look at it this way: suppose you gave someone a gift, let's say an assortment of scarves or a collection of plants. Now suppose the recipient said to you "I love the rainbow tie-dye scarf, and the purple azaleas are gorgeous, but the rest are pretty boring." Need I say more?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jan 05 2021, 8:11 pm
Rephrase. "I haven't yet really figured out how to connect to those parshios." Because that's exactly what you're saying.

Did you have a teacher or is there a speaker that no matter what they were or are teaching or speaking about, you would sign up or go, just based on the speaker? Because you know that they make everything interesting, and you find new meaning in things you never really thought about? If that person spoke about a parsha in Vayikra, you would come out with something real. On these parshios, you need extra guidance, and can't get there by yourself. And that's fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions