Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:34 am
Yeah I know - roll your eyes because why do you need a recipe for chicken salad. For some reason my chicken salad never tasted the way I wanted - something was off. This is a recipe for curried chicken salad which I like - obviously can be served on greens instead of a sandwich.

The recipe has directions for poaching the chicken but is obviously optional. The advantage of poaching chicken for a salad is that the chicken is both moist and flavorful. And of course the poaching liquid adds flavor and complements the dressing.

Adding the greens - including the mint and basil leaves added both flavor and a pleasing texture to the sandwich.

Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Excerpt From: Mitchell Rosenthal - Cooking My Way Back Home

MAKES 6 SANDWICHES

POACHED CHICKEN

½ yellow onion, sliced
1 teaspoon dried chile flakes
3 cardamom pods
½ cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
Salt
2 quarts water
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts

For the Salad

⅓ cup dried currants
½ cup roasted cashews, roughly chopped
½ cup diced apple
⅓ cup diced fennel
⅓ cup diced celery
½ cup Mayonnaise
1½ tablespoons curry powder
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups mixed salad greens
8 fresh basil leaves, torn
8 fresh mint leaves, torn
6 soft rolls, split horizontally

TO POACH THE CHICKEN, in a wide saucepan, combine the onion, chile flakes, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt, and water, bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 minutes. Lower the heat so the water is barely simmering, add the chicken breasts, and cook gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is opaque throughout.

Remove the chicken breasts from the poaching liquid and discard the liquid. Pat the chicken breasts dry, season with a little salt, and let cool completely.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, soak the currants in lukewarm water to cover for 10 minutes to plump them. Drain well and set aside.

When the chicken is cool, shred it into a large bowl. Add the currants, cashews, apple, fennel, celery, mayonnaise, curry powder, and lemon juice and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES, in a bowl, toss together the salad greens, basil, and mint. Lay the bottom halves of the rolls, cut side up, on a work surface. Divide the chicken salad equally among them, then top the salad with a handful of greens. Close with the roll tops, cut in half, and serve.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jan 06 2021, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

cbsp

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:46 am
Weird thing to ask on a recipe that has curry in the title, but is there anything that can be substituted for the curry (or can it be left out?)

I seem to have a physical reaction to Indian food (I literally go weak in the knees and can't stand or walk for a while after eating) and I've narrowed it down to curry (possibly the cardomon or larger amounts of tumeric).

Since I've avoided curry I can't say I have a feel for the flavor and therefore don't intuitively know what to do with a recipe that features it.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:51 am
cbsp wrote:
Weird thing to ask on a recipe that has curry in the title, but is there anything that can be substituted for the curry (or can it be left out?)

I seem to have a physical reaction to Indian food (I literally go weak in the knees and can't stand or walk for a while after eating) and I've narrowed it down to curry (possibly the cardomon or larger amounts of tumeric).

Since I've avoided curry I can't say I have a feel for the flavor and therefore don't intuitively know what to do with a recipe that features it.

Realistically curried chicken salad requires curry. LOL

Without curry it would be a different kind of chicken salad which could be good but some of the ingredients in this recipe might be weird as generally you don't have apples and currants in a standard chicken salad and walnuts instead of cashews are used - if nuts are in it at all.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:53 am
Here's a recipe for Waldorf Chicken Salad which has some of the ingredients - I have never made it so can't verify the end result

Ingredients

½ cup chopped walnuts
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1 large Gala apple, diced
1 cup diced celery
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup honey mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.

Step 2
Stir together chicken, next 5 ingredients, and walnuts. Add salt and pepper to taste.

cbsp

Post Wed, Jan 06 2021, 10:58 am
Amarante wrote:
Here's a recipe for Waldorf Chicken Salad which has some of the ingredients - I have never made it so can't verify the end result

Ingredients

½ cup chopped walnuts
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1 large Gala apple, diced
1 cup diced celery
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup honey mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.

Step 2
Stir together chicken, next 5 ingredients, and walnuts. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks for taking the time to find this recipe, it looks yummy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey